It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberal MP Jean Lapierre To Quit Politics - Will Justin Trudeau Take The Seat?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Liberal MP Jean Lapierre, who is the Member for Outremont in Montreal, will be leaving politics at the end of January to return to radio broadcasting. The reason he has given is that if he wants to have a career after politics, he has to start now.

Outremont has had the boundaries redrawn several times, but is a traditional Liberal riding and is considered a safe seat for the Liberals.

Two months ago, Justin Trudeau joined the Liberal Riding Association in Outremont. That's no big surprise, most of Canada has been wondering when he would go into politics. The Trudeau family is our version of the Kennedy's. What is surprising is that Dion does not seem supportive of the idea of having Trudeau running in that riding. Trudeau is not the 'star candidate' Dion wants in that riding.

What?

Justin Trudeau is not a star candidate? Since when? The second coming of the Trudeau family is something the Liberal Party should be wetting its pants over.

I just don't understand. :shk:

Links:
Quebec Liberal MP Jean Lapierre to resign
Outremont (federal electoral district)

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I too fail to see why Dion would oppose this movement. The one thing our nation has failed to grasp on a regular basis is a "charismatic" leader. Pierre Trudeau is one man that truly fit the mold, and I believe we are in desperate need for another. As Kennedy could captivate the American population in the early 60's, Trudeau did the same for Canadians during his run in the late 60's, 70's, and early 80's.

A name can go a very long way when it comes to Politics. Having the name "Trudeau" instilled back into the Liberal party, is certainly a positive. If Dion stepped up and said his inexperience is a question when it comes to him stepping in for the riding, I could fully understand. But saying he is not a "star candidate", I fail to see the reasoning.

With a possible election on the horizon, whomever takes the riding is going to have limited time to really leave an impression. Why not insert a name that is easily recognizable?

For Trudeau himself, I see this as the perfect opportunity.

Interesting to see how this pans out.

[edit on 14-1-2007 by chissler]

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
What I don't like is this whole business of parachuting 'star candidates' into ridings, which all the parties do. It seems a little undemocratic to me. I think that they should have to run for the nomination like any other regular person would have to - Trudeau included.

I wonder if they will hold a byelection to fill the seat or if they will leave it empty until the next election?

new topics

join