It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The moment of silence in Public Schools

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Now I am not sure if the moment of silence has ever been discussed here, but let me give you the scoop.

I attend Salem High School, and The first Act of business when we get to class, is to stand for the pledge, and wait one minute for the moment of silence. The history of the moment of silence is it is a Voluntary moment of prayer. Now I thought that they got rid of religion in schools.

Do you believe that there should be a voluntary moment of prayer in School.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I'm a Christian (Baptist) and I could care less, either way. You can't impose prayer upon anyone and you can pray any time you're alone or able to be silent.

I remember standing to say the pledge of allegience in school when I was very young. I don't even remember if it meant anything to me at the time. It was just something we had to do.

I found it amusing years later in college when a poli/sci professor pointed out that that is a form of state propaganda. I spent years looking at the Soviet Union and how they used propaganda. It never occurred to me before the man pointed it out, that we are just as indoctrinated through our public schools. :shk:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
A moment of silence is just that. How you spend that moment is up to you. It has nothing to do with religion.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Moment of silence? Do they say who it's for?

You know, it's been over 25 years since I was in high school. To be honest, I don't remember saying the "Pledge of Allegiance" at all, but I'm sure we must have because I attended public high school in the late 1970's-early 1980's. I guess what I'm saying is it didn't kill me. I don't ever remember it ever being an issue with anybody ever. We just said it I guess and went on with class. It was part of the day, nothing more......why are people freaking over this today? Why is this an issue today?

Ford, is it a voluntary moment of silence?
.......or a voluntary moment of prayer?
2 different things when you think about it.
Silence is giving respect (for whatever you choose I expect...they're not telling you that you have to worship God here, are they?)
But prayer is for God.

Is it mandatory? Can you sit down during this if you choose?
What does your school call this? Voluntary silence? Or voluntary prayer?
I know in public schools, practicing religious views are left out. But, I do remember including "God" in the pledge was not a problem when I was growing up. It was never a problem, but it seems nowadays it is. This makes me sad. Also, when I was young if you wanted your kid to learn religion you sent him to a Catholic school. I don't remember other religious schools being around back then. And I am ignorant if others exist today. But if you went to public school, God was never brought up ever by a teacher, unless it was small talk, and never offensive at all. Like I say, if you wanted your kid to be exposed to God at school he went to a Catholic school.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 01:09 AM
link   
People are way too sensitive these days.

That's b/c they are now officlially allowed to.

When I was a kid, people smoked everywhere. In hospitals, in court, everywhere.

Now if you pull out a cigerette, people go nuts.

Waaahh!

People in America are way too soft, b/c our reality doesn't match up with the real reality that goes no all over the world every day. We are BUBBLE PEOPLE.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
It is mandatory to stand and be quiet. Also if you are in the halls, You must stop moving, and remain silent. The teachers will punish you if you are; not standing, talking, & "horseplaying???"

I just find it odd that you must stand, and be quiet for the moment of silence, but you don't have to for the Pledge.(State Propaganda)

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ford Farmer
It is mandatory to stand and be quiet. Also if you are in the halls, You must stop moving, and remain silent. The teachers will punish you if you are; not standing, talking, & "horseplaying???"

actually, you don't have to stand for the pledge
i'm a senior in highschool and refuse to stand for it (my reasons are stated in another thread on the pledge)

i don't talk
i just sit down on the floor
there are judicial precedents that state my right to not stand as part of freedom of speech

anyway, i have no problem with a moment of silence
do with it what you will
i WOULD have a problem if someone started praying out loud

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i don't talk
there are judicial precedents that state my right to not stand as part of freedom of speech

do with it what you will

How contradictory!
You state: "there are judicial precedents that state my right to not stand as part of freedom of speech".
You want your "freedom of speech", huh? Then why would you have a problem if someone started praying out loud? Because they're invading your air space? Because words frighten you? Because you're afraid they'll influence your train of thought.
What are you afraid of? God.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll
How contradictory!
You state: "there are judicial precedents that state my right to not stand as part of freedom of speech".
You want your "freedom of speech", huh? Then why would you have a problem if someone started praying out loud? Because they're invading your air space?

no, i'm PASSIVELY using free speech
they are actively
also, i'd have a problem because it's a moment of SILENCE
1 more thing, it's freedom of and FROM religion

Because words frighten you? Because you're afraid they'll influence your train of thought.

no, i'm not afraid of anything but the violation of the first amendment

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
i don't talk

do with it what you will

How contradictory!
You want your "freedom of speech", huh? Then why would you have a problem if someone started praying out loud? Because they're invading your air space? Because words frighten you? Because you're afraid they'll influence your train of thought.

Why are you attacking a kid whose exercising their right to voice their opinion? Does Democracy scare you?

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I will try to answer the question the best i can:

Religion is a personal belief to a person that fits most and represent his ideologies and way of life. To teach a juvenile kid from the first ages the religion to follow is a propaganda of religion. Well, better said, convertion.
At the early years, a Kid can comprehend others feelings, he can understand others sayings, they are starting to formulate ideologies, but they lack logical thinking. Not that little Kids are stupid. They are naive. They follow their parents example and do what they do. At the early years, Kids are mimics.
From my point of view, i never saw my parents going at church, so i remained neutral towards religion. Instead, i watched my father reading too much ''conspirancies'' and now i can proudly state that i follow his example.
To continue, there are three ''silent moments'' you should take into consideration:
-''silent moment'' in honor to our dead relative
-''silent moment'' in honor to a dead hero
-''silent moment'' in honor to our God
In the third one i am not opposed. Why?
I will speak again from my personal experience:
At high-school we got both Cristians and Muslims. Or headmaster was christian do and before getting into our class for the lesson to begin we were obliged to pledge to God. The point is that this was not so bad for Muslims since one God is in our religion (Orthodoxy) and one God is Allah. What made them feel uncomfortably was that our entreaties were in our religion. I don't want others to feel bad in what i am doing so i reported that to my headmaster. What was his reply?
''Are you one of those who deny our tradition, what our fore-fathers left us and so lightly you will let the infidels have access even to our way we pray?''.
He was shouting while he was telling that and i was not so matured to reply more than a ''no'' and turn my back away in cries.
Today, in order not to babble you with my strories, i believe that is wrong to abandon the silent moment. why this is so bad?
Instead i believe that a silent moment is best for both of them who want to pray in their God (no matter in what religion he/she believes) and also he does not annoys the other who share no belif.
I am saying that becouse i have met people who in order not to make others feel so frustrated in a country where the religions are different they ant to abando everything.
I shall tell you about a story that happened in Thessaloniki and all of the Greek newspapers wrote about it:
In Thessaloniki the people celebrate Christmass by decorating a ship. The Muslims wanted to add their own symbol (i do not remember what, maybe a tree). Everyone (politician and minister) started arguing that WE should not decorate ship this year. Suddently, While were in peace Christians started fighting with Muslims. At a moent before riot, a Muslim Imam went to the Mass Media and demanded to correct his statement the journalists deliberatly changed!!! What was his true statement?
''We do not want to stop decorating your ship, what we want is next to your ship we to place our own symbol (perhaps tree), for the unity of our people, Muslims and Christians together''.
To remain on topic, i believe in free speech and to abandon the ''silent speech'' is a mute in free speech to those who want to follow this example. I strongly believe that everyone is free to do what he wants with his freedom to stop when other's begin.

Dragon

[edit on 18-1-2007 by Dragonlike]

posted on Jan, 18 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I am all for a silent moment. If we all agree that is cool. There is absolutely nothing harmful about a moment to reflect or pray. We could all use more of that.

I am not for pushing my faith (Christian, Baptist) down anyone else's throat. If someon becomes curious about my faith, I will gladly share my experiences and reflections on it with them. Beyond that, I leave it at that.

It does influence my political views, but they are always evolving as facts reveal themselves. I can only pray to God that He would guide my thinking/reasoning and point me towards the light in all endeavors.

top topics

join