It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vacumes, and duct tape (wonderfull stuff)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I was at the hospital the other day visiting Jimbo and we were talking as usual Survival. I happened to be talking about my ALICE pack and how well I packed it. I said its still fairly light to me but its just full I wish I had more room.
Well one thing led to another and in a pause in the conversation there was a annoying advertisment on TV. It was a lady putting several blankets in a bag and hooking a vacume to it. Jimbo and I looked at each other and smiled. That was the answer. As soon as I got home I started. For my sleeping bag I rolled it up as tight as I could get it put it in a garbage bag stuck the vacume hose in it and sucked all the air out. I put a string with a slip knot just ahead of the vacume hose and with the vacume still sucking I pulled the slip knot tight, when all the air was out of the bag. I then took duct tape (wonderfull stuff) and taped the opening shut. It took some practice but I vacume packed everything I could in my pack and coudnt get over how much more room I had. SO I got to put in more stuff. The bags seep after a while but once its packed it cant expand to much and the pack seems lighter intil all the bags fill back up with air

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Not a bad idea.

Seems like trash bags would start leaking fairly fast though.

You can get fairly heavy plastic bags in various sizes at Industrial Supply/Janitorial Supply stores.

And once the survival equipment was removed for use, the plastic bags would have other uses.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Say you do as you do and vacuum pack everything, and you reach a stop off point on your journey to Situation X base camp, you take stuff out of your bag to use and the next day when you go to set off again your stuff is no longer vacuum packed size and takes up more room, how would you get everything back in your bag?

[edit on 13-1-2007 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I agree that having to rely on a vaccume cleaner to pack your bags is a bad idea, but if you still wish to go that route, there is a better way than to use string and duct tape. Take a look at this product:
Bag Button

Sure, it's an infomercial, but the concept is sound and I bet you could come up with your own home made version with little dificulty.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
honestly I had not thought of that, but now that you have brought it up.

By using the method ime using things don't stay vacuum packed for long its only to get more stuff in. So ime not breaking the vacuum by using the stuff because the vacuum is already broken. the stuff in the pack once its all there can only expand to the limits of the space. It is possible to stuff it all back in but it takes a ton of work. I will admit I got a little excited and didn't think this one all the way threw. Got excited thought I could finally give the ATS survivalist community a new idea. Ime gonna get one of those buttons thanks Terapin

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
all is not lost however. Keeping a loose items in the safe room and around the house will be easier this way. if I get better plastick and a bag button or three I can vacume pack some of the electronicks thus keeping them waterproof. hmm this idea might be a good one after all.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Space Bags - Home Shopping Club. Those babies are awesome!

It's too funny that you mentioned it actually as I just ordered another big set of small , medium and large bags. They're really handy. Providing you have a vacuum and electricity

For light emergencies where you have to grab and go but get to head back home after an all clear they are absolutely great. Sleeping bags, down comforters (my two down comforters get deflated in spring and they squash down to virtually NOTHING...too cool).

One thing to note - make sure the items you're storing longer than a few months are freshly washed and BONE DRY and don't use dryer sheets or fabric softeners. The chemicals in the dryer sheets and fabric softeners will make the items wreak of chemicals...especially dryer sheets which use a synthetic oil. It will also likely leave residue stains on the fabric being compacted...the chemical oils leech out.

Also available on Home Shopping - dryer balls. no static, and no chemical scents or residues...much gentler on the fabrics...and they really work.

there are different makes and models of vacuum sealers as well. Some are ridiculously expensive others, like the Space Bags (or similar knock offs) are better priced.

You can make your own as Angry Am. suggested and it's a fabulous idea!

Duct tape is great for nearly everything ain't it?? it is fibrous though and may not last over time. I'd experiment with electrical tape, teflon tape or carpet tape. They are also water proof and super sticky...good with heat or cold.

I like the idea of making them... cheap and cheerful. Especially if they do the job!

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Why couldent you just buy the space saver bags and then you have the ones that work with the vacuum? Then you get that little hand vac (might be worthwile doubling as a water pump) and there you go. You got the convienence of the vacuum bag and the duality of the supplies. Win win.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   
If i am not mistaken, those bags work on a one way valve system. If you need to repack the next day, you in theory could just roll the stuffed bags until most of the air escapes. At least this way you could effectively repack without a vacuum. Try this out and let us know. I'm curious.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
The type of space bag I mentioned does indeed work on a one way valve system and by rolling and compressing them you squeeze out the air inside. Once thus compressed they retain the "vacuum" and store in a smaller space. You open them much like a standard zip-loc bag, the valve being on the opposite end. As they are made of fairly sturdy plastic, you can reuse them many times. Great for travel or long term storage. You can often find them at your local corner pharmacy/convience mart (Walgreens, Brooks, Osco, Eckerds to name a few) or even the dreaded Wal*mart.

new topics

top topics

join