It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being Open Minded Increases I.Q.?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:
JSR

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
...there is no doubt that when you open your mind to multiple scenarios to every situation your IQ rating will be higher.

is that true, or is just your understanding of certin situation increased?

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Well I took my first IQ test about 2 months ago and scored a 145 on a scale of 160+ is genius. The second time I took it, last week. I scored a 152. Had my IQ gone up? No. I simply made less human error and was more ready for the type of questions I would be faced with. I believe 16 and up IQ tests are suppose to be accurate, and Im 17 so it should be accurate.

But reading and practice will boost your IQ scores. There is probably a max IQ that a person can achive, but not everyone or even most reach their full potential.

I would say I am not yet at my full potential as the questions I did get wrong were from history questions. I have not fimilarized myself enough with world history, so some knowledge questions I simply didn't know the answer to. Practicing math so that it comes quicker and more easily is one way to boost scores. I am a firm believer that those with quicker memory have a direct relation with those with high IQ's.

The faster you can remember a certain thing and hold that information, not just remember it in 5 minutes, then the higher your IQ seems to be. I have a high IQ, and I can remember alot.

I had this hearing and speech therapist see me because the school said I was "Disorganized and probably had ADD". She realized its not that I am disorganized, just that I organize in a completely different fashion then what the school and teachers like. One thing I remember is a test she gave me. She told me 5 things about herself. Where she went to college, what car she drove, what her favorite tv show was, where she grew up and who her favorite singer was

She would not repeat herself, and said I would find out why she told me next week. Next week I came in and she asked, "What were the 5 things I told you about myself last week." My response was this.
"You went to Penn State in your blue honda accord, to see bon jovi. You left marlboro right after you watched 24."
I had remembered that sentence which had answered all 5 things she told me about herself.
She went to penn state. She had a blue honda accord with a dent in the back. Her favorite singer was bon jovi. She grew up in marlboro. Her favorite tv show was 24. I remembered it by compacting details into 1 or 2 sentences.

Everyone has their own thing.

[edit on 12-1-2007 by grimreaper797]

JSR

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
after surfing the net, i have come across many "raise your IQ" web sites.

so, i will say im not so sure about my original statement.
however, i find this sites questionable.

my apologies.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Lol I meant to make a tiny edit in one sentence, nearly tripled the size of my original post. O well.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
Lol I meant to make a tiny edit in one sentence, nearly tripled the size of my original post. O well.

Yeah, well maybe if you had a higher IQ....
[JUST KIDDING!!]

I hate IQ tests. Not taking them, but the way in which they can and are used. They can be self fulfilling prophecies for some people, and not in a good way.

There was an experiment done a few years ago (will look for a link) in which teachers were given the IQ scores of students in a classroom. The scores were all bogus. As it turned out, the students' academic performance was in complete correlation with the scores. Not because of their "IQ" but because of the teachers' expectations for them.

I don't put a lot of value in IQ tests (and I've scored significantly high scores on them repeatedly). If it were up to me, neither the kids nor the parents and teachers, would know the IQ score. Either that or just tell all children they're above average. Lake Woebegone, anyone?

[Edit to add]
Found some info. It was called the Oak School Experiment. Performed by Robert Rosenthal and became known as "The Pygmalion Effect".

[edit on 1/12/2007 by yeahright]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Wisdom is above all knowledge.

Seek wisdom and knowledge will com with ease.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   
An IQ Test is simply this...

It measures your ability to learn in a 10 month school year. So for instance if your IQ is 100 then you are learning nothing more and nothing less then you should in 10 months of school.

If your IQ is 145 then you would be learning 14.5 months worth of schooling in a 10 month school year. All it means is if they were to teach 14.5 months worth of work in 10 months then you would be able to grasp that amount of work.

100 is the average, meaning you would learn everything they needed to teach in that school year. If your IQ is 80 then you would technically only learn 8 months worth of work in that 10 month time period, which is why anything below 100 is considered to have "learning disabilities".

Having a high IQ doesn't meann you are any smarter than anyone else on a day to day level, it simply means that IF you were given a specific time frame to finish a specific amount of work you would be alble to do so within a 10 month period.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I learned Pre calculus in a month. Thats a 10 month course as well. Then again I sat there for some 3 hours a day at least reading it, where as class is 45 minutes a day.

Anyway My point is, practice makes perfect lol.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by cw034
An IQ Test is simply this...

In a word...no. That's absolutely incorrect. What IQ actually measures has been debated heatedly over the past several decades. But I can assure you there's no direct mathematical tie in based upon what you can learn over a particular number of months/semesters and your IQ score.

If anything, what IQ measures is the ability (or lack thereof) to score on IQ tests.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by JSR

it does not measure how smart you are.

tell me this. a person with an IQ 75 (mentally retarded). can he/she become un-retarded?

sorry for the poor choice of terms. i was at a lose.

if your retard digs IQ tess for some uncanny reason could it be that one day he might just score 82 and still be dumb yet above the magic threshold of 80? could it be that someone with 150 could train to 165 or, heaven forbid, someone with 175 scores 190 and is suddenly considered a genius?

sorry, if you can memorize it and there's a certain logic behind it you can train for better results.

PS: if they does not test how smart you are, what on earth is it good for except discrimination?

JSR

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance
PS: if they does not test how smart you are, what on earth is it good for except discrimination?

IQ test are not given to students, unless a teacher questions there ability.

then if you are found to be low, you are placed in the right classes.
if your found to high, same thing.

those in the middle, most of the time, dont even know there is a higher than average class.

but they all know there is a lower than average class, because, they all point fingers and laugh.

you tell me who is discriminatory.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Questions : What was the I.Q. of the person(s) who created the I.Q. test? Who is to measure the intelligence of another? The I.Q. test is set up to measure the ability of the human "time" robot, for lack of better terms. What if it is decided to test the I.Q. of the I.Q. test? How smart does that make the tester of the I.Q. test? How can unlimited intelligence Be measured through a device that is created to test for a limited intelligence? The I.Q. test is close minded. An unlimited I.Q. would Not worry about its I.Q. as a result of it Being immeasurable. We are all unlimited until We submit to the illusion of limits. A true open mind, that which is Eternal, has No I.Q. Being the cause that it knows that numbers never end Nor begin; it knows that Everything and Nothing never end Nor begin, thus Existence is Outfinitely connected.

The very test divides Us. It states that it is an "Intelligence Quotient".

Quotient: The result of a division problem.

Where is the intelligence in that?

Why would We have ourselves divided? Why is Everything on this planet based around dividing for personal status?

Intelligence is all ways changing, as is Wisdom, knowledge, consciousness, and Existence.

This is a prime example of another way that Human Beings refer to each other simply as numbers.

What about creativity? Is there a creativity test?

[edit on 12-1-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

JSR

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal

the IQ is a matter of science and economics.
not emotion and philosophy.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by JSR

the IQ is a matter of science and economics.
not emotion and philosophy.

So there was No philosophy behind the making of the I.Q.? Well there is the problem.

So what is the philosophy of science? What about the economics of philosophy? There are many philosophy teachers in the economic world. Is science above all else? It will Not work that way.

Science was born Out of philosophy and philosophy born of science. Philosophy governs economics and still does today, thus economics help philosophy to change, in turn, changing economics. Philosophy is a science, science is a philosophy. Emotions are reactional to circumstance. We Exist in an ever changing circumstance, We are an emotional world. Dividing people into different levels of Intelligence can create emotions, but it does Not benefit philosophy or science.

Does the I.Q. test, test imagination, where all knowledge is derived?

The I.Q. is a fixed test. Intelligence of that which is imagination is mutable. Economics is based on imagination. Everything that is made in this world begins with an idea.

I.Q. is merely a qualification of personal status amongst a hierarchy of narcissism.

I.Q. is an attempt to standardize thought as an institution

JSR

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 03:02 PM
link   

So there was No philosophy behind the making of the I.Q.? Well there is the problem.

uhhh. ok.
you lost me.

you could say there is philosophy behind everything.
yes, everything begins with a thought.

the use of the IQ test is to determine how best to help someone learn.
it is for economical reasons. the practice of econmoics, not the theroy of.

i hope this addresses your post.

JSR

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
when did this turn into my thread?

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Yeh JSR stop hijacking my threads!
jokes

Thanks all for your opinions, if there was anyway this type of thinking could be encouraged at school then i think it would benefit a lot of people. Unfortunately it isn't the kind of thing that could be taught.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Granted IQ tests have been debated as to their meaning...but overall they are testing the abilities of the average child (those that learn in a 10 month period) vs the abilities of those with lower intelligence and higher intelligence. So the average is based on a 10 month school year. It goes right to the entire bell curve. Most people tested with be somewhere in the average of the bell curve while a percentage will be higher and lower. But again its average. In college I could do all my english, history, etc work in a week, but with math it would take me the entire semester and then some. But when you average it out my IQ was higher. I'm not stating that my reply earlier is the end all, just a simple way of explaining how the majority of educators look at the overall scores of IQ testing, and a simple way to explain to someone who clearly has no understanding of the scores

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I dont think that IQ is like some unscalable wall that cannot be breached, there is an obvious trend in the increase of IQ world wide (see the Flynn Effect).. a good article to read .. www.michna.com... & www.apa.org...

So far I have found no concrete proof that says IQ cannot be increased.. I think that for the general population IQ does not really increase, but with hard work and effort anything becomes possible.

[edit on 12-1-2007 by drconfused]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I always find it amusing when ppl are somehow diagnosed with a learning disability. You either have something wrong upstairs or you dont. I think one thing ppl need to understand is that here in america we have a hard time deciphering the differences between have a 'learning disablitiy' and having lack of 'discipline'.

The fact is you can learn things that werent known 20 to 30 years ago and that would be expanding upon your knowledg base. People are alot smarter today then they were 50 years ago. Theres a reason behind it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join