It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1984/Suggested Reading

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Im currently reading this book for Political Science and I love it. Would any one have any Suggestions on works like this? or anything on Political doctrines?

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 03:30 AM
link   
A *VERY* similar book, at least thematically (plot is quite different) is Brave New World, by Aldous Huxley. Animal Farm, also by George Orwell, is good, and it should be apparent that one is an allegory for communism, once you read it.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I'm reading the The Penultimate Truth by Philip K. Dick and I'd give that a good read, its got a evil political masters over tone to it:

Wikipedia: The Penultimate Truth
The government and war engine remains on the surface, the elite "Yance men". Their president, Talbot Yancy, delivers inspirational speeches to the tankers, motivating them to increase their production of leadies and win the war. The war does eventually end. However, the Yance men design a conspiracy to maintain the wealth of the Earth for themselves. Yancy continues to describe devastation in televised speeches. The tankers continue to produce leadies.

The political "class" remains above ground and the people stay underground thinking above ground is a nuclear waste land with deadly virus's everywhere.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
If you want a real disturbing book on the lone of 1984 try “WE” I don’t know the author’s name but I believe some eastern European country was where they were located. We makes 1984 look like a picnic every aspect of the subjects lives were regulated down to when to take a walk and they latterly live in glass houses

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Both Brave New World and Animal Farms are excellent suggestions if you like 1984.

Brave New World is often slept on!

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I'm not sure if it fits in this category, but another good one is "A Canticle for Leibowitz' by Walter Miller Jr.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
I'm not sure if it fits in this category, but another good one is "A Canticle for Leibowitz' by Walter Miller Jr.

I think it fits, even though the theme is post-apcolyptic in nature, it discusses a lot of the same subject matter. Another one of Philip K Dick's books is apropos, as well; "The Man in The High Castle" is an alternative history where the nazis win and mind/thought control is a major theme.

posted on Jul, 15 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
If you like 1984, I loved it, I would suggest The Disspossed by Ursala K. Le Guinn; it's basically like 1984, a distopian society. Animal Farm is also excellent, and I haven't read Brave New World by Huxley but I would love too. I'd also suggest Woman on the Edge of Time by Marge Piercy, another distopian society, but its a good book as well.

posted on Jul, 16 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Oh, yeah, I read The Dispossessed, that was a good one. Anything by Le Guin is good, but most of it doesn't fit the topic of this thread. I'll have to check out that Piercy author; I've never heard of her.

posted on Jul, 17 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I still think the Disspossessed would work just because of the political nature of the book and how the governments in each work.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   
For an insight into hierarchical organisations try The Peter Principle by Dr. Laurence J. Peter.
It's not really the same as 1984 or Animal Farm, but may give an understanding of the dynamics of a hierarchy - and this is vital to an understanding of politics.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
some great suggestions... I'll just reconfirm "We," "Brave New World," "Animal Farm" and I'll also add Fahrenheit 411 to the list.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Here's a few good ones. A Canticle for Liebowitz is a real classic by the way, dystopian or not. I love the post apocalyptic stuff.

Dystopian novels:

Fahrenheit 451, Ray Bradbury
A Handmaid's Tale Margaret Atwood
Stand on Zanzibar, The Jagged Orbit, and The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner
A Clockwork Orange Anthony Burgess

I have not read the Brunner novels but own all three. They come highly recommended, and from what I know of them, they would appeal to many on this site. The other three are very, very good reads. Of course the first is a classic.

Enjoy.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I need to read Brave New World by Huxley and I believe it's Farenheit 451. A Clockwork Orange is one that intrigues me as does much literature, sadly with all the stuff I have to do for school, it's hard to find the time to read.

posted on Nov, 18 2007 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I'm going to go out on a limb here since there is already a pretty good list going. Brave New World, A Clockwork Orange, and Animal Farm (as well as 1984 of course) are great. I don't think I've read the others listed here but now I probably should. I've always meant to pick up Fahrenheit 451.

I'll recommend two other books to the list and even if they don't exactly match 1984, I feel they are great reads on a social and political level.

The first is Watership Down by Richard Adams. To give you a disclaimer it is a book where the main characters are talking rabbits, but that shouldn't stop you from reading it, especially if you pick up Animal Farm and like it. It deals with many human themes regarding war, fascism, religion, and death and I feel it is a great read into human society.

The other would be Lord of the Flies which you may have already read, but I think it fits in with the political theme and structure of government gone wrong.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Also check out The Wanting Seed by Anthony Burgess

With the Wanting Seed, Anthony Burgess turns the typical dystopian novel on its ear. Instead of a methodical, technorganic world, Mr. Burgess presents a smelly, macrobiotic mess of overpopulation and disharmony. Instead of a more stringent emphasis on rightwing ideals, the aforementioned overpopulation has caused an enthusiastic governmental endorsement of homosexuality and opposition to typical family ideals. Instead of a grim, foreboding atmosphere, Mr. Burgess employs a lighthearted, quirky tone, allowing readers to smirk at the ridiculousness and incongruity to which the world of the Wanting Seed has been driven.

new topics

top topics

join