It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rubber Masked Imposter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   

On 22 November 1987, sports anchor Dan Roan of Chicago's WGN-TV News Network was narrating the video of the day's football highlights when something highly unusual happened. The pictures on the station monitors in the studio suddenly began to jitter and twitch. Across Chicago, countless other televisions did the same, as Dan's clips of the Bears game were lost in a brief flurry of static and replaced with the sinister, grinning visage of Max Headroom. Most viewers were familiar with the techno-stuttering character from the recently canceled television program bearing his name, and from advertisements for the New Coke soft drink. But there was something unsettling and surreal about this rubber-masked imposter.

www.damninteresting.com...

[edit on 13-1-2007 by One_Love_One_GOD]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shortened huge cut/paste

Added link due to copyright concerns

[edit on 16/1/07 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Whatever the impostor's intentions, he certainly took significant risks to bring his nebulous message to the televisions of Chicago. The exhaustive investigations by the three-letter agencies turned up nothing substantial, and over time the FCC and FBI resigned their manhunts without any significant insight into who he was, how he did it, or why. To this day the unexplained transmission of 22 November 1987 remains an historic curiosity, since it represents the last such signal of its kind… no other instance of a complete hijacking of a commercial broadcast has occurred in the US in the twenty years since. For now the mysterious masked Max Headroom lookalike remains at large, but his backside may never truly be safe from the mighty flyswatter of justice.

So what was the purpose of this, has anyone an Idea of what he was trying to achieve, I have to say I have no idea but I'm very intrigued.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Footage of said incident:

www.youtube.com...

News Broadcast on the incident:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
No one found this interesting then, npt sure it has anything to do with any kind of conspiracy but though perhaps there was more to it that met the eye, ah well, the guy probably did it for nothing more than bragging rights, interesting little story none the less.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Not much of a conspiracy but definitely an interesting article. thanks for posting. It was probably just done by a bunch of teenage hackers who wanted to have a little fun..it's surprising they didn't get caught.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
never heard of this before though i do live in england strange none the less.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
That Video was Hilarious.

I wish people still had the balls and the know-how to do this on a regular basis (on a station I don't watch, that is) to show up those fat cow television networks.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 07:10 PM
link   
How strange I reckon if I was just watching tv and someting like that came on i'd be a little scared that rubber mask was quite freaky.

Odd how these things don't happen anymore though you'd think with advances in tech it would be easier. Probs a good thing really that no one does it.

Interesting find never heard of it before

new topics

top topics

join