It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Clock Moving Forward

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Global Catastrophe being marked by the "Bulletin of Atomic Scientists" is possibly set to move forward amidst global Nuclear threats and Climate threats.

news.yahoo.com
The keepers of the "Doomsday Clock" plan to move its hands forward next Wednesday to reflect what they call worsening nuclear and climate threats to the world.

The symbolic clock, maintained by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, currently is set at seven minutes to midnight, with midnight marking global catastrophe.

The group did not say in which direction the hands would move. But in a news release previewing an event next Wednesday, they said the change was based on "worsening nuclear, climate threats" to the world.

"The major new step reflects growing concerns about a 'Second Nuclear Age' marked by grave threats, including: nuclear ambitions in Iran and North Korea, unsecured nuclear materials in Russia and elsewhere, the continuing 'launch-ready' status of 2,000 of the 25,000 nuclear weapons held by the U.S. and Russia, escalating terrorism, and new pressure from climate change for expanded civilian nuclear power that could increase proliferation risks," the release reads.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Quoting from the story, they haven't said which way the hands of the Doomsday Clock would move, however, speaking of "worsening nuclear and climate threats", I'm sure the clock will move forward.

I'm not so sure that these scientists have any means of telling the future, but I'm biting my nails with anticipation to see what they've got to say, and even more so, to see what events lie ahead for the world.

I'm certain, which ever way the hands move, it's not going to have much impact on the current world events. I just hope this isn't the "insiders'" way of letting us know "It's time to bend over and kiss your butt goodbye!"

Read more from the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists here:
www.thebulletin.org...

[edit on 1/12/2007 by Infoholic]

[edit on 13-1-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 05:06 PM
link   
These atomic scientists would be nuts if they didn't move the clock forward, as a matter of fact, I believe they are about six months late in making the decision. I wrote about the need to move the clock forward in my blog last year...maybe it just takes alot time to get the atomic scientists to agree on how much of move they will make.

The Doomsday Clock Needs to Move

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Good find.

And I agree with WW - they're late moving it forward.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Considering Kim Jong-il is viewed as more unstable than Pakistan's Musharraf or India's Kalam. I would of thought it would of been moved forward when the DPRK completed their nuke test.

My guess is it will be to 5 minutes before midnight.

News event speakers will include:
- Stephen Hawking, professor of mathematics at the University of Cambridge, and a fellow of The Royal Society;
- Kennette Benedict, executive director, Bulletin of Atomic Scientists;
- Sir Martin Rees, president of The Royal Society, and professor of cosmology and astrophysics and master of Trinity College at the University of Cambridge;
- Lawrence M. Krauss, professor of physics and astronomy at Case Western Reserve University; and
- Ambassador Thomas Pickering, a BAS director and co-chair of the International Crisis Group.
source: unobserver

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

"I hope the Russians love their children too" -Sting
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 12-1-2007 by Regenmacher]

apc

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   
My guess is 2 to 3 minutes before midnight. Considering Russia and China are both behind the scenes involved with the Iran/NK issues, the threat of global annihilation is quite serious.

It's about time they moved it. I've been checking in on it every now and then since 2005 waiting for it to move.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The thing i find ironic about this clock.
Is we will never see it at midnight.
because by the time it gets there, the bombs would already be falling.

and as if scientists are going to be sitting in there office, shifting the hand just so they can say

'' hey look, the clock works ''

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I think it'll move forward to 5 minutes to midnight, and stay there.

Go on, Ill bet someone 50 yen!

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Considering Kim Jong-il is viewed as more unstable than Pakistan's Musharraf or India's Kalam.

Maybe thats the problem, Who are these experts who determine who is a threat??? The same ones that decided Saddam had to go? Kim Jong is not a threat, his country is starving and he is scared, give him a little food and water and let him rule his little nation how he wants. LETS NOT BEAT THE HORNETS NEST AGAIN! Remove the sanctions and watch the threat disapate. Too bad our leaders think muscle is the only answer. I guess leading by example and demonstrating compassion is not the final goal we seek to achieve.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Considering Kim Jong-il is viewed as more unstable than Pakistan's Musharraf or India's Kalam.

...Kim Jong is not a threat, his country is starving and he is scared, give him a little food and water and let him rule his little nation how he wants. LETS NOT BEAT THE HORNETS NEST AGAIN! Remove the sanctions and watch the threat disapate. Too bad our leaders think muscle is the only answer. I guess leading by example and demonstrating compassion is not the final goal we seek to achieve.

By most accounts, Kim Jong is a nutbar. And so is Bush, by the same accounts.

IMO - you're right.

LETS NOT BEAT THE HORNETS NEST AGAIN!

Let's get back to leading by example and demonstrating compassion.

Would it be so hard?

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
IMHO The hornets have already been disturbed and ain't too pleased. Without wanting to sound like a 'The End is Nigh' merchant unless the governments of our world wake up and smell the coffee then it may already be too late although what can be done. Who knows the answer(s)? As they say 'the clock is ticking' let's just hope the alarm don't go off

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I would say it only makes sense to move the minute hand forward and I would venture a guess that it will be 4 minutes till midnight. If you have followed the history of the clock you would know they always take their time with making a change. They will say it is because they take a long time debating where it should be set. I like the idea of what the clock represents, but if things got out of control and the worst would happen, there will be no one around to set the clock to midnight.

[edit on 1/13/2007 by Hal9000]

apc

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Well unless I'm mistaken this is the first time they've taken this long to update it. Usually it's been every three or four years. I'm not too terribly surprised though... there's been a lot of question marks surrounding the current instabilities that really make it difficult to guage the danger level.

On one hand Iran could develop a nuclear weapon and use it against Israel, or give it to someone who would have no problem strapping it to their back and setting it off in a major city anywhere in the world. Either could easily escalate into a full-scale nuclear conflict.

On the other hand, they could give in to international pressure and dismantle their development program without incident. The same goes for that rabid dog.... eater... Kimmy.

Either way the fact that NK is a proxy for China and Iran is a proxy for NK and Russia will strongly weigh in on the location of the minute hand.

[edit on 13-1-2007 by apc]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Our arrogance blinds us from our fragility. We have ALWAYS been teetering on the edge...

One thing evolution has NOT provided us is a sense of scale...

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by kleverone
Kim Jong is not a threat, his country is starving and he is scared, give him a little food and water and let him rule his little nation how he wants.(

Starving and scared people do not act rational, they go into survival "dog eat dog" mode. Famine and resource wars are already here, while the US has become a bankrupted debtor nation...so take a hard look at Africa on how things will start to unfold for all of us, since Africa is the continent most likely to suffer the first and worst effects of climate change in a world gone bloody mad.

Africa: Bloodshed on Continent Needs World Attention, Pope Says

The more nations that develop atomic weapons, the more that people becoming starved, scared and unstable, the more we wash our hands and say not me....the closer the doomsday clock will tick to midnight.

Here's an avatar for anyone that wants one:

[edit on 14-1-2007 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 12:56 AM
link   
god help us, we're all going to die. the time has come in february sometime, the clock strikes 12 midnight. the domminos fall.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 12:59 AM
link   
February, huh?

Got anything to back that up? I'm sure it will be soon... probably before the 08' elections.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   
What a useless practice. Is it for show or to scare people into thinking about the end.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Of course it's a scare tactic.

They include this in the NWO plot, I'm sure. They want you to think the end is near, so that you don't fight it... so that you just give up and don't fight for your sovereignty.

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The Doomsday Clock has been updated.

It's now 5min. til midnight.

The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists’ Doomsday Clock conveys how close humanity is to catastrophic destruction--the figurative midnight--and monitors the means humankind could use to obliterate itself. First and foremost, these include nuclear weapons, but they also encompass climate-changing technologies and new developments in the life sciences and nanotechnology that could inflict irrevocable harm.
source

Board Statement:

17 January 2007

We stand at the brink of a second nuclear age. Not since the first atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki has the world faced such perilous choices. North Korea’s recent test of a nuclear weapon, Iran’s nuclear ambitions, a renewed U.S. emphasis on the military utility of nuclear weapons, the failure to adequately secure nuclear materials, and the continued presence of some 26,000 nuclear weapons in the United States and Russia are symptomatic of a larger failure to solve the problems posed by the most destructive technology on Earth.

As in past deliberations, we have examined other human-made threats to civilization. We have concluded that the dangers posed by climate change are nearly as dire as those posed by nuclear weapons. The effects may be less dramatic in the short term than the destruction that could be wrought by nuclear explosions, but over the next three to four decades climate change could cause drastic harm to the habitats upon which human societies depend for survival.

This deteriorating state of global affairs leads the Board of Directors of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists--in consultation with a Board of Sponsors that includes 18 Nobel laureates--to move the minute hand of the “Doomsday Clock” from seven to five minutes to midnight.
source

Make a very interesting read.

How long till the move it closer yet?

posted on Jan, 17 2007 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I just posted my comments on the other doomsday clock thread -

I'll restate them here so ya'll can have fun flaming me.

'Global Warming' was a good deal of the reason for moving the clock ahead. LAME. 'Global Warming' hasn't even been firmly established as real and even if it is established as real it will take a while longer to establish if it is a natural cyclical event.

Yes, i know, you all can dig up plenty of people who THINK that it is real and not natural ... but the fact is that it is not an established 'real' thing. Not by a long shot.

I see this as just a left wing political statement. The spirit of the doomsday clock has always been for other things and i would like to have had it stay that way.

Lame! Baaaah humbug! (okay, ya'll can flame me now ...
)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join