It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mods, A Question About Etiquette

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 03:32 AM
link   
A lot of potentially good threads get derailed on the first page by posters who don't have anything to add, they just don't want anyone else to talk about it, whatever the topic. I initially noticed it in threads about race, but now I'm seeing the same behavior all over the forum.

(If I'm not being clear, I have examples, I just didn't want to pick on anybody.)

I read the T&C, but I didn't see anything that directly addressed this. Do you see this behavior as a problem? Or, have you reached the conclusion that there are 'contrary' personalities who disagree for the sake of disagreeing?

Just wondering...

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
My opinion on this is that there will always be those who would rather change the subject than address the issue. Most of the time I run across this, I either ignore it completely or mention it in hopes of moving the discussion back to the subject.

One problem I notice is that once one person goes off topic, others respond to the off-topic tangent, taking the entire thread out of whack. At those times, I usually leave the thread, sadly.

Another problem is that instead of dealing with the subject, posters will comment on the poster with whom they disagree, which is entirely irrelevent. Example:

people like BH don't like to check the facts, but instead try to make every post into a "let's bash the U.S. and the current administration"....

It is obvious from her response that she hasn't bothered to look at what has been happening ...
She is a lost case ... and so are some other people around these forums...

It's a classic case of trying to discredit those with whom they disagree in an effort to make their position look more believable. It's the last hope of a person who's argument has no basis.

So, when I see people go off topic or move into personal attacks, I either ignore it or ask that the thread get back on topic. After several requests, it usually does, with the help of other posters also interested in keeping the thread on track. If it doesn't get back on track, I can at least have an intelligent debate with those who are willing.

It is very frustrating, though. But I realize that I just can't control everyone's posting habits (damn it!) and there are going to be those (usually the same people) whose only option is to derail the topic or move into personal attacks.

C’est la vie...

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Oh BH... That is just amazingly ignorant! I can't believe you think the way you do!

You know I'm just getting warmed up for the election!

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
If you come across threads that are being derailed, or any other issue, please use the Suggestion button so the staff can investigate.

We can't be everywhere all the time, so if you have something you want to get off your chest, please do let us know.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This is silly but I want to know. What do you mean? I am fairly new to ats and trying to get my etiquette down. Any recommendations and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by theutahbigfoothunter
Any recommendations and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Through my experiences with ATS, this is the best advice I have come across yet.

Our Super Moderator TheBandit795 posted this thread some while back.

Your attention is needed please...

The portion of the thread that pertains to what your asking is,

Originally posted by TheBandit795
With this post, I command all ATS members (who are warned regularly) to watch mandatory football (soccer for U.S. nationals) and basketball (NBA preseason will suffice, or the other domestic leagues around the world).

Watch the games and watch the games good. Pay especially attention when fouls are being committed. Notice why a foul is commited. Please do!!!

You will notice that when a player is called for a foul it's because he went after the opponent instead of the ball.

I repeat:

You will notice that when a player is called for a foul it’s because he went after the opponent instead of the ball.

I've yet to come across better advice. Very simple and straight forward.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Exactly, chissler. I heard it put another way. If you're talking about the subject, you're on topic. If you're talking about another poster (as in my example above), you're off topic.

theutahbigfoothunter - I always ask myself "Is this on topic"? and I go back and read the original post to make sure. Admittedly, sometimes the answer is "Not really", but asking the question helps.

And if the subject is about something having to do with the government or the war and someone is railing about Democrats vs Republicans, you can bet the thread is being politicized, which is OK in PTS, but isn't supposed to be OK in ATS.

Hope that helps.

[edit on 13-1-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The past two weeks have been especially trying in this regard (several occurrences I've had to deal with directly) and I've come to the conclusion that ATS requires an above average intelligence and by definition that means the majority of people on the web won't make the grade.

That's not an elitist statement it's a simple fact. My experience has been that more educated, and or experienced people are MUCH MORE civil because they understand both sides of most issues, they don't necessarily agree with both sides obviously, but they are intelligent enough to argue the TOPIC and not the person.

For those who truly want to learn, are intelligent enough to understand that flaming (name calling) other posters is child's play and simply BORING, ATS can be a haven for the enjoyable discussion of just about anything. Realizing that there are "contrarion personalities", people who just want to fight, (AKA: "Arseholes") in this community, like any other community is the first step to getting your "ATS Legs".

So hang in there and keep your chin up and remember the "Complain Button" like Simon said, it's impossible for us to see every thread (10% would be a huge number) so if you see something offensive to the TAC hit the button.

Just to show how easy this is...
Here's a tip even the dimmest, most immature, knuckle headed dullards can use and survive at ATS:

Topical focus NOT personality focus, is the answer. BUT, if you don't know the material you'll not be able to argue the topic. If you can't argue the topic but it just strikes you as wrong and you feel you simply MUST post something DON'T take the moron's way out and attack the other member who you disagree with.

You'll get warned and if you persist you'll get banned, so try this, ask the member who DOES know the material where you can research it so you too can argue the topic.

Springer...

[edit on 1-13-2007 by Springer]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Springer...

From one that knows this personally,

we all slip...
We all get angry...

Sometimes we lash out....

Your advice is one for the ages and worthy of posting at the top of the ATS page...

I for one have printed it and put it right by the monitor to remind me to have more patience and understanding and always attempt to see "both" sides of the coin...

From me, I thank you..

Semper

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Thank you, everyone, for your replies.

Simon, I've considered that course of action, but then I'd end up complaining more than I actually post.

chissler, I like the sports analogy too. Plus, I preview my posts, like, 5 times, so I usually have time to calm down, delete that paragraph that went off topic... you know.

Springer, "ATS legs," I like that. With my first ATS b'day coming up, I guess it's appropriate for me to start asking questions... like a baby holding her head up for the first time, taking that first look at her surroundings. Cool.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
HH,

I must say, I have always considered you one of the most polite and well informed posters on here...

Just my 2 cents

Semper

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I agree with Semper on that statement, you guys and gal that have posted here are polite by what you say in your posts. That is one reason out of many as to why we have lasted so long on here. As for the flaming on topics lately, I haven't been around much to really delve into that.

I wonder what you folks have to say about me?

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
A lot of potentially good threads get derailed on the first page by posters who don't have anything to add, they just don't want anyone else to talk about it, whatever the topic.

Why would you even bring this up? This isn't something that we should be discussing.

Do you have any concrete physical evidence that this is happening, something that can be mailed to me personally so that I can examine it, or are you just going to give me a 'link' to a 'webpage' that has 'people' doing just that?

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer

Here's a tip even the dimmest, most immature, knuckle headed dullards can use and survive at ATS:

You rang???

(And if you immediately get the reference, boy are you showing your age)

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
If you come across threads that are being derailed, or any other issue, please use the Suggestion button so the staff can investigate.

We can't be everywhere all the time, so if you have something you want to get off your chest, please do let us know.

Ok, that is good to know. I see this happen alot on Athiest and Christian posters. Not all of them are bad but it is the same people. I would have you review it next time I see it. Maybe these groups of people are soooo opposite that it seems like that but I will forward it next time....

new topics

top topics

join