It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New insights into Adhesives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 08:01 AM
link   

www.physorg.com...

This scanning electron micrograph image shows bone glue, which can help bone resist fracture and can heal itself when its bonds break. Image credit: Paul Hansma, et al. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 2005; (5)4:313-315.

In trying to create a “glue” that would hold right up to the breaking point of the material being glued, scientists have found that such an ideal adhesive already exists—in bone, abalone shells, and spider silk, to name a few areas.

At first glance this seems like a very ho-hum discovery. Then my eyes fell on this quote...

“It’s important to make a composite material without compromising the material’s properties of the strong components, such as the nanotube or graphene sheet,” Hansma explained to PhysOrg.com. Optimal glue would enable these materials to retain their intrinsic properties—especially strength.

As Hansma et al. explain in their paper in Nanotechnology, optimized adhesives can hold together strong elements of materials, and yield just before these elements would break, so as not to cause the entire structure to break.

This is a VERY significant discover that hopefully will be applied to CNT ribbons soon. One of the primary drawback of using CNT Ribbons in the Space Elevator for instance is that with each bond, the entire structure gets weakend(or some such I am very tired atm and cannot come up with the proper termanology).

How much will this boost CNT's strength up to the theoretical maximum? Who knows. If it approaches that magical number of 70 GPa in tensile strength though...

[edit on 13-1-2007 by sardion2000]

[edit on 13-1-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Gecko tape will stick you to ceiling

Synthetic gecko hairs promise walking up walls

Here is some semi-related research in adhesion. This is true nanotech as the physical forces involved are only available at the nanoscale. Van Der Waals forces. If we can find some way to meld this with the theory above, then we could see the big breakthrough that will finally make a whole new class of materials commercially viable for the first time soon.

As I look back 5 years, I am completely astounded at the progress in this field as quite a few of my "predictions" on the development timeline proved to be waaay too pessimistic(and people back then were calling me Optimistic
) But anyway.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Tis cool - but we've already hit paydirt with CA, PU and some epoxy's when used on porous materials i.e. wood. The tensile and peel strengh of these glues is well beyond the yield strength of the base material, but alas, not self healing....

We use some 6000psi shear strength epoxy on the race car and it takes major heat and a chisel and then a grinder to get that stuff off. Hysol product I think and it's bonding an aluminum skin to 4130 steel....

join