It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Attorney Sacked Over Alleged Failure to Prosecute Smuggling and Gun Cases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 10:06 AM
link   
San Diego U.S. Attorney Carol Lam has apparently been asked to step down by the Bush Administration, which appointed her to her position in 2002, over an alleged failure to prosecute gun and smuggling cases. Sources close to Lam claim she is being targeted by the Justice Department because she is independent and outspoken.

www.signonsandiego.com
The Bush administration has quietly asked San Diego U.S. Attorney Carol Lam, best known for her high-profile prosecutions of politicians and corporate executives, to resign her post, a law enforcement official said.

Lam has had high-profile successes during her tenure, such as the Randy “Duke” Cunningham bribery case – but she alienated herself from bosses at the Justice Department because she is outspoken and independent, said local lawyers familiar with her policies.

When she took over, Lam made it clear that she planned to focus less on low-level smuggling cases in favor of public corruption and white collar crime, which would mean fewer but more significant prosecutions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I highly recommend reading both the articles linked on this story. The circumstances surrounding this nearly unprecedented attempt to replace a US Attorney have much more to them than simply a failure to pursue proper prosecutorial emphasis.

There may be a hidden attempt here to use a little known provision of the Patriot Act to effect indefinite appointment of US Attorneys by circumventing the Senate confirmation process. Lam may not be the only one targeted for replacement in this manner.

Related News Links:
www.nctimes.com

[edit on 13-1-2007 by UM_Gazz]

[edit on 13-1-2007 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Hmmmm, I wonder if this could be tied in with the situation of the Treasurer, Paulson who is supposedly in trouble for laundering money we are supposed to pay to the Wanta Company?

It states she was aggressive in prosecuting politicians and corporations, I can see how that wouldn't set too well in Washington!

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I hadn't thought of that. It seems a bit of a stretch, a possiblity, but not likely.

That would be one heck of a connection, though, wouldn't it? What if that was the reason this provision was inserted in the PAct, to give the government an out when dealing with wildcat investigative appointees like Ms. Lam that bring attention to sensitive, potentially embarrassing, even compromising activities engaged in by our elected officials. Is the PAct a shield for national security purposes, or for national criminal activity? It could work either way.

What if Ms. Lam did come upon information in the course of her investigation of Cunningham that led to discovery of other, more grievous incidents of malfeasance, such as you have mentioned, interestedalways? Wouldn't the government want a tool such as this secret provision of the PAct to quietly remove her from her position and squelch her investigation?

I said when I broke the Cunningham story here on ATSNN he was just the tip of the iceberg of corruption in the halls of the powerful, and it has given me no pleasure to see the headlines of the past year prove me right again and again. The truth though the heavens may fall.

Is this story linked to the Wanta Trillions? Do they even exist? It wouldn't surprise me anymore if the answer to both questions was yes.

What is for sure to me is the system needs people like Ms. Lam to keep it in check, and we need more people like her looking out for us in this day of the PAct and runaway government excess in all its rampant forms.

She shouldn't be terminated. She should be promoted.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
This is just payback for not playing nice with the rest of the team. The people he should be firing he allows to stick around and the good ones he gets rid of. Its obvious.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Senator Dianne Feinstein, (D-CA) was just on CSPAN addressing new legislation to this very issue. She cited the Lam case and said Congress needed to rescind the provision of the PAct allowing this circumvention of the Senate confimation process. Interesting development.

new topics

top topics

join