It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Value of Aikido

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

I'm six and a half feet tall, and I weigh three hundred and fifty pounds or so - so you can see why Aikido would appeal to me more than just about everything else out there.

Wow, look at the leg extension you've probably got though. Not to mention Ogre points. I'm built like Dorf, sad to say. If I throw a thundering head kick it's going to hit most normal people in the nads. The saving grace is that I'm sort of bowlegged so I start off in horse stance. It dictated a contact art, the rangy sweep/kick stuff won't work for me. OTOH my CG is so low I'm hard to throw if you don't plan properly, which sort of painted "big meathead practice Uke" on my head for years.

Sad to say though, there's not any schools in the area where I live now, and truth be told, I lost my keen interest in it when I ETS'd and went to college, so it was fit some in where you can for years then move to places in the middle of nowhere with no instructors, so 'rusty' doesn't begin to cover it. Have been thinking I'd get into Ju-jutsu of some stripe just to stay in shape.

posted on Jan, 24 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
ALOT OF THESE POSTS MISS THE IMPORTANT POINT ABOUT ANY MARTIAL ART: IF YOU PRATICE IT IT MAKES YOU MORE HEALTHY AND MORE CONFIDENT THAT THOSE WHO DON'T AND HEALTH CONFIDENT PEOPLE ARE MORE LIKELY TO SURVIVE ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, SO WHICH IS BEST IS NOT AN IMPORTANT ISSUE, WHAT'S BEST IS TO LEARN ALL YOU CAN, AND USE ALL YOUR KNOWLEDGE IN AS MANY DIFFRENT SITUATIONS AS YOU CAN, KEEP YOUR BRAIN AS LIMBER AS YOUR BODY.

posted on Jan, 25 2007 @ 12:20 AM
link   
YOU are missing the points we have made: Akaido is not meant for all out combat in the real world. I believe in training for the real world, using whatever is at hand to permanently disembowl my enemy so they will never challange me again if they live to try again. As some others stated: Akaido is based around "changing your opponents heart" which I think is foolish. If they cannot kill you the first time, they will go get a gun and some friends, then kill you. I hate "discipline" in combat, it makes you predicatable, I like being unstable as very, VERY old dynamite, one tap and it could take your hand off, then again, maybe not, so why risk it? Martial arts is NOT the ONLY way to achieve peace of mind and soul, for some meditation, others can cook and have peace of mind. It changes from person to person, for me, knowing ways of breaking arms, legs, bones, necks, and all around how to throttle someone to the point they go unconcouse or need an EMT in the next 10 minutes. This gives me peace of mind, what gives me peace of soul is something else I cannot get, or use at this moment. Personal health for me comes from diet, exercise, expanding my mind through reading, watching and listening. Akaido will never give me these, I watched their training videos as I said, the demos that is, and I DID NOT LIKE WHAT I SAW, the predictability factor is off the chars, it deals with throws for the most part, and it is EASY to counter them with a little training, also it helps to just SHOOT SOMEONE if they get in the way, or use a combat knife (not the stabbing movements) to either hit them with it (throwing) or use their own throwing methods against them in order to get close. Also it helps to ALLOW them to grab your hand, then swivel the knife (do only if you have lots of practice AND speed) and slice their wrists open and let them bleed to death.
THAT is the kind of training I like, short and to the point, not "converting" your opponent.

<< 1   >>

join