It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music That Makes You "Stop & Think"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Music is all around us. Whether it serves as inspiration, a way to vent frustration or rebel, or to serve as a crutch when we are in need, its importance can be priceless. The purpose of this thread is to discuss specific songs, or maybe a specific genre of music that really makes you, "Stop & Think". A song that has you walking on water, or when your in the middle of a huge fight with a loved one, the lyrics alone of a song can heal any wound either of you may suffered from the words that were shared.

The song that has inspired this thread is,

"The Fray - How To Save A Life"

Step one you say we need to talk
He walks you say sit down it's just a talk
He smiles politely back at you
You stare politely right on through
Some sort of window to your right
As he goes left and you stay right
Between the lines of fear and blame
And you begin to wonder why you came

Where did I go wrong, I lost a friend
Somewhere along in the bitterness
And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life

Let him know that you know best
Cause after all you do know best
Try to slip past his defense
Without granting innocence
Lay down a list of what is wrong
The things you've told him all along
And pray to God he hears you
And pray to God he hears you

As he begins to raise his voice
You lower yours and grant him one last choice
Drive until you lose the road
Or break with the ones you've followed
He will do one of two things
He will admit to everything
Or he'll say he's just not the same
And you'll begin to wonder why you came

---------

The lyrics, sound, music video, anything that pertains to this song has me speechless. I've watched the video at least five times today, and have just loaded the song to my iPod.

"And I would have stayed up with you all night
Had I known how to save a life"

In a word, Regret. There is nothing worse than regret, especially when it comes to serious issues that we wish we could repair. The song itself reminds me of the night my step-father passed away. That night we went to bad very upset at one another, well me upset with him, and I refused to talk to him before I turned in for the night. Hours later he was gone, and I was left with a life filled with regret.

This song means so much to me right now, I can not even begin to comprehend it with words. And I know many of you have songs that serve this same purpose to you. We all have them, they all mean different things for us.

I look forward to hearing stories from fellow members and the songs that make them "Stop & Think".

Thank You.

[edit on 12-1-2007 by chissler]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   
For me that would be Opeth, megadeth and Death. >_> all end on th maybe a conspiracy? :I

Anyway i listen to them because they make intelligent music. For death at least from Human onwards. Complex songs with good lyrics. However i mostly listen to music for the instruments and thus kinda ignore the lyrics. Good lyrics are just a bonus.

Youtube vids of above bands

megadeth: www.youtube.com... this is from theire classic album rust in peace

Opeth: www.youtube.com... from theire blackwater park album

Death: www.youtube.com... From theire individual thought patterns album

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Ah, yes indeed, music can truly be cathartic and the lyrics can have such power to move one-to think and/or feel.

There are many songs that have meaning for me

I will add too, that I personally don't like music videos unless it's just a live band performance because of the fact that music lyrics are like poetry in the way that they are open to interpretation.

The lyrics' value is not always of the authors intent, or the videographers vision, but instead the greatest value of a song -beyond a good tune/rhythm etc-is how one can internalize a meaning from the lyrics that is unique to them and their circumstances.

(Can you imagine a poem put to video-God forbid. No one needs that much interpretation forced upon them.)

One example for me right now would be Stone Sour's "Through Glass" Love the song-accidentally saw the video and it nearly ruined it for me, for my interpretation.

[edit on 16-1-2007 by 2l82sk8]

new topics

join