It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird Flu: 2 More Deaths in Indonesia, Cluster Feared

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Indonesia has had four bird flu deaths in the past week. Following the deaths of a 37 year-old woman and a 14 year-old boy earlier in the week, two more women have died. One was a 27 year-old from south Jakarta; the other was 22 years old from Tangerang. In addition, the husband and 18-year-old son of the 37 year-old woman from Serpong in west Java who died Thursday are both in hospital being treated for bird flu. The son is confirmed as infected with bird flu, signalling a cluster case says Nyoman Kandun, director general of communicable disease control at Indonesia's health ministry.

www.alertnet.org
Two Indonesian women have died of bird flu, a health ministry official said on Saturday, taking the overall human death toll from the disease in the country to 61 amid a spike of new cases.

A 27-year-old woman from south Jakarta died after entering Persahabatan Hospital in the capital on Thursday for treatment, Muhammad Nadirin of the health ministry's bird flu information centre said. She died on Friday evening.

The second death was of a 22-year-old woman from Tangerang west of Jakarta, who died in the early hours of Saturday, the official said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Bird flu is popping up with a vengeance again.

China, South Korea, and Indonesia have reported human cases.

Japan, Nigeria and Vietnam are dealing with outbreaks in poultry.

The WHO expects a global resurgence of bird flu, along with colder weather and the winter flu season.

There is no evidence as yet that H5N1 is transmitted easily human-to-human, but cluster cases can be a warning sign.

Related News Links:
www.tradearabia.com
news.xinhuanet.com
www.dnaindia.com
www.ipsnews.net

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Indonesia: 59th Bird Flu Death; New Case Confirmed; 4 Other Cases Suspected, with One Death
Bird Flu Spreads in S. Vietnam: Sparks Fears Whole Country At Risk
Bird Flu Spreads in Nigeria
Human Bird Flu Sometimes Asymptomatic Warns WHO Spokesperson

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The 18 year-old in the suspected cluster is in now in critical condition.

A boy, positive for bird flu, is in critical condition

JAKARTA (JP): An 18-year-old boy, son of a patient who died from bird flu several days ago, has tested positive for bird flu and is in now critical condition.

The doctor said the other seven suspected bird flu patients had not yet been confirmed whether they were positive for the disease.

Four people have died this week from bird flu, lifting the death toll from the disease to 61.

Related, from Bloomberg:

Bird Flu Cases Climb in Indonesia; Virus Kills Poultry in Japan

Bird flu killed two more Indonesians, infected fowl in Japan and reached another Vietnamese province, signaling a resurgence of outbreaks similar to last year, when the virus spread to more than 30 countries in the first quarter.

"This time last year, it began to pop similarly and then it began to spread," Peter Cordingley, a Manila-based spokesman for the World Health Organization, said in a Jan. 11 interview. "We saw it go across central Asia into the Middle East, into Europe and into Africa. We don't know whether it's going to happen that way this year, but this virus is very versatile and I think it would be foolish to bet against it."

A 26-year-old woman from South Jakarta died late yesterday of the virus, Suyono said. The cases bring to at least four the number of confirmed infections recorded in the Southeast Asian nation this year after a hiatus of almost two months. South Korea, Nigeria and Hong Kong have reported diseased birds in the past month, while China and Egypt found new human cases.

format oops

[edit on 13-1-2007 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Another bird has tested positive for H5N1 in Hong Kong, and Japan received final confirmation that H5N1 caused its poultry outbreak.

Another dead bird tested positive for H5 virus in Hong Kong

Japan confirms H5N1 bird flu strain in latest chicken deaths in southern Japan

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
It is very worrying!

A worse than ever flu' season, Norovirus rampant, Denegue rampant, RSV rampant, Chikungunya rampant, West nile rampant, Rift valley fever rampant.
The world is at it's most vulnerable.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Murphs
It is very worrying!

A worse than ever flu' season, Norovirus rampant, Denegue rampant, RSV rampant, Chikungunya rampant, West nile rampant, Rift valley fever rampant.

Yes, it is.

It definitely will get worse before it gets better.

But it is NOT the "hand of God."

It is the direct result of industrial agricultural practices, the mis-use of modern medicine and technology, and generally, mucking with things that affect the macro and micro environment.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

It is very worrying!

Yes, it is.

It definitely will get worse before it gets better.

But it is NOT the "hand of God."

It is the direct result of industrial agricultural practices, the mis-use of modern medicine and technology, and generally, mucking with things that affect the macro and micro environment.

You didn't say that!!! You tree hugging liberal..

I totally agree and I don't know when it will end or where it will end. We (as in humans) are solely responsible for ruining the planet

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   

It is very worrying!

...But it is NOT the "hand of God."

...You tree hugging liberal..

Moi? NEVER! "lol:

I totally agree and I don't know when it will end or where it will end. We (as in humans) are solely responsible for ruining the planet

PLEASE NOTE: If we are responsible for ruining the planet, then we also have the power to fix our mistakes.

Interesting concept, dontcha think?

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   

It is very worrying!

...But it is NOT the "hand of God."

...You tree hugging liberal..

Moi? NEVER! "lol:

PLEASE NOTE: If we are responsible for ruining the planet, then we also have the power to fix our mistakes.

Very interesting concept! Can we go back though? Have we caused too much damage to heal?
We could damn well try to halt the progression though!! Off to hug a tree.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

[

Very interesting concept! Can we go back though? Have we caused too much damage to heal?

Never too late.

Where there's life, there's hope.

FYI - nearly all this stuff is exacerbated by amount of exposure, so the smaller the doses of exposure, the better able we are to 'handle' it.

Which means cleaning up the planet will work, at least by keeping exposure levels down to handleable amounts.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   

[

Never too late.

Where there's life, there's hope.

FYI - nearly all this stuff is exacerbated by amount of exposure, so the smaller the doses of exposure, the better able we are to 'handle' it.

Which means cleaning up the planet will work, at least by keeping exposure levels down to handleable amounts.

We will never go back to what we had before, though. To much has been done. I am all for halting degradation and lessening exposure
Someone once said to me, "God us the ability to grow, think and design. He also gave us the ability to destroy." I am quite a devout Catholic and had my beliefs so I thought about this one until my head hurt.

If we are cleaning up this planet, you take the scrubbing brush and I'll take the mop..

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Indonesia reported that another woman suspected of having H5N1 bird flu died on Saturday.

A suspected bird flu patient dies in Semarang

JAKARTA (JP): A woman, who is a suspected bird flu patient, has died in Karyadi Hospital, Semarang, with the result whether or not the patient is positive for bird flu to be received on Wednesday.

Elshinta radio station quoted an official of the hospital that the woman, who was admitted to the hospital on Saturday last week, at 11:00 a.m., died on the same day later in the evening.

According to the official, the woman blood sample has been to Jakarta with the test result to be received on Wednesday

It remains unknown whether or not the latest cluster and other suspected Indonesian clusters result from human-to-human transmission of bird flu. Some authorities claim that H-2-H transmission needs genetic susceptibility.

Some people are concerned that stray cats in Indonesia carry bird flu. Bird Flu update: Alarm as infected stray cats roam the streets

new topics

top topics

join