It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Society and the Family

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I was tasked with writing a paper on "The Effects of the Breakdown of the Family Group in Society."

As per my life experience, I intend on developing this around the criminal aspect and sub-cultures inherent in the criminal societies, focusing on the breakdown of the two parent family unit and the effects of "lost children" in today's society.

Specifically I intend on targeting the emergence of the Gang Culture and the Narcotic's Culture as they exist in most urban inner city environments.

To Consider:

1. The attraction of Gangs to the youth culture as it pertains to the psychological need for acceptance, discipline and unit cohesion.

2. The effects of working single parents on the developmental stage of children and how this translates into their adult psychology.

3. The narcotics sub-culture and it's attraction to our youth. (Besides the monetary issues)

I would love to have any and all input from interested members in this regard, both negative and positive.

If I can obtain some input, I can use this to formulate my paper without any prejudice on my part...

Thanks in advance...

Semper

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
semp, you should look into situations in which both parents are present yet absent

ie, workoholic parents

those families seem to breed plenty of problems

also, you should make sure to compare single families to 2 parent families by their economic conditions
just to ensure you're not comparing an upper class situation with a lower class one

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 06:06 PM
link   
This is my formula for writing a good paper.

Go to the library and do a search on your subject. Silver Platter used to be the source I'd use for Social Science. That may have changed.

Use the abstracts to narrow your search.

Make a copy of the abstracts so you can take your time picking the best papers. More is better.

Make copies of all the articles.

Take the copies home and study them carefully. Use a highlighter.

Look for threads of continuity.

When you write your paper, tell 'em what your going to tell 'em.

Tell 'em.

Then tell 'em what you told them, then edit, edit and edit.

Edit it again.

Turn it in and wait for your "A."

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
My advice is not to go into the paper with a preconcieved notion that all kids of single parent families turn out poorly. So not true. Also it might be interesting to take a look at single parents who date alot; I've seen some who have a new partner seemingly every other month. Also the effect of extended family help for single parents.

I also believe that the gang culture is so popular because it gives members a sense of family and belonging they may lack.

Anyway, please share the results with all of us it should be interesting.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 03:10 AM
link   
I absolutely will share it with you all... It is part of my Masters in Criminal Psychology...

Grady...

Thanks for the advice, but I am looking for different perspectives in which to either mirror, exemplify or contrast my own ideas. As GH so eloquently put it, I am trying to NOT go into it with preconceptions. However, if one studies human behavior, one knows how impossible that is. So I am hoping to garner some different perspectives from members here as ATS has such a varied membership of intellectuals....

Madness, Thank you. I actually had not considered the "Complete" yet "Incomplete" family structure of two working parents. This also would include the "Latch Key" children...

Semper

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
What I am suggesting is that you will need substantive data to support your ideas and the best way to find that is to do a literature search. Once you know what data is available, you will know what perspectives you can support in your paper.

Unless the paper is to be solely based upon opinion, the professional literature is the where you should start.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
It just ate my post...

Oh, well...

Be careful of any preconcieved notions that you may or may not have. Go where your research takes you.

Your topic is going to be fascinating. The seeming exceptance of the drug culture in modern society, along with the gang culture, is a blight on our western society, IMHO. Look forward to seeing your results should you choose to put them on ATS.

Good luck...

top topics

join