It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spontaneous Combustion Of Girl's Hair Leaves Doctors Wondering

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 02:44 AM
link   
This is about human combustion. This is not the first time that I heard such kind of story. This is considered to be a mysterious phenomenon. This case, it was the hair that went on fire. It happened two days ago in the capital City of Vietnam to a 15 year old girl. It happened while she was at school as the first attack. Later that day, at home when she was with her family, it happened again. Late at night, it happened again. Then the next day, she was taken to the hospital in which the doctors can't find a single explanation.

www.thanhniennews.com
Fellow students cried out in horror as smoke arose from the hair of a 15-year-old student in northern Vietnam two days ago, an apparent victim of spontaneous combustion.

Doctors were left scratching their heads after B.H.V, a ninth grader from Nam Dinh province now in Hanoi for treatment said she was feeling normal during class on noon Monday, when her teacher suddenly cried out in fright that her hair was on fire.

Looking up she saw a circle of smoke 2 meters in radius above her head.

It happed in only 10 seconds, she recalled, adding her hair had been singed and produced a burnt smell.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is fascinating to me. Although in the past, I heard several similar events, never really took it seriously. This time it happens in the place where I live. For the authenticity of the story, the source is an official and national news network of Vietnam and considered as one of the most respected news source. So as far as the credibility of the source, I have no doubt that it occurred.

During the first attack, it happened in a classroom. There are many witnesses, the doctors, the hospital staff and the victim’s family. It is disturbing because when they went to the hospital, no one can explain what is happening. The doctors present can’t give any advice and admitted that they have never seen anything like it before.

I don’t know if science can explain this mysterious phenomenon. I am wondering if it is supernatural. Or could this be scientifically explained? Bottom-line, is for me, this is puzzling. What could be the possible cause for this?

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Spontaneous Human Combustion - Fact Or Fiction?

[edit on 11-1-2007 by UM_Gazz]

[edit on 11-1-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   
My guess is fun with Chemistry. I bet she was using hair products. "Score" brand hair gel, when exposed to chlorine will eventualy ignite. It was probably something like that but is getting hyped for a slow news day.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Although the above poster may be right, hear is some more info on the theory at large.
wikipeadeia

MBF

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I agree with Terapin. I always thought that all the stories about spontanious human combustion were just a bunch of lies until I read this article HERE and it got me to thinking otherwise. All we are is a walking pile of chemicals and chemicals react with other chemicals.

I think the girl just put some chemicals on her hair that took some time to react and start the fire.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Yups, I agree to all the posts. It could be really due to a chemical reaction.
If it really is, I also have not found any convincing evidence to support this.
Is this incident an isolated one? (The girl in the news who has spontaneous combustion) I am wondering if anyone knows of another similar incident that came out int he news.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Couldn't the static electricity build up in her hair cause the alcohol in the hair products to ignite?

I've seen some images of SHC victims on TV, and it looked like most of their body would have burned to ash, rather than just a section, such as this girl's scalp.

[edit on 12-1-2007 by DJMessiah]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Could it possibly be that some 9th grade weasel boy flicked a match into her hair and won't come clean about it? Have you ever seen how insanely fast a head of hair goes up in flames when a match comes in contact with it? It truly doesn't need flammable elements in it to go "poof" in a few seconds. All it takes is a flicked match.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll
Could it possibly be that some 9th grade weasel boy flicked a match into her hair and won't come clean about it?

It did not happen just once. The girl had four attacks in two days time. The first attack happened in the classroom. That would not explain the three remaining attacks.

I will try to get an update on this if I can. The hospital where they took the girl is just a short walking distance from where I live.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll
Could it possibly be that some 9th grade weasel boy flicked a match into her hair and won't come clean about it?

Possible, yes. Probable, not. The girl would have noticed a match in her hair. The amount of times it has happened to her means that it occurs by her actions, when she's not in the presence of others. I still believe one of the most probable causes has to do with a static charge going off and lighting the alcohol in her hair products.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by searching_for_truth
This is about human combustion.

www.thanhniennews.com
Fellow students cried out in horror as smoke arose from the hair of a 15-year-old student in northern Vietnam..

Looking up she saw a circle of smoke 2 meters in radius above her head.

It happed in only 10 seconds, she recalled, adding her hair had been singed and produced a burnt smell.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

in 10 seconds, and a circle of smoke above her head (2 meters radius)

the class & the teacher all must have had their eyes focused intensively on something before them (reading material? art class? contemplating one's navel?)
and no wandering eye or sensitive nose picked up any clues or flight/flight sensory inputs from a 12 ft diameter halo of smoke from burning hair???
in a confined space(classroom)???

bottom line.....exaggeration!

Dae

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hmm, why would most of you think hair products, do you doubt that the Vietnamese doctors have thought about that (probably immediately after prank/accident) and ruled it out?

I imagine that the doctors will be asking ALL sorts of questions, where has she been recently, any different food intake and of course any change in cleaning and other chemical products in her home and school? I also imagine they would be doing other tests we have no idea about because we arnt docotrs.

Just sayin'

Im wondering if anyone saw actual flames or if it was just smoke, intriguing though!

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I went to the hospital where they took the girl. I failed to get any information due to lack of cooperation from the staff. I think the best way to start is from the reporter of this news. So, that will be my next move. Hopefully, I can get a real good accurate first hand information. I do really want to see an update on this event. This is the first time I got so close to this phenomenon.

[edit on 13-1-2007 by searching_for_truth]

Ex

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I remember my teacher talking about this Phenomena in
Physiology class.

It does have to do with the chemicals of the body
and the fire burns from the inside out. the fat of the body
heats to a burning tempature and spontaniously combusts.

HERE

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by searching_for_truth
I went to the hospital where they took the girl. I failed to get any information due to lack of cooperation from the staff. I think the best way to start is from the reporter of this news. So, that will be my next move. Hopefully, I can get a real good accurate first hand information. I do really want to see an update on this event. This is the first time I got so close to this phenomenon.

[edit on 13-1-2007 by searching_for_truth]

Thanks for posting the story.This is also a very interesting subject to me. I'm looking forward to more updates on this story.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Has anyone used a detector to detect radioactivity at the scene?
Possible phenomena of some kind of nuclear chain reaction the nature of which we still don't know.

posted on Jan, 13 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Nor is this a contemporary phenomenon. Charles Dickens used it in one of his novels, sorry I can't recall which one off the top of my head, but the point it that SHC was a subject of interest to the Victorians, who didn't have the exotic chemicals we ingest or apply to our bodies.

top topics

join