It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earths magnetic field reversing and strange weather- is there a link?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
As discussed in the link below vvvv

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It is noted that the magnetic field of the earth is weakening and is expected to reverse completely.. With this in mind I was wondering if this could explain the unexpected weather being experienced around the world- could the seasons actually flip too??

sorry i've just realised i've put this in the wrong category, could a mod please move it for me? sorry.. BS

[edit on 11/1/07 by Blacksheep]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Lots of info and links here in regards to the the sun, geomagnetic field, effects on weather, etc...are here:
ATS: Severe Geomagnetic Storm Research Project

Earth's weather starts at the sun, since it provides 99.998% of the energy of the Earth's climate. The sun's magnetic field has doubled in the last 100 years, solar activity has been at its the highest in the last 8000 years and the next solar maximum is forecasted to be immense.

Weather anomalies can occur from variations in the solar winds, flux and radiance or when a solar flare's blast hits Earth's magnetic field. A solar shockwave causes our geomagnetic field to shake. If it shakes hard enough, it's called a geomagnetic storm which can also effect atmospheric winds, barometic pressures, cause vortices to spiral in, etc. A weaker geomagnetic field would make Earth more suspectible to the effects of solar winds, cornonal streams and the sun's radiant energy. Changes to our atmosphere's fluid dynamics due to greenhouse gases, aerosols, dust and particulates will also effect the sun's role in our weather. Our weather is a complex dynamic system that has many factors at play.

You can see the Earth's magnetopshere and how active it becomes when a solar wind buffets it: Real-time 3D Magnetosphere Simulation More info here in English: nict.go.jp

The physical earth itself isn't flipping, so the seasons will remain the same. The magnetic field may or may not flip and it probably won't be anytime soon. The earth could remain in the 10-20% reduced magnetic field strength level for a 1000+ more years.

Earth's Magnetic Field Is Fading National Geographic
"We hear the magnetic field today looks like it is decreasing and might reverse. What we don't hear is it is on a time scale of thousands of years," Glatzmaier said. "It's nothing we'll experience in our lifetime."

Over time a new field can continue to grow. This further weakens the original magnetic field. If the process continues, the two fields would eventually cancel each other out. Earth's magnetic field would collapse and then, maybe, flip.

"But more likely than not what will happen is the original [field] will get stronger again and overwhelm the instability," Glatzmaier said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Additional Info:
Nova's Magnetic Storm
Magnetic Field Weakening in Stages, Old Ships' Logs Suggest Nat'l Geographic

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Wow.. thats an amzing reply and answers my question.. Thanx very much!

join