It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being Open Minded Increases I.Q.?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I don't know what category to put this in but hopefully this is the most appropriate.

Im 21 years old and when i first did I.Q tests on the internet i was 18. My I.Q averaged 102 (shockingly as i consider myself fairly intelligent!) Since that time i have become interested in the origins of the universe and any belief in a God that i had then has gone.

Reading about UFO Stories and theories and looking at other issues on ATS has opened my mind up and helped me put my life into perspective. I can now look deeper into situations or events and have very good control over myself, decisions and actions.

I have been working in these past few years but nothing that i would class as intellectually challenging, not enough to raise my I.Q in my opinion. I have recently done 3 separate I.Q tests online and i now feel that when answering the questions i can look at them in a much more logical way hence my new average score of 121.

I do strongly believe that being open minded is the key to better intelligence and that strongly backs up my theory that religion and skepticism is holding the race back technologically.

Im sure there are a lot of people on here with very open minds and would be interested to hear if anyone else feels the same?

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I firmly beleive that anything you do in life such as reading, traveling, learning how to play a musical instrument, and the arts leads you to a
higher IQ.
Even the Internet. Television.

JSR

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:59 AM
link   
my wife is a special ed teacher. she works with, what they comsider life skills classes.

what she explained to me, and believe me i argued, is that your IQ never changes.
you can waiver from 1 to 3 points.

the only way your IQ changes, is if you suffer a brain trama, then it can go down.

i guess in strange cases, my thoughts not my wifes, it would go up.
but that isnt really normal.

just my thoughts....

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
sure it would raise your i.q.
If somethings closed, its hard to put anything new in it.

The world is bigger than narrow minded views.

Peace

dAlen

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I disagree. I do think that by learning new things everyday

you expand your brain. But that is figuratively. The original "Rain Man" held a wealth of information in his head, and only had one hemisphere, and where we have a full brain, he had water surrounding that one little hemisphere in his brain.

JSR

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by dAlen
sure it would raise your i.q.
If somethings closed, its hard to put anything new in it.

i can see why you would say that, based on my post.

what i ment was, IQ is more of a potntial type test.
i never said one could not learn.

but, lets face it, how many people could really get into the mathamatics of quantum field gravity?

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by JSR
my wife is a special ed teacher. she works with, what they comsider life skills classes.

what she explained to me, and believe me i argued, is that your IQ never changes.
you can waiver from 1 to 3 points.

the only way your IQ changes, is if you suffer a brain trama, then it can go down.

i guess in strange cases, my thoughts not my wifes, it would go up.
but that isnt really normal.

just my thoughts....

IQ do change, there are a number of ways it may go down, and you may be able to improve it as well.

for those that say it does not change, drink some mercury or put your head against a microwave transmitter dish for an hour a day for 5 years.

don't know why someone could say it does not change.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Well, my IQ has certainly improved. When I was in High School, I was diagnosed as "learning disabled" in mathematics. Now, I am 29 years old, and I took an IQ test last year by a professional psychologist..When I told her that I was diagnosed as "learning disabled," my psychologist told me, "There is no way that you are learning disabled in anything."

[edit on 12-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

JSR

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

don't know why someone could say it does not change.

re-read my post please.

then explain how it can go up.

provide links.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by JSR
re-read my post please.

then explain how it can go up.

provide links.

Well mine either went up, or the school misdiagnosed me...Although,I will say that given the politics in the schools for the last thirty years that is not out of the question either..

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:54 AM
link   
whoever believes a test can be fully accurate at all times... just failed the test.

in sports, practice and physical training improve your abilities, thinking is supposed to be any different? besides filling in a form is a quiz, not a test, tell me what happens when a person has done hundreds of IQ 'tests' in his life, do you really believe it wont change the outcome? please.

JSR

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance
do you really believe it wont change the outcome? please.

yes. i do.

IQ test measure your capcity to learn.
the IQ number is a stadard deviation from the middle.

it does not measure how smart you are.

tell me this. a person with an IQ 75 (mentally retarded). can he/she become un-retarded?

sorry for the poor choice of terms. i was at a lose.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
yep, you can buy iq tesbooks that will sharpen your skills for those type of tests. although not the same they do get you into thinkin in a certain way.

so like i said above even though i have no proof you can increase your score, from practice and other things you may be able to adapt and do better.

what about brain states, some kids are naturally in the wrong brain state at school for learning, and are taught by using computers with brain wave entrainment how to put the brain into the right state, for learning. i cannot remember but they call it some condition, at least these kids can now be helped.

from what i remember when i took my iq test, it was based on language and maths, from the look of it. back then i would say i was very bad at language (i.e english), so i must of performed badly on those questions, but the maths types questions i found easy. so i believe through practice on my language skills, i would probably have performed better on the language part, and got a higher score.

so i do think you can improve your iq test results, do not know how much, but i guess those type of kids i talked about above, would definately improve, after there entrainment lessons.

JSR

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
what i remember when i took my iq test, it was based on language and maths, from the look of it. back then i would say i was very bad at language (i.e english), so i must of performed badly on those questions, but the maths types questions i found easy. so i believe through practice on my language skills, i would probably have performed better on the language part, and got a higher score.

your talking about a SAT test.
an IQ test has question much different than that.

questoins that dont have right or wrong answer.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
JSR, you are not addressing what happened to me. What happened to me was from experience, not something that some "expert" wrote in a book.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by JSR

your talking about a SAT test.
an IQ test has question much different than that.

questoins that dont have right or wrong answer.

Au contraire. The questions on an IQ test very much have right and wrong answers. The question is "Can your IQ change?" Which IMHO, is very different than "Can your score on an IQ test change?" Maybe another nit picking point? But I don't think so...

JSR

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
JSR, you are not addressing what happened to me. What happened to me was from experience, not something that some "expert" wrote in a book.

i wasnt aware you asked me a question.
i will re-read the post.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Cosidering creative thinking is a big part in solving problems which is still a good part of IQ tests there is no doubt that when you open your mind to multiple scenarios to every situation your IQ rating will be higher.

Also, when your able to consider many views on 1 subject, your also more likely to learn the actual truth, then when your only considering whatever your told as being the truth.

Imho the current school system, in most of the west, is wrong in the way that they push people to memorize instead of learn.

JSR

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
Well, my IQ has certainly improved. When I was in High School, I was diagnosed as "learning disabled" in mathematics. Now, I am 29 years old, and I took an IQ test last year by a professional psychologist..When I told her that I was diagnosed as "learning disabled," my psychologist told me, "There is no way that you are learning disabled in anything."

i have no idea how to answer this.
i would say your psychologist was right then.

may i ask, what disability you were diagnosed with?

JSR

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright

Au contraire. The questions on an IQ test very much have right and wrong answers.

yes, a portion of them.
but not all.
sorry if i confussed anyone.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join