It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American schools should have some sort of cell phone jammer

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
How about teachers and schools just enforce the code. Use a cell phone get detention, suspension, sent home, whatever.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Oh man I wish I had a cell phone jammer for the movies! Some moron is always talking during the movie, or at least taking it out and waving his flashlightesque superbright color screen in my eyes. What kind of self centered egotistical idiot would ruin everyones times with their phone? I know who ---- Its the kids parents who call at least twice during the movie to make sure they know when the movie is ending, and that their kids are coming home right after. The parents calling thier kids are the problem! Heres an idea parents, and everyone else who says "what if:"

question: "What if (example of everyday event) happens? And my cell phone is being jammed!?"

answer: DO WHATEVER YOU DID BEFORE YOU HAD A CELL PHONE!

There is a company now thats suing the US to make their cell phone jammers legal. They say that the current law that makes them illigal conflicts with some homeland security law, or something.. Anyways we might get jammers here soon.

Heres some links to buy jammers: (phone, gps, wifi..)
link1
link2
Heres a page that tells you how to make jammers and receivers:
]link3

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:59 AM
link   
My oldest daughter just turned 9 and what do you think she got for her birthday? Yep. A cell phone. My 7 year old and 5 year old twins have a phone that they share between the 3 of them. All four of my daughters know how to use a cell phone appropriately.

It all boils down to manners and not the cell phones. Hopefully parents these days are still teaching proper landline phone ettiquitte so it shouldn't be that difficult for them to teach courtesy and common sense when it comes to cell phones!

Having a cell phone on campus is not a problem. It's the ding-a-lings who text during class thinking it makes them look more popular or important that need to be dealt with!

Jemison

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
what kind of emergency will parents think first to call the kids cell phone? even if they get the call what can the student do? they cant just leave... it would be smarter to call the office, then have the student taken out of school that way

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Absolutely not. Students are ALLOWED to have cell phones at school for a reason. Three years ago at my high school, students with guns took over the entire school. (I was at a junior high at the time) The office was the first place to get barraged by the students with guns and they wouldn't let the people in the office call or do anything at all, and they guarded the entrances to the school so people couldn't leave. There were no shots fired, but a student hiding a classroom called the cops, and SWAT teams showed up very quickly afterwards, and go the situation under control. Cell phones HAVE to be allowed at schools, and jammers would defy every purpose in having them. Especially since 9/11, reasons for using cell phones have increased. Teachers and administrators also need to use cell phones all the time. It's just one of those situations where the bad things would outweigh the good things.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:47 AM
link   
so not one of the wired phones in each classroom made a call?

how many students go went to the school at the time

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a cell phone jammer is is a horrible idea. what if there was a fire and someone was trapped in the building? or if a kid came to school with a gun? who would call for help? i make phone calls for my work all the time in between classes, and it saves me huge amounts of time rather than doing it at home. This is a big issue for anyone who attends high school, or even college, but it can be solved in a much simpler, cheaper way than jamming.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   
like I said, a wired phone... also i like the point of the person who posted above about do what you'd do when there werent cell phones

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   
oh that i were a teacher.

day one "you will not use your cell phones in my class. you will switch them to vibrate and if your family calls and it is important you will step out to take the call. other than that if i see you using it to talk or txt i will take it. to get it back, you will have your parents call the office and schedule a meeting at my convienience and i willl return it to them at that time. this is your one and only warning on this issue. moving on..."

then if a particular student starts getting frequent "important calls" i would ask the parents about it during teacher conferences and if they arent the ones calling the student i would ask the parents to make sure the student didnt bring the phone to school anymore.

problem solved.

im not so ignorant as to refuse to accept that times have changed but i know we all got by just fine in HS and college without cell phones. i could live my life just fine without mine.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by racerzeke
thats the problem, people DONT NOT NEED THEM

Ok, I didn't think much of using jammers in the classroom, but it's obvious that people are too distracting since it has hurt your grammar skills.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I like Damocles idea best. My generation was not lucky enough to have cell phones when we were in school, and we got by just fine, but then again we never had problems like Columbine or other events like that either. It certainly would be good in emergencies in case of a fire for locating a trapped person. I don't see why schools would want to jam the devices. Put rules into effect and enforce them.

The movies and churches, well Movies are what an hour, hour and a 1/2 long...I think waiting till you go outside to retrieve voicemail or see a list of missed calls is sufficient. I would say in Churches and Movie theaters electronic jamming should be allowed and there should be a failsafe where it gets shutdown when the houselights go back on,or a fire alarm is pulled and in the case of the church the priest or minister can shut down the grid in the event of an emergency.

In the movie theater, I do not for one second think its fair if you pay 11.50 to see a movie that if you miss one part because of a distraction by a cell user, if the cell user is so worried he can miss the movie part himself and walk out near the entrance where he can recieve a signal. Paying customers shouldn't be inconvenienced for the sake of a few.

[edit on 13-1-2007 by ThePieMaN]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   
The very idea of allowing john q public to have access to cellphone jammers is a terrible idea, for one it opens up the chance for nefarious types to use them in the comission of crimes, and secondly it gives someone the power to deny someone else a service they pay for, which is essentially the same thing as a Denial of Service attack like script kiddies like to use to disrupt websites.

I agree however that students in school need to learn how to be responsible with their cell phones. I don't get why a teacher would bother to stop the class for someone who is too busy fiddling around with their cell phone, at my college the professors generally dont care if you have the phone with you but if it goes off and is on a audible ringer your expected to get up and leave the room to take the call. If teachers in public schools started just pushing on without the retards maybe they would get the idea to hang the hell up and pay attention, and if they don't oh well thats one less final paper/project for the teacher to worry about.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Mobile phones, sorry cell phones should be banned in school and that law enforced. Students can't be outside of calss to get a call, that's just silly. If someone needs to reach the student then they can just call the office! There is absolutely no need for a student to use a phone until the end of the day. I never had one and i can't think of any situation when i needed one in school, this is absolutely stupid.

If a student brings one to school and is caught they should have it taken away from them until the end of the day and then have it returned. They then get a detention, if they are caught again using one in school hours (yes even lunch time) then they should have after school detention. You see where i am going right?

Cinemas should have faraday cages or jammers. I don't care which but they need to be implemented, along with any similar venue, opera house, theatre etc. Of course it needs to be named in law clearly which places can have them, if we use ambiguous names like "public entertainment areas" it could then be abused.

By the way although it is illegal to construct and operate such a device in many places, small devices can be made by the determined hobbyist wanting some silence. Of course i don't recommend it, but i thought i would mention it out of interest.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I've never posted on this site, but continue to read day in and out, the opinions of others, in order to gain insight into what it is exactly I believe... however, just one point on the cell phones.. I am a graduate student at a public university where cell phone use runs rampant. It has done nothing but allowed students to cheat on tests, text message during lectures, and play games. In every single lecture class I have attended since the beginning of college, there are at least 5 people on their phones (many times more) These kids' parents are paying for this so called 'education' they are recieving and probably the cell phones they are on! At my school, it adds up to appx 180 dollars per class. what a waste.
~concerned. about. youth.

(I originally posted as anonymous... wasn't sure where to log in)

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
what if there's an emergency and you need to get a hold of a family member or vice versa.

I wonder what they did before cell phones???
I still don't have a cell phone and I've been an adult for many years and we manage... Today's dependence on cell phones is ridiculous!

The answer here is not to jam the phones, but to carry out the rules. If the teachers are supposed to take them away, they need to take them away!!! After one or 2 times, the kids would get the message.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracymaster

Originally posted by racerzeke
whether its a actuall jammer or some sort of special paint, cell phones are out of hand at school (or atleast mine so i assume its every where) everyone is always texting during class, which causes teachers to warn them or give a "empty" threat which wastes my class time....

the school is supposed to take them but none of the teachers do they just warn...

schools in india use jammers why not usa?

because we have freedom of choice to use our cell phone when and where we need it. its a matter of respect, two ways.

there should not be punishments on the group over a single persons misuse of conduct. maybe schools should be focused more on expressing freedom of choice and not taking it away.

When you are in High School you do not need to be using your cellphone. If it is an emergency they normally notify the school. The problem with texting is that many people use it to cheat on tests if nothing else it distracts you from the reason that you are there, TO LEARN. Your are right about it being their freedom of choice they can choose to use it and then deal with it being confiscated.

[edit on 13-1-2007 by JamesMcMahn]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Cell phones are a vital tool, there's no need to dispense with them or prevent them from working just because some people are using them improperly.

Jamming cell phones in schools, cars, movie houses, or anywhere else is a bad idea, and while it's sure to save some folks a minor annoyance, it could cause major problems for others - you know, the people who are responsible and polite enough to know when to use them and when not to use them.

I like the idea of blocking cell signals in schools & cinemas. My view is that your going out to the show then enjoy the show. I'm sure that all important call can wait while you enjoy the moment. That said I can see where say a babysitter wants to contact a parent as being a good reason. For schools though no exception ban them. Schools have functioned for many decades without the instant convenience of getting a hold of someone. There is staff and landlines at the school that can be used to contact a student. They are nothing but a disruption to students otherwise.

What really ticks me off is the idiots at my gym who have to make that life changing cell phone cell while they are using the equipment. A life and death situation aside (and really why would you be elsewhere anyways) what the hell could possibly be that important. I just laugh at the dolt using one arm for the equipment the other for the cell, total pinhead.

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Why punish the innocent? If someone is being a pest in the theater, the operators have the right to throw them out, and they should do just that.

Easier said than done. Why should you lose your hard earned money tracking down some idiot and miss your movie. Your paying for it why not enjoy it completely. I agree the innocent should not suffer but the stupid usually travel in hordes.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Yes, your daughters are using cellphones appropriately NOW but lets see how approriately they use them when they turn 14.

Originally posted by Jemison
My oldest daughter just turned 9 and what do you think she got for her birthday? Yep. A cell phone. My 7 year old and 5 year old twins have a phone that they share between the 3 of them. All four of my daughters know how to use a cell phone appropriately.

It all boils down to manners and not the cell phones. Hopefully parents these days are still teaching proper landline phone ettiquitte so it shouldn't be that difficult for them to teach courtesy and common sense when it comes to cell phones!

Having a cell phone on campus is not a problem. It's the ding-a-lings who text during class thinking it makes them look more popular or important that need to be dealt with!

Jemison

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleone
This is a crazy idea, i agree cell phones can get annoying at times, but what if there's an emergency and you need to get a hold of a family member or vice versa.

didn't have any problems before cell phones were around.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I never said Cell phone jammers should be legal to the public, because there will be people who use them just to annoy people....

but they should be legal in schools and theaters

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join