It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another US-Sponsored War on the Horizon, and it's not Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
BBC
The Christian-versus-Muslim Sudanese Civil War threatens to reignite in a dispute over the sharing of that nations mineral wealth and the disarming of militias.

Under the deal that ended the 21-year civil war, the South gained control of the Vice Presidency, was promised a share of the country's wealth, autonomy, and the disarming of government-supported militias in the South.

The Vice Presidency originally went to the rebel leader John Garang, who died in a "helicopter accident" very early in his term, and now is held by Salva Kiir, Co-founder with Garang of the rebel SPLM, and the head of its militant wing, the SPLA, who is believed to be more fiercely pro-Southern Independence, whereas Garang may have been more open to remaining under the present autonomy plan.

Kiir is now complaining that the predominantly Muslim government is not holding up its end of the bargain, continuing to support militias, and failing to spread the country's wealth. President Bashir claims the militias are now 75% disarmed and that the slow movement on the oil money is a result of delays on the South's part in organizing its autonomous government.

Much of Sudan's wealth lies within 3 border provinces between North and South which the South could launch a military effort to gain control of if not satisfied. If they were to capture these resources, their independence referendum in 2012 would be more likely to pass, and with domestic demand for those resources reduced by more than half due to the South's smaller population, Southern Sudan would potentially be able to earn enough money on exports to become a major player in the Horn area eventually.

It seems likely that this is the reason why Somalia has been an issue recently.Southern Sudan, unlike the North, is landlocked and would need either to move their oil through Kenya or through Ethiopia and Somalia to export. Kenya's relatively underdeveloped coast makes it a less favorable option, assuming that Somalia can be stabilized. This would serve the additional purpose of creating an indirect economic link between Christians and Muslims which might moderate the Muslim Street in the Horn.

Oh, and for the second time in as many weeks, I told you so.. In this thread and others I have been going on non stop for quite some time about how John Garang's death, the slow growth of interest in Somalia, etc were all pointing towards a play for Sudanese oil and a port to move it from.

My exact words in the above-linked thread were

Got a map of Sudan that I colored in with my crayolas a while back.

The blue line represents the present border of Autonomous Southern Sudan. The bright red line represents what I think the powers that be want the border to be. Then Darfur is outlined in dark Red.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
That, and Al Qaeda is active in the Horn of Africa, as a lot of these muslim nations are good recruiting grounds, and training areas. They're also active in the Philippines, Indonesia, South America,etc...hence "Global War on Terror."

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by GT100FV
That, and Al Qaeda is active in the Horn of Africa, as a lot of these muslim nations are good recruiting grounds, and training areas. They're also active in the Philippines, Indonesia, South America,etc...hence "Global War on Terror."

Terror has little to do with it, in my humble opinion. I was able to anticipate these developments by following the economic and strategic interests of the United States.

Most of the neighboring states benefited by what seems to be in the works here aren't Muslim nations, with exception of Somalia. It will stabilize non-Muslim nations at the expense of Muslim Northern Sudan, which will just become that much less stable.

The global war on terror has been little more than a front for the US to go around whacking anyone who was economically benefiting other nations at the expense of America. Afghanistan and the unocal pipeline, Iraq and the oil bourse, Iran, Sudan- an oil supplier to China, and now you're claiming that we've got to go after Al Qaida in South America??? Why even bother with the ruse now? Just let fly- take down the American Flag, hoist the PNAC colors, and declare war on the members of BRICS.

Edit for spelling

[edit on 11-1-2007 by The Vagabond]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Al Qaeda has been picking the brains of South American drug cartels and traffickers, and cozying up to various characters down there, trying to find allies, funds, techniques, etc.. They have numerous cells across North Africa, and get funds from sales of diamonds and other resources, as well as having training and recruiting going on. They've been busy in Asia/Pacific too. Of course it's not them we have to fear, but the USA right?

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Oh yeah.
Hi, 1981 called, it wants the cold war propaganda back, with "communism" and "Russia" reinserted where required.

I'm just waiting for the government to pull the Independance Day scenario that's supposed to be next, as "terrorism," "evil doers," and "happiness hating Muslim extremists" are already worn out excuses.

The lies don't even upset me anymore; I'm just bored.

[edit on 1/30/2007 by Sunsetspawn]

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Al Qaeda has been picking the brains of South American drug cartels and traffickers, and cozying up to various characters down there, trying to find allies, funds, techniques, etc.. They have numerous cells across North Africa, and get funds from sales of diamonds and other resources, as well as having training and recruiting going on. They've been busy in Asia/Pacific too. Of course it's not them we have to fear, but the USA right?

Can I assume that you read this on some the news who were informed by an unnamed us official? Really, where is the evidence to all of this?

This is an interesting thread however and I've grown tired of redundant celebrities screaming genocide where true rational intuition is never used to understand the politics in that region of the world. Blaming terrorism is just a cop-out for American forces to administer their justice.

Luxifero

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Wow, I think we have too many wars now..North Korea, Iraq, this one, Iran, maybe even Russia?

new topics

top topics

join