It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

About Ghosthunting....?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Okay,
A couple of days ago, a friend popped up with a problem...a possible ghost problem, by my estimations. Here's the background.

My friend, CC, has two daughters, the older of which (10) has been having nightmares or night-terrors for over a month now, concerning a "woman" who puts on a mask and looks through her window at night. The girl says the woman knows her name and calls her name out, which is what wakes her up. It scares her silly and her mother, CC, says it's not anything like her daughter to make this stuff up. Her daughter recently broke her ankle and she tells her mother that "The woman knows that my leg is hurt and KNOWS I can't just run away at night".
The kid is scared, the Mom, CC is getting worried that real or not, it's affecting her little girl in a profound way. CC has never seen any evidence to support her daughters claims, but, believes her daughter is truely scared of something strange at night.

I want to investigate.

I have access to a very good 6.0mp Canon EOS Rebel camera and I'm willing to buy a good digital recorder to possibly catch some EVPs, but, I have little to no experience with ghosthunting myself.

So

I need some advice to help me along with this. I do have the ear of a local ghosthunting group in my county, Lake County Paranormal Investigations, but, I'd like to have some evidence to bring to them beforehand.

So what can I do? Am I on the right track with the camera and a digi recorder?

Any help is appreciated.

Cuhail

PS/edit: I should add that the window is on the second story and right above the the living room, there is no way someone is ACTUALLY outside the window.

[edit on 1/11/2007 by Cuhail]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Yes you have a good start,I just picked up a 20 gig media recorder that I can use with any camera including the wireless super Night vision camera ,The more infrared lights that you have on your digital camera,the better you will see clear bright video and photos in a darkened room at night.most new cameras have 1 or two IR lights that are ok for a small room.Mine has 30 IR lights to see far at night outside.You can get a really good deal right now from TigerDirect,I bought this one here...
www.tigerdirect.ca...
You can also go to www.Tigerdirect.com for US orders.The camera here...
i32.photobucket.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Anyway one of my friends had the exact same problem with his young daughter,He ended up selling his old house and buying a brand new house to solve his problem,something scaring the crap out of his daughter every night.If you use a wireless camera,you can just set it up to watch the window and you could record from downstairs or any other location in the house if you have one using the 2.4 GHz frequency.A cheaper way would be to just use a web-cam and connect to a computer in the room,record all night to the computer harddrive.

[edit on 11-1-2007 by mistr_b2]

[edit on 11-1-2007 by mistr_b2]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Well, I'm not trying to make a career out of it, so, no big purchases are in the near future. $190.00 is a bit steep for what I'm thinking. I am just looking to get a little more of a grasp on the situation to decide if any Paranormal Investigation is even in order. I have a number or two to call if the case becomes more potenially "juicy", but, I want to just have some ideas on what to look for in relation to forming a case.

Equipment is all well and good for the amateur or professional Investigator, but, I can't afford to persue that avenue right now. I need some wisdom passed on about what the Investigator would need to decide on investigation or not.

But, Thanks!

Cuhail

Edit: The webcam is a good idea, that's a bit more possible. I didn't see your second post before replying. Thanks for the add-on.

[edit on 1/11/2007 by Cuhail]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Well, you came to the right place then. There are some very smart and experienced people here on ATS who can help. I've had my own experiences with ghosts, and my sister-in-law is rather "attuned" to them. She does tarot, and could freely communicate with spirits when she was younger.

My opinion on your friends' situation would be that the woman who is "harassing" her daughter may not be harassing her at all. But then again, she might, based on the whole "mask" idea. What kind of mask is it and what does she do, just stand there, then the girl wakes up, or does the woman try to scare her by jumping towards her and the like?

The camera and digital recorder are a great start, however, spirits have been known to instantly kill a battery to all electronic devices around them based on the electromagnetic fields they emit, or exsist it, or whatever.

Something you can do is to have the mother research the history of the house, to see if there are any disturbing events that took place there. If it is a new house, research the land and see what used to be there. I had an experience that was more of a jovial/jesting occurance when I was attending tech school on a former indian/civil war battleground. I walked into my room at the end of a long hall. (the dorms were like long-houses, you could see all the way to the other side of the building through one main hall) As I walked in the room, and being the only one in the building just before lunch was over, I closed the door behind me and walked 3 feet, and it unlatched, and swung open. I though this was a breeze or air pressure from the hall, as the hallway door was about 5 feet from the door to my room and was rather hard to shut to to difference in air pressure. Anyway, I closed the door, thinking nothing of it, and jokingly to myself, said outloud "now stay shut", I latched it, and walked back into the room 3 feet, and this time, it swung open with enough force that it hit the rubber stopper 180 degrees from where it latches, and bounced back off the wall. It was obvious to me that someone had pushed it open with some considerable force, yet there was no-one outside the room, in the next 3 rooms, or outside the building within 1000 feet. (Sorry for the sidetrack--needed backstory)

So I do believe in spirits. I have had other experiences, but that is for another topic. What you can do is have the mother walk into the room just before she goes to sleep and ask aloud "Is there anyone here who would like to speak to me?", do this a couple times to get the spirits attention, and ask for the spirit to knock on the wall a couple times to let her know that they are there and paying attention (Trust me.....THIS WORKS) Then, you can ask some of the following questions of this spirit....

"If you are here and would like your picture taken, I am going to take a picture of "this" wall (point). Wait a few seconds, and take the pictures..........a few should do OK.

It won't show up on the camera if anything is there until you upload/develop the photos on a computer or such.

Another thing you can do is to have the mother place the camera over the girls head, or on a desk, facing the window, and announce if "she" has something to say or a message for us, then show us on the camcorder.

**********************Warning*****************************

You don't know if this spirit is good or malevolent, so ask if the spirit wishes any harm of her or her daughter. Do this by asking for knocks a # of times (yes/no)

If the spirit is persistant and does not reveal itself to you, then you have the right to ask it to leave.

As far as I understand it, spirits are bound to an area based on what it needs to finish, however, it could just be a reminant of a spirit who has a deep connection to the area. I also am under the impression that if a spirit is malevolent in nature, and is scaring the daughter on purpose, then the mother has to be very authorative, and ask the spirit not to show itself again, and to leave the house.

"I need you to leave now, and not bother us anymore!"
"You are not welcome here, you must move along!"

Things of this nature, do not "ask" the spirit to leave, as it poses as a request rather than a need.

Also you could try to take random photos of the daughter in the room in different areas during the day/night and see if that reveals anything about the identity of the spirit in question. Spirits usually stick around those who they contact but do not make themselves known until the brain is in a "sleepy" state as the brain is able to pick up the lower Hz ranges that spirits are suppost to exsist on.

I am not a complete authority on ghosts, just what myself and my family members have experienced over our current life-times.

I hope this helps in any way.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Just use a web camera and see if you can borrow a laptop computer from someone A web cam can be around $20.00 only unless you use your own camera and just wait in the room perhaps.I would be curious myself to wait it out and see what shows if anything,could be she just has bad nightmares and then you would solve the mystery.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
PRAY!...I had a problem like this but not with nightmares, mine was with demons...That was when I had horrible problems with drugs, partying, not listening to parents etc...They would torment me with screaming my name etc...I had no idea what was going on..

Anyway what I was told to do is get a candle a WHITE CANDLE ...put it next to the Holy Bible every night and fill an empty glass with water.
What I was told this water is the Water Of God and whatever is in that room will drink it, you will be amazed when you see how this water dissappears, and not from evaporation. Tell the spirit to leave it is not welcomed and the house is a house of God (not sure if they are religous.) And of course ending my terrible ways helped out too. This could be totally off from what this young lady is experiencing, but for her sake she'll be in my prayers tonight.

If all else fails, tell'em to move out.

[edit on 11-1-2007 by antmax21]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
"The camera and digital recorder are a great start, however, spirits have been known to instantly kill a battery to all electronic devices around them based on the electromagnetic fields they emit, or exsist it, or whatever."

This did actually happen to my camera in an old house we were taking pictures inside and later there was a really low pitch humming noise that ruined the audio on the video camera,then parts of the video would not show up at all on the computer and were impossible to edit...so ya I agree and there was no power lines in the area .

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Mstr, I think you have the right idea, a webcam is like $20 nowdays, and you can run quite a long cable to the pc and record all night. The image quality isn't that great yeah, but, I wouldn't recommend using a laptop, Because they are battery powered as well. If you kill the battery, it shuts off. Use the PC, I have never heard of a spirit killing power completely to a house, just make it flicker

Just make sure you have a battery backup like me....but then again, that wouldn't help either.

Do those old kodak cameras that spit out instant photos run on batteries? My dad had one he used for years, but I never saw him add batteries.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Kingalbrect, Thanks for the relating. You have a good grasp of what I need, thanks. Your post helps. I like the long cord-to-PC ideas.

Antmax, One of the first things she said was she was going to put a crucifix in her room, and I asked "Are you religeous at all?" she said "No, not really" where as I mentioned where I thought a crucifix might as well be a paperclip without the faith to back it up.

Thanks guys, I'm feeling less ignorant with every post.
Cuhail

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Yeah, there's got to be a Polaroid laying around here, my Pops-in-law is a camera collector, so, I'm sure there's one in our house somewhere. And, yes, I believe they DO have batteries.

Cuhail

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I agree with the paperclip idea, it seems rather foolish to put all your "false faith" into an object you don't believe in. I am not religious, but I do believe in reincarnation and the like, and confidence in yourself and your power to change things as you see fit is often times all you ever need.

Besides, the only ignorant question is the one that is never asked.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
I'm posting this response without having read anything anyone else has posted. No offense to those above me, I just don't want my thoughts to be clouded by things others might be offering.

The first thing you need to do is understand -exactly- what is being experienced. The first thing that jumped out at me is the omniscience the little girl experiences during her night terrors. Normally in dreams it is not uncommon to know the intensions of others. After all, it is your dreamstate and your reality.

This little girl is being traumatized, no question about that, but I think there are some clues as to what might be going on. Personally, I think the girl is suffering from being vulnerable due to her broken ankle. She knows that if someone came in through her window, that she would not be able to escape.

My advice (before jumping into a spiritual line of thinking) would be to have CC ask her more about the woman in the mask. Have her draw an image of the mask, or to ask details about it. Ask questions about the voice. Is it someone that the girl knows? Is it a harsh voice or is it a soothing voice trying to get the girl to let her in.

I am also curious as to how the girl broke her ankle. Could she have some kind of fear that whatever happened could happen again? If another person was involved, even accidentally, she could be holding on to that fear.

Next, I would suggest to CC that she give her daughter two things. First I would give her a baby monitor. The microphone portion in the daughters room, the speaker portion in her mother's room. Have CC explain to her that if any noise is made, CC will be in there to protect her. Have CC and the daughter try it before bed to reenforce that the girl is safe, and if needed, repeat it every night. The next thing I would suggest is a charm on the window, my suggestion is a dreamcatcher. Whether or not CC believes in it is not the point, she needs to get her daughter to understand the function of the dreamcatcher. I would have suggested a crucifix for adults, but children are usually a little more whimsical and native american mythology usually gets the job done nicely.

With the combination of protection from the charm and the reenforcement of the baby monitor, the little girl's fears might be taken care of, and the manifestation of the fear might leave as well. If, of course, that is what the problem is in the first place.

As always, I would also suggest having the girl talk to a counselor or someone else trained in child therapy. She recently suffered an injury that is weighing on her mind and a little counseling never hurts.

If you and CC decide to go this route before jumping toward the spirit route, I would love to hear about your results.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by antmax21
PRAY!...I had a problem like this but not with nightmares, mine was with demons...That was when I had horrible problems with drugs, partying, not listening to parents etc...They would torment me with screaming my name etc...I had no idea what was going on..

Thats not spirits your on about. It's called doing your rattle, what drugs were you taking! heroine? crack? crystal meth? lots of ecstacey?

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   
lol, coc aine...it's all over now, nah I know what was happening trust me. I would get scars, and see black shadows, even when I wasn't on the drugs, no "rattling" needed. I wasn't an addict just a recreational user.

And trust me I know Gods and Demons exist. When I would mention Jesus they would try even harder to wreak havoc, but to no avail, the spirit of God is too strong in me now...there's a lot more behind what happened but this isn't about me.

Back to the subject well maybe it is time for them to fill up on that faith, God is there, you have to acknowledge his power and light, people need to realize when bad things like this happen to good people, evil is getting stronger and Christ is coming. Sad to say it but it seems like this is were we are heading. IMHO.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SKUNK

Originally posted by antmax21

Thats not spirits your on about. It's called doing your rattle, what drugs were you taking! heroine? crack? crystal meth? lots of ecstacey?

NOT what we're talking about.

Hank,
Yeah, I hear every word. However, I guess this has been going on for longer than her ankle/leg has been hurt. I'm sure the dreamcatcher would ease a bit of tension, I've seen it work with my daughter. The power of suggestion is still more applicable to children, and it wouldn't suprise me if that, alone, cleared it up.
The moniter is a good idea too. As my daughter has limited use of her legs, we keep a moniter in her room for late-night potty help and we can hear every move she makes.
Counciling is always a good idea for kids because it helps them form meanings about the feelings they have...and they have them...and they should be expressed before they express them with stuff like this. I don't think it's the case here, but, that's not written in stone yet.

My advice (before jumping into a spiritual line of thinking) would be to have CC ask her more about the woman in the mask. Have her draw an image of the mask, or to ask details about it. Ask questions about the voice. Is it someone that the girl knows? Is it a harsh voice or is it a soothing voice trying to get the girl to let her in.

That, I think is what I'm going to suggest to CC next. Good idea!

Thanks Hank. I don't always agree with your point of view in a lot of threads, but, I respect you and your good advice. Thank you.

Cuhail

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuhail
Thanks Hank. I don't always agree with your point of view in a lot of threads, but, I respect you and your good advice. Thank you.

Cuhail

Glad I could be of some assistance.

If this gets to a level where you do begin to investigate it on a spiritual/ghostly level, I will offer some more advice. I have done a bunch of those types of investigations too.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Being someone that works in sleep medicine, this is what jumps out at me…

Stage 4 is true delta sleep. It predominates the first third of the night and accounts for 10–15% of total sleep time. This is often described as the deepest stage of sleep; it is exceedingly difficult to wake a subject in this state. This is the stage in which night terrors, bed wetting, sleepwalking, and sleep-talking occur.

Night terrors generally happen in Stage 4 sleep. Though night Terrors do not usually involve dreams per-say there may be an object that is recalled that caused the fear, in this case an old woman with a mask. Is she difficult to wake up after she first experiences the event?

Night terrors are distinct from nightmares in several key ways. First, the subject is not fully awake when roused, and even when efforts are made to awaken the sleeper, he/she may continue to experience the night terror for ten to twenty minutes. Unlike nightmares, night terrors occur during the deepest levels of non-REM sleep. Even if awakened, the subject often cannot remember the episode except for a sense of panic, while nightmares usually can be easily recalled. After the night terror is complete, it can often result in a seizure, which is commonly a tonic-clonic type (although the subject may not be epileptic). The subject often has no recall of the dream, nor the fit.
Unlike nightmares, which are frequently a scary event dreamt (e.g. a monster under the bed, falling to one's death, etc.), night terrors are not dreams. Usually there is no situation or event (scary or otherwise) that is dreamt, but rather the emotion of fear itself is felt. Often, this is coupled with tension and apprehension without any distinct sounds or visual imagery, although sometimes a vague object of fear is identified by the sufferer.

Stage 4, also called delta or slow wave sleep, are involved with the healing process, and is more predominate in children in general and decreases in frequency with age. This is why doctors often tell parents not to worry about certain things that a child does in their sleep as they will grow out of it. They simply mean that as stages 3 and 4 sleep decrease the events will stop.

Restorative theories of sleep describe sleep as a dynamic time of healing and growth for organisms. For example, during stages 3 and 4, or slow-wave sleep, growth hormone levels increase, and changes in immune function occur. In some studies sleep deprivation has led to decrements in immune function and, under extreme, extended sleep deprivation regimes, altered metabolism. [citation needed] However, short periods of sleep deprivation have not been conclusively shown to significantly impact organ, muscular, cardiac, or other somatic function in ways that suggest that any of these systems are primarily influenced by sleep.

Then to make matters worse there are some medications that can increase the amount of Delta sleep that an individual experiences. Was she put on anything after breaking her ankle or something around the time the events started occurring?

If she was put on medication, then look up its fact sheet and see if that medication does anything to increase the amount of slow wave sleep, or delta sleep.

Also does this still happen if she sleeps somewhere else, like at a friend or relatives house?

There is not much point in you spending a lot of money on equipment when it might simply be something medical occurring.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Great post. I'm smarter having read that.

I'll ask about waking habits (if I understand correctly) and see if she shows any odd signs like you mentioned.
I'll also ask about medications.

I'm now making a list of some questions that might help us figure this out. Thanks to everyone with advice. You're all helping immensely.

Cuhail

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
My advice would be to insulate the window. Infrasound can be caused by wind blowing past a small crack around the window, and it has been proven to cause feelings associated with hauntings.

Infrasound Explanation

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join