It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather Here In Scotland.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
raining all the time
strong winds all the time

im glad i didnt watch "the day after tommorow" last week.

this is some of the worst weather i can remember for a long time, and the cold as well has been bad, cant remember it being this cold ever.

sat in my car in town the other day, in the shaddow of edinburgh castle (We do that by the way, sit at castles
) and the sky was a shade of black i hadnt seen before, that black that all the cars had to put lights on, and this was like 12:30pm early afternoon.

its all mad i tells ya

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Edinburgh forecast for Saturday 13th: High: 53° F / 12° C

If 35-55F degrees in January means "cold as well has been bad, can't remember it being this cold ever." I suggest you check the map and see where you really live.

Edinburgh Average Climate - January
Min Temp (°F) 32
Max Temp (°F) 43

Scotland’s natural heritage: a victim of global warming
THE WARMER winters being ushered in by climate change could rob the Scottish landscape of its most iconic landmarks in the future.

Amid reports that 2007 is set to be the warmest year on record, environmental experts said that the county's Caledonian pine forests, snow-capped peaks, great salmon rivers and famous grouse moors could all become a thing of the past.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

El Nino says your going to have plenty rain...

[edit on 13-1-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Guess what?

Next week looks like being just as wet and windy for you in Edinburgh as this week has been.

It's called winter! However, recent winters have tended to be blocked, meridional one - so we get northerly or even easterly winds and Scotland tends to be drier and calmer. Traditionally though, at this time of year, zonal westerlies are more common. I think the Atlantic is just making up for the last 2 years!

At least it's putting a bit of snow on the hills though. Could well be a good ski season this year (Feb-Apr is the main season in the Scotiish hills)

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Ill Back this up, I'm in Northern Ireland and iv never seen wind, rain and storms like it..... the weather reports no rain for today and its lashing, so don't use the reports to contradict an eye witness, that's just foolish

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Who says your an eye witness or a reputable source of information? You been taking measurments for decades and are bonded by the government to be certified and reliable? Do you even have a meteorological website or a degree in climatology?

People make crap up, cloak their world in emotionalized garbage and lie all the time, even to their own parents and friends. That in itself is one of the major problems in this world, and if you need an example how people make crap up and lie to the point of causing death, go look at Bush and Blair.

I'll go by what the instrumentation and scientific data says before listening to some anonymous person's subjective view of reality is, or I will go experience it for myself before ever taking internet hearsay as true or real.

[edit on 13-1-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   
quote 'I'll go by what the instrumentation and data says before listening to some anonymous persons subjective view of reality is.'

Lol you sound like the pilot who flew into the mountain in South America.

I live Atalntic coast too and can confirm we've had a heck of a bashing. Not cold just wind and more wind.

Is it unusual? Not really but the warmth is very strange. Plant and animal life seems to not know what to do about it.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kickoutthejams
Lol you sound like the pilot who flew into the mountain in South America.

The pilot was on a website learning how to fly from Joe Anon Paluka, I suppose too.

I wasn't arguing against climate change. It's here and it's very real, but I don't buy into the ice age cometh tomorrow crap, especially when we have just started a new solar cycle and it's forecasted to be unprecedented.

El Niño-Southern Oscillation

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Weather patterns this year (for the UK) have been quite similar to 1983 (which was also an el nino year) - which also had a very mild, wet and windy January. Followed by a cold and at time snowy February. There are signs that a shift in patterns is likely to start from next weekend. Although before them we have more stormy weather on the way ....

Btw the last January we had like this was .......................... 2005. When Carlisle was flooded and NW Scotland battered by the 'Hebridean Hurricane'.

And if you want a really mild, wet and windy winter in Scotland look no further than 1989. The year that cold, snowy winters came to an end. And the year I decided to spend the whole winter backpacking through Highlands

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Dude whilst it is true in some cases you shouldn't take a random persons view as truth on a subject, if i say something like "its raining outside" iv nothing to gain by lying, it was raining outside, ill take a timestamped photo next time jeeese........

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Maybe you don't think you have anything to gain, but who's to say your rational or competent and who defines rationality or competency?

Plenty of strange folks around that have nothing better to do than to emotionalize and dramatize their world in order to gain some attention. They will inject fear and trepidation into their lives and those around them in order to feel and get feedback. It has little to do with objective reality and more to do with being a subjective fallible human.

Thus, I don't make statements such as "it's colder than it's ever been" without basing it on facts and data or I would be seen as a loon.

[edit on 15-1-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
He was offering up a casual observation, seeing if anyone else had noticed it, there is plenty of people seeing little green men on this thing go criticise them.

[edit on 15-1-2007 by Cs_Exile]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 11:45 AM
link   
You don't speak for others or have any authority in telling me what to do in regards to addressing false statements, where there's little merit or honor in making excuses, assumptions or being complacent to lies and disinfo aka deny ignorance.

I don't have any direct experience in little green men in order to formulate any sort of criticism and you can't prove or disprove a negative either, so arguing if ET is here or not is a waste of time without proof.

I can prove by scientific fact that "it's not colder than it's ever been" in Edinburgh and I am experienced in climatology and meteorology.

[edit on 15-1-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
at the risk of this turning into a flame im opting out of this post now, just cool your jets, u seem to get bogged down in little details and trying to be right, you can do what you want. Just "don't present your own observations anywhere and be told your wrong" does not seem to be the philosophy of this board. especially when your not claiming anything fantastic or finite

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cs_Exile
Just "don't present your own observations anywhere and be told your wrong" does not seem to be the philosophy of this board. especially when your not claiming anything fantastic or finite

The philosphy on this board is denying ignorance.

Colder than ever is wrong, so have a look at just one example:

Source of data from Wunderground

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Just to update on the Topic.

Gales of 70mph are expected to batter Britain this week - with colder conditions following.

Much of Scotland, down to Manchester in the north of England, is likely to be hit by high winds over the next few days, MeteoGroup UK said.

Forecaster Rachel Vince said: "There will be very strong winds across Northern Ireland, southern Scotland, northern England and north Wales."

She said everywhere from Glasgow to as far south as Manchester could be affected.

A second period of calmer weather will then give way to more high winds towards the end of the week

Source

Weather warning are already in place for wed.

Met Office Weather warnings

[edit on 15-1-2007 by psycho81]

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Well next week could well be cold in Scotland - though by no means the coldest it's ever been
Certainly looks atm like being the coldest spell of the winter thus far

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I'm glad you blokes are getting some rain, cause water is becoming a precious commodity in many parts of the world. Looks like Sir David Attenborough will be on BBC1 next Sunday with a show called Climate Change: Britain Under Threat.

Britain 'will be tropical by 2100' UK Times

ROASTINGLY hot summers, monsoon-style winter rains and flooding, plus the destruction of much of the nation’s ecosystems and wildlife will make “our green and pleasant land” almost unrecognisable by 2100, Britain’s biggest weather prediction experiment suggests.

The warming will give Britain a climate ranging from semi-tropical in the south to Mediterranean in Scotland, accompanied by long droughts in summer and intense winter rainfall.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I'll wait for the IPCC's AR4 - I bet that isn't quite so apocalyptic

Still, ironic the programme will be on just as the first proper cold spell gets here!

top topics

join