It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters Arrested

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Taken from this news clip yesterday (1/11/07).

For Future Reference!!! Check for local ordinances regarding protesting.

Ninety protesters demonstrating against the US "war on terror" prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, were arrested here after illegally entering a federal court building, a demonstration organizer said.

The original article stated that the protesters had a permit to protest at Washington, D.C. The permit was for the protesters to be "outside". Many protesters came into the courthouse, which usually is forbidden, and the Judge granted them the ability to protest inside, in a separate room, under certain guidelines. The protesters allegedly broke rules that had been set down by the Judge, thus resulting in the arrests.

Now, if the protesters would have stayed outside, there wouldn't have been any arrests (at least under the pretext that no one was protesting un-peaceably).

So for those that do not know, again, check local ordinances if you wish to participate in a protest as described in this article. Local ordinaces are in fact protected under the 10th Amendment. The federal government cannot stop you from protesting, but the local/city officials can set forth guidelines of how you go about doing it.

Get your permit (which cannot be denied) and abide by it. The permit is to ensure the public resources (police *for those that get out of hand* and ambulance *for those that get hurt*) can be readily available if needed. The permit is not a means of preventing the protest, it's meant to facilitate the protest.

(ADDITIONAL SOURCES)
news.aol.com...
www.dailyadvance.com...
seattlepi.nwsource.com...
search source

[edit on 1/12/2007 by Infoholic]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
They deserved to be arrested. If they were confined to a certain area, they should have stuck it out and abided by the rules.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I agree.

When I first saw the article, I was furious.. until I read the whole thing again later on, and had a chance to discuss the activities with a co-worker. I went off half cocked and didn't consider the 10th Amendment into the protest.
After realizing that the protesters took it upon themselves to go beyond the bounds of a peaceable protest... sure, lock em up. Butt monkey's should have stayed outside.

You don't have to be a radical to get your point across.

new topics

join