It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer Asteroid Strike In 2029?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I was just reading on MSN about the recent discovery of an asteroid named 99942 Apophis. Said stone weighs approximately 25 million tons and is about 820 ft. wide, moving at 28,000 mph. This by itself is inconsequential, but what makes this rock special is its orbit. It is forecast to pass within 18,800-20,800 miles of this wonderful blue orb we call home in the year 2029. Now that may not sound too bad, but the fact is that there's a very small chance that it will pass through a "gravitational keyhole", which is 18893 miles out. If this should happen, there is an increased risk of the Earth's gravity affecting the trajectory enough so that in 2036 there is an almost certain collision. Apophis will impact with the strength of 65000 Hiroshima bombs...meaning goodbye to a small country. Scientists are confident enough in the calculations to postpone any further action until 2014. Now I don't know about you all, and I make no claim to speak for anyone but myself, but I believe in the Boy Scouts motto of "Be Prepared". Especially when it comes to potentially saving perhaps millions of innocent (taxpayers) lives.

P.S. Sorry if this has been posted already.

[edit on 10-1-2007 by subliminaut]

new topics

join