It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barbara Boxer Says Condi Rice Can't Know Price Of Sacrifice

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I dunno... I bet she's a freak.

I'm tired of all those damn clueless parrots.

You read my mind.

Ah... I'm so glad this new era of bipartisan cooperation is working out so well. Nothing like a fist full of mud to say, "Lets be friends."

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Yes, now "we" want bipartisanship. Same as we've always wanted it. You know, the same stuff that has been missing for the past 7 years because of a pouting bunch of losers whose only answers to any proposal was to block it any way they could, regardless of what was good for the American people.

Nonsense. You wanted a battered wife for an opposing party - subservient and compliant, and willing to roll over any time the leadership felt the need to to pacify the religious right with some oddball bill passage.

Indeed, what on earth have the lot of you accomplished while the democrats were whining? Oh, that's right. You managed to give away our public lands and offer corporate welfare to fortune 500 companies. You managed to deplete the treasury, and get us entangled in an unwinnnable guerilla war in the desert. You passed the the Bankruptcy Protection Act and tort reform, hurting Americans, and helping big business.

But, with the entire congress and white house controlled by the GOP, let's talk about the real issue. You absolutely failed at accomplishing anything of worth. Instead of handling the real issues, you got side tracked with flag burning, gay marriage, stem cells, and Terri Schiavo.

The government is reading our mail, searching our bank records, and listening to our phone calls - and you guys were worried about the Presidential $1 coin. GOP rule has brough nothing but arrogance, and decadance, and hubris, which has made our country WROUGHT with corruption and incompetence.

Your leaders are so corrupt, and so far out of the mainstream that they're more akin to the leaders of a banana republic. Well, O Henry would be rolling over in his earthen tomb if he knew that these spineless, effete, jibbering eunuchs had wrapped themselves in our flag, and so thoroughly destroyed our country in the guise of politics.

And, when this is all over, and the dust is settled, there's another word the unbelievable LOT of you will have to worry yourselves with.

Collaborators

Come to think of it, there is some of that outrage. I don't think Rice is lesbian, but if she is, so what? The sad part is that the implication is coming from a party who cries racism, homophobia, or religious fundamentalism at the drop of a hat.

How hypocritical.:shk:

Not that I honestly care about Condi Rice, save how incompetant she is, and how she utterly lacks the ability to tell truth to power...but, the GOP is the party that has won several hundred elections - all across this country - on the back of a single issue. The Republican Party and talk radio has exploited Christian morals to dehumanize millions of homosexuals - nearly to the point where they're considered "subhuman" in some Republican's eyes.

Oh, your outrage is cute. I'll try to feign interest long enough to tell you to get over it. These same talking points were brought up when they caught a gay male hooker in the white house. Or when they the President of the evengelical church was found hiring male prostitutes? Or how about Mark Foley cruising for underage pages in the congress?

There is a lot of hypocrisy here, and it's coming from your side of the aisle.

Boxer made a mean-spirited, malicious dig at a woman who has dedicated years of her life to serving this country, with foreknowledge of the implications. Why do you defend her?

Because, it's a defensible position to take. The Right Wing Noise machine got cranked up, with much bluster I should add, because Condi has not making a sacrifice of blood and bone and heritage in a war she is cheerleading. Come to think of it, conservative pundits and bloggers aren't making a sacrifice either.

As someone else stated, what if a white father made the same allegations against a single, black, childless woman? Then the "outrage meter" would have bent the needle from the sanctimony.

I'm sure there was a lot of outrage on your side of the aisle when President Reagan made up a story during a state of the union adress, about "Welfare mothers driving welfare cadillacs".

Frankly, I'm just glad the Republican Party is taking three whole days out of their schedule of legislating the sexuality of single women, in order to protect Condi Rice's right to have a healthy sex life.

Now, this whole thread will de-eveolve into a back and forth salvo war between red and blue, but a single truth remains: During the last seven years, the Republican Party has hurt the American people more than they've helped them.

And, the American people responded by stripping the GOP of power.

[edit on 14-1-2007 by brimstone735]

apc

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I am not a Republican. But I am quite confident in my conclusion that the American people, as a whole, did not intend to give the Democrats total control of congress. I know many a Democrat who has voiced regret for their vote. Especially since they see that almost every point raised to get them elected was a flat out lie. We are seeing that right now with this Rice issue. They haven't worked to bring the parties together. They've been building a wall. Words will never change true to the core arrogance.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by brimstone735

Yes, now "we" want bipartisanship. Same as we've always wanted it. You know, the same stuff that has been missing for the past 7 years because of a pouting bunch of losers whose only answers to any proposal was to block it any way they could, regardless of what was good for the American people.

Nonsense. You wanted a battered wife for an opposing party - subservient and compliant, and willing to roll over any time the leadership felt the need to to pacify the religious right with some oddball bill passage.

What a bunch of sanctimonious crap.

Indeed, what on earth have the lot of you accomplished while the democrats were whining? Oh, that's right. You managed to give away our public lands and offer corporate welfare to fortune 500 companies. You managed to deplete the treasury, and get us entangled in an unwinnnable guerilla war in the desert. You passed the the Bankruptcy Protection Act and tort reform, hurting Americans, and helping big business.

Don't start with this holier than thou spiel, because you know that I can easily match you tit-for-tat.

But, with the entire congress and white house controlled by the GOP, let's talk about the real issue. You absolutely failed at accomplishing anything of worth. Instead of handling the real issues, you got side tracked with flag burning, gay marriage, stem cells, and Terri Schiavo.

And when Bush tried to talk about important domestic issues, such as social security reform, what was the Dem's response? They shot down his proposals, and refused to sit down and discuss the problem.

How did the Dems address it? Hillary stood up and led a standing ovation during the State of the Union Address when it was announced that no progress had been made.

The government is reading our mail, searching our bank records, and listening to our phone calls - and you guys were worried about the Presidential $1 coin. GOP rule has brough nothing but arrogance, and decadance, and hubris, which has made our country WROUGHT with corruption and incompetence.

Oh yes, the "culture of corruption" bromide. Don't even go there, Mr. Jefferson-Murtha-Reid-Pelosi, because we got your number.

By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK
Published: January 12, 2007
WASHINGTON, Jan. 11 — After campaigning for months on a promise to tighten ethics rules, Senate Democratic leaders tried unsuccessfully Thursday to block a measure that would shine a light on the shadowy practice of earmarking federal money for lawmakers’ pet projects.

www.nytimes.com...

Still want to talk about corruption and hypocrisy? I didn't think so.

And, when this is all over, and the dust is settled, there's another word the unbelievable LOT of you will have to worry yourselves with.

Collaborators

Can't stop with the name-calling, can you?

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
col·lab·o·rate /kəˈlæbəˌreɪt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kuh-lab-uh-reyt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used without object), -rat·ed, -rat·ing.
1. to work, one with another; cooperate, as on a literary work: They collaborated on a novel.

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source col·lab·o·rate (kə-lāb'ə-rāt') Pronunciation Key
intr.v. col·lab·o·rat·ed, col·lab·o·rat·ing, col·lab·o·rates

To work together, especially in a joint intellectual effort.
dictionary.reference.com...

Not that I honestly care about Condi Rice, save how incompetant she is, and how she utterly lacks the ability to tell truth to power...but, the GOP is the party that has won several hundred elections - all across this country - on the back of a single issue. The Republican Party and talk radio has exploited Christian morals to dehumanize millions of homosexuals - nearly to the point where they're considered "subhuman" in some Republican's eyes.

And some Christians are considered subhuman in the eyes of some Democrats. Tit-for-tat.

Oh, your outrage is cute. I'll try to feign interest long enough to tell you to get over it. These same talking points were brought up when they caught a gay male hooker in the white house. Or when they the President of the evengelical church was found hiring male prostitutes? Or how about Mark Foley cruising for underage pages in the congress?

Gerry Studds and Barney Frank.

There is a lot of hypocrisy here, and it's coming from your side of the aisle.

Can you say that with a straight face?

Boxer made a mean-spirited, malicious dig at a woman who has dedicated years of her life to serving this country, with foreknowledge of the implications. Why do you defend her?

Because, it's a defensible position to take. The Right Wing Noise machine got cranked up, with much bluster I should add, because Condi has not making a sacrifice of blood and bone and heritage in a war she is cheerleading. Come to think of it, conservative pundits and bloggers aren't making a sacrifice either.

For your info, many of Boxer's own party are shying away from her because of her mean-spirited statement.

I'm sure there was a lot of outrage on your side of the aisle when President Reagan made up a story during a state of the union adress, about "Welfare mothers driving welfare cadillacs".

Don't know; wasn't paying attention back then.

[edit on 14-1-2007 by brimstone735]

And they are quickly coming to realize that they were snookered by false promises. And you are drinking the Kool-aid as fast as they pour it.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 01:06 PM
link   
It would appear that some people are more worried about Condi's feelings than they are about the actual deaths of other women's children!! How's that for a slap in the face?? (Boxer even pointed out that she herself did not know the pain of that sacrifice, being that her children were too old.)

When someone gets soooo overly bent about some infidestimal slight, blows it as far out of proportion as they can......It comes across as a desperate grabbing at any straw that will draw attention to someone else's, anyone else's error, or anything they can construe as an error. It looks foolish, which ever side does it.....it needs to stop. It trivializes the important issues!

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1
It would appear that some people are more worried about Condi's feelings than they are about the actual deaths of other women's children!! How's that for a slap in the face?? (Boxer even pointed out that she herself did not know the pain of that sacrifice, being that her children were too old.)

No, Ms. Rice is a big girl, and quite capable of taking care of herself. The point, which you missed, is Ms. Boxer's unwarranted remarks.

When someone gets soooo overly bent about some infidestimal slight, blows it as far out of proportion as they can......It comes across as a desperate grabbing at any straw that will draw attention to someone else's, anyone else's error, or anything they can construe as an error. It looks foolish, which ever side does it.....it needs to stop. It trivializes the important issues!

When someone tries to minimize the unprofessionalism of our leaders as "some infidestimal slight" (sp), it shows that they've been led down the garden path and are willing to accept any trash talk, as long as it is directed at the other party.

Tell me: if a white father had said this to a single, childless black woman, do you think there would be any uproar over it?

[edit on 14-1-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 01:36 PM
link   
No, Dear, I DIDN'T miss it......I watched the whole thing....Why do you feel the need to insult ME, just because I don't think it was so 'unwarrented'?

As to the unprofessionalism of 'our leaders'.....HA there has been a LOT of that going around, this hardly qualifies. And there you feel the need to insult me with "led down the garden path" and "willing to accept any trash talk, as long as it is directed at the other party." Perhaps YOU missed the point I made......about how it looks foolish if EITHER SIDE pretends to be mortally wounded over a RELATIVELY small slight.

As to your last question.....Huh? What's that got to do with anything? Do you feel the need to change the subject?

Mod Note: Trim Those Quotes - Please Review this link

[edit on 17-1-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Boxer's statement was a cheap shot of the lowest kind and was not only absurd, but irrelevant. Her assertion is that Rice is not qualified to be Secretary of State because she does not have children.

Only a liberal could make such a statement and not be laughed out of Congress. I can only laugh at liberals who would call Rice a spinster. How quickly liberals discard their sensitivity when it suits their sordid agenda.

Boxers' quote, like so many used on both sides of political debates, was taken out of context.

The thrust of Boxers' argument was that neither Rice nor herself had children or relatives that were being deployed or in danger of being deployed and to remember the military and their families. Basically, the decisions we make are not going to affect us but let's remember the people they are going to affect.

She never indicated that because Rice has no family that she is not fit for her job. Nor was it an attack on her lifestyle or lack of family ... but of course putting some spin on it is the best course of action politically.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1
No, Dear, I DIDN'T miss it......I watched the whole thing....Why do you feel the need to insult ME, just because I don't think it was so 'unwarrented'?

Talk about getting bent over an infinitesmal slight.

Perhaps YOU missed the point I made......about how it looks foolish if EITHER SIDE pretends to be mortally wounded over a RELATIVELY small slight.

But you didn't make that point. You insulted people here by implying that they were more concerned with Condi's feelings than they were about the death of other women's children. How arrogant of you!

Then you defended Boxer by empathisizing with her statement.

As to your last question.....Huh? What's that got to do with anything? Do you feel the need to change the subject?

It is in context. It is supposed to illustrate that statements made by anyone, esp. public figures such as Boxer, who should know better, cannot be expected to be evaluated in a vacuum. It goes far beyond Condi Rice, and includes every person in this nation. And it was a reckless and irresponsible statement.

Before you pooh-pooh that, just ask yourself the question I asked you. If a man had said it, cries of racism, sexism, and anti-feminism would be heard.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I'd like to remind members to keep the personal remarks to a minimum and debate the topic and not each other.

Mod Edit: Please Review the Following Link: Courtesy Is Mandatory

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmallMindsBigIdeas
The thrust of Boxers' argument was that neither Rice nor herself had children or relatives that were being deployed or in danger of being deployed and to remember the military and their families. Basically, the decisions we make are not going to affect us but let's remember the people they are going to affect.

Even if that is what Boxer meant, it was still a stupid and irresponsible statement, besides being untrue and irrelevant to the discussion.

Boxer put her foot squarely in her mouth and I hope her base of support, who are largely non-breeders, don't forget it.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   

California Democratic Senator Barbara Boxer, in a slap at Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, alleged that since Rice is unmarried and has no children, she will not "pay a price" for troop casualties in Iraq.

This was wrong on so many levels. To imply that only people with relatives currently serving can understand sacrifice is outrageous. And to emphasize the fact that Rice is childless is to minimize the feminist movement.

so many levels?

If Condoleez Rice had a child who had to or volunteered to serve, she would think more deeply about deploying troops to our current war zone. That is a fact, jack.

If you disagree with that assumption, you are completely unhinged from reality, just like Duhbya.

Perhaps Ms. Boxer thinks that only Cindy Sheehan truly understands the word sacrifice.

Cindy Sheehan has lost her child, her beloved child. To this insane, senseless war. No one who is without child can know that woman's pain. For you to even allege that they could shows your unhingement. And yes, I did just make that word up.

This current group of Democrats apparently do not care about bipartisan efforts to solve problems. They continue with their pre-November mudslinging tactics, unaware that the American public is sick and tired of it.

Note to the last American remnant of Bush supporters:

The November election was pure repudiation of Bush's misguided effort in IRaq.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
A Mrs Boxer...the same Boxer that claimed that "Communism is death and everyone knows it"...

She is rambling some more huh?....

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by EastCoastKid
If Condoleez Rice had a child who had to or volunteered to serve, she would think more deeply about deploying troops to our current war zone. That is a fact, jack.

The last time I checked, Rice was the Secretary of State, not the Commander-in-Chief.

Oh, and poor Cindy Sheehan, the only person in America to lose a child in the war on terrorism. How my heart aches for this lunatic Marxist.

Her son died for something real, while she goes about doing her level best to get arrested for her views. Too bad she lives in America where people aren't prosecuted for free speech and she has to actually commit misdemeanors to get arrested.

Can't the left get a new tune? I'm getting sick of this one.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Cindy Sheehan has lost her child, her beloved child. To this insane, senseless war. No one who is without child can know that woman's pain. For you to even allege that they could shows your unhingement. And yes, I did just make that word up.

Cindy Sheehan has disgraced the memory of her son, over and over again. He believed what he was fighting for and he was an adult....Like all the Americans and people from other countries who have joined the Armed Forces of their respective countries.

How exactly is the belief of Cyndy Sheehan any better than her son's?

You want people to be free? her son chose freely to serve in the military and to go to Iraq... She should have honored his decision.

Or is freedom only one sided now?...

[edit on 17-1-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   

The last time I checked, Rice was the Secretary of State, not the Commander-in-Chief.

So you support commie-like appartchiks who are devoid of introspection?

Oh, and poor Cindy Sheehan, the only person in America to lose a child in the war on terrorism. How my heart aches for this lunatic Marxist.

To not feel empathy for a woman who has lost her child is pretty cold. I feel sorry for you.

Her son died for something real, while she goes about doing her level best to get arrested for her views. Too bad she lives in America where people aren't prosecuted for free speech and she has to actually commit misdemeanors to get arrested.

No, basically her son got punk'd by an administration who sees our troops as only numbers.

The last time I checked, pushing views in this country (covered by the 1st ammendment to our constitution - you do remember that, right?) was not illegal.

Can't the left get a new tune? I'm getting sick of this one.

Its a good thing fascists are a freakish fringe minority.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   

What?

To not feel empathy for a woman who has lost her child is pretty cold. I feel sorry for you.

I feel empathy for her loss, but Sheehan has joined the enemy and I have no sympathy for the enemy.

No, basically her son got punk'd by an administration who sees our troops as only numbers.

That would be your assessment and that of other enemies of the US.

Its a good thing fascists are a freakish fringe minority.

You must be addressing someone other than me.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Cindy Sheehan has disgraced the memory of her son, over and over again. He believed what he was fighting for and he was an adult....Like all the Americans and people from other countries who have joined the Armed Forces of their respective countries.

Did you know him personally?

I didn't think so.

You don't know Casey Sheehan. You don't know why he joined. You have no idea what he would have thot about his mothers' current advocacy. He'd probly punch your front teeth out for talking sh** about his mother - if he wasn't DEAD.

How exactly is the belief of Cyndy Sheehan any better than her son's?

Her belief is equal to that of her son's and your beliefs and mine.

You want people to be free? her son chose freely to serve in the military and to go to Iraq... She should have honored his decision.

This statement qualifies as pure comic relief. Yes, I like for people to be free. lol

Cindy Sheehan did honor her son's service. She supported him fully. For you to make some kind of aspersion in that respect is gravely ignorant. Not to mention completely offensive.

Or is freedom only one sided now?...

I fought in the Gulf War. What have you done for freedom?

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 10:22 PM
link   

What?

Grady: I feel empathy for her loss, but Sheehan has joined the enemy and I have no sympathy for the enemy.

Enemy? Wth are you talking about? The enemy is sitting at 1600 Pennsylvania ave. wake up, grady.

Any true conservative with a brain can see this administration for what it is. :shk:

quote: ECK: No, basically her son got punk'd by an administration who sees our troops as only numbers.

GP: That would be your assessment and that of other enemies of the US.

I am not an enemy of the US. I am a US citizen, born and bred here and I even (gasp) fought for my country.

For you to suggest I am on par with some kind of percieved enemy of the US drawn up in your truly unhinged and paranoid mind is sick. I truly feel sorry for you Grady, I suggest you get some help. You are a member of that famed 20 something percent of Americans who still carry water for this perverse, criminal administration.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I fought in the Gulf War. What have you done for freedom?

Actually, ECK, I've done a lot for freedom and just because you served in a combat zone doesn't mean that you did anything for freedom.

You said Casey Sheehan was punk'd.

So, what makes you a freedom fighter, while Sheehan's just a hapless sap?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join