It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barbara Boxer Says Condi Rice Can't Know Price Of Sacrifice

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
California Democratic Senator Barbara Boxer, in a slap at Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, alleged that since Rice is unmarried and has no children, she will not "pay a price" for troop casualties in Iraq.

www.foxnews.com
WASHINGTON — The White House fired back Friday at Democratic Sen. Barbara Boxer's verbal slap at Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, calling the California Democrat's caustic comments about Rice's family life "outrageous."

Boxer lit into Rice on Thursday with bitter diatribe during a heated line of questioning before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee looking into Iraq policies. At one point, Boxer turned to the broad question of who pays the ultimate price for war. Rice has never married and has no children.

"Who pays the price? I'm not going to pay a personal price. My kids are too old and my grandchild is too young," Boxer said. "You're not going to pay a particular price, as I understand it, with an immediate family. So who pays the price? The American military and their families."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This was wrong on so many levels. To imply that only people with relatives currently serving can understand sacrifice is outrageous. And to emphasize the fact that Rice is childless is to minimize the feminist movement.

Perhaps Ms. Boxer thinks that only Cindy Sheehan truly understands the word sacrifice.

This current group of Democrats apparently do not care about bipartisan efforts to solve problems. They continue with their pre-November mudslinging tactics, unaware that the American public is sick and tired of it.

Related News Links:
www.signonsandiego.com

[edit on 12-1-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Barbara Boxer is an moron. The main reason I stopped paying dues to the National Association of Social Workers is because they give money to Boxer's campaigns.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I agree with Boxer Ms Rice is a spinter she doesn't know what a mother feels when she have a son in harms way.

She was been truthful and realistic been a mother herself.

Yes is many women that don't need to become biological mothers to understand what it feels to mother a chid, because is women that adopt children and raise chidren as their own, they dedicate their lives to this children and they love them just like it was one from their own womb.

But in Ms. Rice case she had a life dedicated to politics and corporate business.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Good for Ms. Boxer. Shes just stating a fact. Maybe if Dr. Rice had children she would know the angst a parent would feel at the thought of their child being shipped off into this waste of a war. Its one thing if there is something to fight for and another when there is nothing to fight for.

Ms. Rice should be concentrating her efforts on this country and not the freedoms of some far away land.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
No only the freedoms of a far away land but also the corporate greed behind this unnecessary war.

If my country was under attack and evil invaders where coming from the sky, borders and sea.

My children, my ex marine husband and me will gladly volunteer our lives and our soul to defend our nation with not questions ask.

I imagine that millions of Americans will also go into the streets and fight with anything we have at hand for our nation.

That is no doubt in my mind that will happen.

But do not tell me that my son or daughter is fighting in a far away land for my freedom because is a lie.

How dare Ms. Rice and Mr Bush tell America that sacrifices are needed and to take it like a patriot asking for more of our children souls and their lives.

We are not stupid, American mothers are no stupid, America has spoken.

How dare them.

Good for Boxer

[edit on 12-1-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Boxer's statement was a cheap shot of the lowest kind and was not only absurd, but irrelevant. Her assertion is that Rice is not qualified to be Secretary of State because she does not have children.

Only a liberal could make such a statement and not be laughed out of Congress. I can only laugh at liberals who would call Rice a spinster. How quickly liberals discard their sensitivity when it suits their sordid agenda.

I wonder what Boxer would say if the Secretary of State were a diesel dyke?

I guess Rice should abandon her self-respect and get knocked up by some gangsta rapper so Boxer will accept her relevant qualifications for her office.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Where was the family centric Ms. Boxer when the childless Janet Reno was hauling Ilian Gonzalez out of a closet and onto the first plane to Cuba?

Before anyone mentions Ilian's father, let's not forget that Ilian's mother thought it was important to get to the U.S.A... So important in fact, that she died in the attempt to get her son to a better place.

I think her selfless act, wasted by an administration that was consumed in it's own "superior judgment and intellect," and speaks far louder than the partisan rhetoric of Babs Boxer, or the mindless drivel of Cindy Sheehan.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I don't think Boxer was saying she wasn't qualified as secretary of state. I think what she was saying was that she wasn't in a position to really know or understand the cost of this war.
she's not experiencing the burden of having a loved one absent for such a long period...
she's not being asked to pitch in and help with the financial cost....that's just being passed along to some future generation.

when the condition is that the only ones who are being asked to sacrifice anything for the war effort are those serving in the armed forces and their families, I'm sorry, it seems that the ones that are asking for americans to sacrifice more aren't gonna be sacrificing much.

At least the previous generations had enough integrity to pass the sacrifice around a little....instead of just passing the cost on down to some future generation. If you want to continue this danged war, broaden it out to include Iran and Syria, fine.....at least start funding it now and increase the taxes instead of just watching the deficit bloat more and more from it's cost.

are you willing to sacrifice you precious tax cuts that bush loves so much to help fund the war?

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Yep I gotta say that blind hatred of an administration is no reason to stand on the side of Ms. Boxer on this one, if you look past the hatred of the bush administration (granted they given us plenty of reasons too) to say that someone cant know what sacrifice is just because they are childless is stooping low in the quagmire of stupidity.

Just because a person is childless doesn't mean that they dont have loved ones and cant feel the pain of losing a brother or sister or mother or father sure children are special but you cant really gauge the love of a relative by their relationship to you.........to Ms. Boxer

Sometimes we get so caught up in hating the bush administration that we will accept any fool thing the opposition says just to keep the battlelines drawn.

[edit on 12-1-2007 by the_sentinal]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Ilian had a father that had no clue he was taken from him. Beside how can we forget the media zoo and the money to be made by the so call Ilian exile family.

Ms Rice is the last surviving body in the Bush dying administration perhaps she should have some dignity and resign before her image will forever get broken, I imagine that Exxon or other oil corporation will gladly have her back in their corporate headquarters.

In addition, grady Ms. Rice is an unmarried woman, it have been her choice to dedicate her live to politics and corporate business that is something that nobody will argue about.

The qualifications that you mention has nothing to do with the fact that she have or not have children, women can do a good job either way.

Nevertheless, the fact is that she is defending Bushes ideology of having more lifes at the disposal of a war that already has prove to be a lie, and talking about the soldiers lives as if they are disposable.

Bush greatest insult to this nation was to tell that it was going to be more sacrifices for this war, but he does not tell if her own children will be part of that sacrifice.

So how can anybody talk about the lifes of others when they do not have to face a lost.

Rice if she has any dignity left she should resign and bail out just as the rest of Bush administration has done.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I am defending Boxer because I side with her and what she mean, if that makes me an unintelligent liberal, insensitive, a bush hater, a stupid person and whatever anybody here wants to tag anybody that agree with boxer.

So beat it, I have been called worst before and I am still standing proud.

Go boxer

[edit on 12-1-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Boxers are usually penalized for low blows.
This was way below the belt.
Put her in the corner, and take away her Botox.

I don't really know what else to say other than expect more name calling an infantile behavior from a Freshly emboldened Democratic party.

Let them continue to prove that the Caricatures, are not really caricatures, but descriptions of real people who think THEY are the enlightened Left.

We'll survive, and will know better on the next election day that REALLY counts.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Boxers are also a breed of dog and the name of a night club in my neck of the woods, so what is the point? the thread is about what she said to ms rice and that is the issue, Ms rice can not even imagine what giving a child to be scarified mean.

That is the point and actually she doesn't.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Well I'm not a mother or father, but I've been downrange as have my fellow brothers in arms, so I know what it means to sacrifice.

[edit on 12-1-2007 by GT100FV]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I dig out something very amusing about Boxer and Rice.

It seems that they have been at each other before.

So I guess is some bad blood between them

Back when Rice was going through the hearings to become Secretary of state, Boxer supposedly attacked Rice integrity because the way she supported Bush war in Iraq.

And boxer thought that she was the one attacked by Rice.

So now Boxer is using that littler incident to show Rice that she was wrong with a littler down the belt blow.

Nothing more than a cat fight after all.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I just love the apologists on this board condoning Sen. Boxer's behavior. I'm sure they would say the same if a Republican father had said the same thing to a single, childless, African American, Democratic Female right? We would be hearing for said Senator to apologize if not resign I bet. Nice double standards you have. Hypocrisy at it's worst if you ask me. Why do Democrats in general feel the need to take attacks to a personal level?

Anyway you slice it, it was a cheap shot and a low blow. Somebody here tell me that it was a classy move by a US Senator.

[edit on 12-1-2007 by pavil I can't get the hang editing]

[edit on 12-1-2007 by pavil]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:54 PM
link   
What an ignorant comment on the part of Barbara Boxer. Surely, someone who doesn't have a child in the military will never know the pain of sending their child off to war and especially the horror of losing that child in combat. I think it was a complete cheap shot and unfortunately a preview of things to come with all of the commissions, panels, investigations and committees that are likely to be ordered by the majority party in this congress.

Just because someone doesn't have a child, or a child in the military, doesn't disqualify them from being able to make reasonable decisions pertaining to war. Lord knows we've seen many US Presidents who didn't have children in the military, or even a military background themselves, conduct wars and make military decisions with the utmost competance.

Now, is Boxer proposing that we enact a constitutional amendment requiring that all those who run for a government position that could require them to make military decisions or consult on those decisions, have children themselves who are in the military? Maybe we should only allow folks to be appointed to the federal judiciary who have had children murdered? Or maybe even children who are or were in prison!

It was such a stupid comment, but certainly not a new one. We've heard this argument countless times before especially when a President makes the difficult decision to go to war, or when those in congress vote to approve the use of force. For Boxer to insinuate that Secretary Rice would have a different opinion of, or make different decisions regarding, the war in Iraq if she had a child in the military is not only foolish but completely IGNORANT! She basically questioned the morality and intelligence of Condi Rice. It's comments like these that are completely divicive and do nothing to serve the people who elected her, or to resolve the issue(s) at hand.

God help us all if politicians base their decision to defend our country on the military status of their children rather than our nation's security and well-being.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The left generally has carte blanche, as the media is on their side. If you're on the right, you'll get crucified.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The left generally has carte blanche, as the media is on their side. If you're on the right, you'll get crucified.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Hi There,

Senator Barbara Boxer made the observation regarding whom makes the ultimate sacrifice, and whom is left reeling from its effects. In her statement she included herself as being one whom does not pay such a sacrifice, nor is she one whom feels the effects. Having stated her position, she then put it to Rice that she, too, will not pay the price, nor feel its effects on a personal level, because Rice herself has never married, has no family of her own, no son or daughter whom is in the armed forces and serving in Iraq with the potential to lose their life whilst doing so.

Boxer's point rests on the concept that decisions that Rice makes cannot be arbitrated by any kind of experience in which she has lost a beloved family member to a conflict that is seen wholly at odds with the conscience of the American people. On this issue, Boxer's point is both correct and right, and it can be said to include a number of other individuals within the current administration whom bandy the the word 'sacrifice' whilst they themselves cannot incorporate the experience of sacrificing 'anything' of their own, right up to and including Bush, or Blair.

As far as mine own opinion goes, I should say that those whom start conflicts should be there right on the front line, standing and running side-by-side with those whom they would seek to fight such conflicts. Let them experience war and conflict first-hand, let them experience the effects, then let us see if they are still 'gung-ho' to rush into such wars and conflicts, and that by the decisions they make if such experience does not temper them?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join