It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American schools should have some sort of cell phone jammer

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
What will they do when cellphones become very small and are implanted in the cranium, just under the skin?

"Students, please deposit your heads in this box and then we will begin class."

I'm just sayin'...

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

Perhaps there is a red switch behind their heads with a light that tells you if its off and on.
So you can tell those that have it on, to turn if off.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JamesMcMahn
I went to a Magnet High School and I can tell you its just like being in college. 90% of high schools students wouldnt do well there.

Oh, that sounds lovely. I would have enjoyed that when I was in high school.

To me, it seems that there has been a trend where instead of people taking responsibility and acting upon themselves, people would rather have some authority just ban something. I feel that an instructor should be able to handle their class enough to keep some sort of order.

Though I've only been out of high school for almost five years, reading through some of the threads here just blow my mind. It seems as though things have changed so much already. Although, I did go to a school out in the boonies, so I am sure that also impacted my experience in high school. In my college capstone class, I have encountered students texting, calling, et cetera right in the front row of the lecture. I could not even imagine doing that, much less in a smaller classroom setting like in a high school.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The problem seems to be that schools are not disciplining students. The problem of disruptive cell phone use in schools can easily be solved by confiscating students' phones or punishing students in some other way.

Unfortunately, for one reason or another many schools cannot effectively punish students. Maybe it is because parents think their kids are too precious to be punished and give schools a hard time when schools mete out discipline. Maybe it is because there are a lot of goofballs working as teachers and principals these days.

Back when I was in school, teachers took away walkmans and beepers from kids all the time. They were not allowed on campus. Teachers viewed both as a distraction. (When I was in school, it was presumed the only people that owned beepers were drug dealers and surgeons on call.)

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by racerzeke

what would happen if a man with a gun runs in to the school and starts killing people and no one can call for help because there phones are jammed or block from service. that would be a big mess for the school board to clean up wouldnt it. so in this case alot of people would sue and alot of people would be missing there loved ones (i my self would sue to the moon and back). so cell phone jammers should never be in a place where shooting or any sort of mass-killing has happened.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
haha, its a good idea at least. At my school there is rampant texting in the middle of tests, lessons and what not else. The kids will text each other complaining how boring it is in school during a lesson then complain the teacher is bad when they fail a test or the class. I am all for using the special metallic curtains etc but not exactly for signal jammers as im not really one to like having certain high powered things emitting near me .

next thing i know ill be yelling at my friends to get off my lawn haha.

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Love the idea.

NEED to make a call?

Have you forgotten that most school rooms and the office have land lines?

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I am a principal of a school and we had this discussion today. My teachers and staff are tired of all of the cell phone distractions. I think that most of us over the age of 25-30 made it through school without having someone able to contact you at every moment of the day. Many of the so called parent emergencies are a result of poor family communication and planning. Cell phones also cause many dangerous situations. Students hear a rumour that they are going to get "jumped" or fight after school. They don't come to us to help solve the problem...they text somebody outside the school who comes up armed with who know what to "take care of business". Many times these so called alarms are the result of people trying to cause conflict, but before there is any actual dialogue something bad happens. Our rule is this: first time warning-turn over phone and get it at end of day; second time: phone confiscated- adult must come pick it up; third time we keep it until end of year or enrollment. Many kids are already past 3 and now we are suspending and doing other more punitive actions to no avail. Students buy new phones like they are buying candy at the store. How do we stop this or teach restraint???

Del Dobbs

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Id just like to say this is a horrible idea. When I was in school my cell phone was the only connection I had to my family. If an emergency occurred I would have to answer my cell no matter what.

Emergencies happened on more than one occasion. My mother got a flat tire on the highway and my sister needed important documents, among other things.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

Emergencies happened on more than one occasion. My mother got a flat tire on the highway and my sister needed important documents, among other things.

Seems like we all have different opinions on what is 'an emergeny' ?

Anyway, if one single supplier of cellphones would just launch a model, WITHOUT textmessaging, and with only numbers to be programmed by parents and protected with a code or something like that, then there would be no need for a jammer at schools.

Too bad cellphones have become multimedia toys, instead of a basic tool for basic needs.

Just another big business, and when youngsters get a taste of this there is no more stopping it.

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Emipie

There were more intense emergencies but I dont wish to talk about them...

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I'm sorry to hear so, my apologies for a misplaced quote in this case.
There was no bad intentions involved.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracymaster

We did not have cell phones when I was a kid and young adullt and we did just ffine without them. It is almost as if a phone has become your God and you can't live without it. The phone companies have done a great job of brain washing you into thinking you must have it and use it. 90+percent of all calls are just useless idle chat anyways. As for your rights. The constitution guarantees me the right to bare arms but common sense rules have been placed on this right.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Don't see the big deal, if you have to hang on to the teachers every word to do well in class, then maybe you should lighten up a bit and do some personal learning. Although I spent most of my time in the hall and chatting up girls and still got through so maybe i'm the exception.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I think it is acceptable for some institution to adopt
cell phonejammer some time, for example, examination, conference etc. Temporary prohibiting cell phone would be helpful in the case.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime

How about teachers and schools just enforce the code. Use a cell phone get detention, suspension, sent home, whatever.

Well, more and more schools in American use cell phone jammers to diasble cell phones in school.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Helig

That's all fine and dandy until the teacher is called upon to explain why his/her student failed to get a decent grade and the school sends the teacher packing because the parents have brought suit or something. As ridiculous as it sounds, it could happen.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Let's just cut to the chase and jam everyone's brain.

What is it with humans and their compulsions to control?

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join