It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's address to the Nation..Your thoughts

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

20,000 troops in my mind, just means 20,000 more targets, 20,000 more worried and possibly grieving families.

Agit, As you and I have discussed before, what about the 10's of 1,000's of innocent sunnis that will be slaughtered if coalition forces pack up and leave?

how long is this 20,000 troop addition going to be considered the 'next step' until it becomes apparent that it achieved nothing?
What will we do then ? we cant possibly send in MORE troops....

We?

Whats the ultimate goal with 20,000 troops?

to kill all the insurgents?

To kill enough of them so that the Iraqi army can handle the rest. Also possibly to weed out the sh#t from the Iraqi Army.

George, there's NO LOGIC BEHIND WHAT YOUR DOING.

The new thing I heard that no one else is talking about is Bush's challenge to the Iraqi parliment to allow former bathists back into the political forum. This alone could quell alot of the violence.

What is your logical solution to this mess AgitatedChop?

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maverick44
TO start with I am not here to say that he came up with the answer or that he did not . I don"t no if anyone can , But there is some things that even I can think of , Our young men are being killed every day . we take A target . clean it out go on to a new target only for them to come back in and regroup .HOW does that help us .It will not end the war . Why cant they put some of the trained Iraqy soliders take command of it and and keep it ? they dont do any thing else . All of them have a part they can do for there own future .Our Men need there help . When our men dont have PRES .Bush behind them they will be lost . with the Demarats we all no they are all cowards.Pres. BUSH IS THE BEST WE HAVE . AND THEY ALL NO IT . I am sorry about my bad spelling .

And if Bush is the best answer we got and the demcrats have got all the answers then we as in America are in serious trouble

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I am yet to see the speach, but interesting some say it was pre-recorded.
thats a bit unusual isnt it?

more troops arent going to acomplish anything in my mind.
What can you do with 160,000 troops, that you couldnt do with 140,000?
And thats not even counting the help the ALLIES have in this coalition.

I think this clearly shows that the IRAQI police/army we are creating, Isnt going to work.

I see a lot of people here bashing the war saying what a terrible job Bush is doing...what I rarely see is what would YOU do if you were in control? Would you have us pull out or stay? Maybe something completely different that we have not heard of yet? I am curious as to what you think should be done.

Hope this post finds everyone in good spirits and health.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Guys try and lose the democrat / republican shennanigans and look at the actual situation.

The Commander of Central Command and Iraq Command have been replaced over this, the Chiefs of Staff are against it. When heads of state start to make the strategic decisions over the heads of experienced and competent generals the outcome is never 'victory'. Moreso when it has been widely reported that the US Forces on the ground are close to both breaking point and mutiny as well the fact the entire logistical training and maintenance structure is also close to breaking.

This is a wider geo-political problem and 'holding areas that have been cleared' has nothing to do with it.

I also agree that the mention of the carrier group and going after support networks is a green light for attacks within Iranian & Syrian borders. This would be in line with Israeli action which is being ramped up for the same.

This really has been a missed chance to get out with dignity and lives saved. The Iraqi problem is more about sunni v shia civil war than it is the insurgency. 'Coalition' forces are simply caught in the middle and treated as unwanted occupiers which they basically are. It's been 3 years and Iraqis still have less electricity, water and jobs than they had under Saddam. We have let the people down, we have not put infrastructure in place and we have made no efforts to reconciliation. It's been said if the 'Coalition forces' pull out it will no longer be a war against Islam (as it is perceived in the wider muslim world) but Islam warring against itself (sunni v shia).

There is no 'victory' available in Iraq for the US. And worse, this is looking more like a coded beginning of an escalation which could make 'Nam look like a picnic. A wider war with Syria and Iran, Israel involved with all the hate that will bring on all sides, Arabic countries as allies which will easily turn on us and each other as the power grab begins.

No US President has gone against public opinion and even his own party since Nixon and Cambodia and that didn't go well.

I'm sorry to say I honestly don't believe there is any intention to get out of Iraq even if there is a victory. The intention is a wider war which can be nothing but a conflaguration.

[edit on 10-1-2007 by kickoutthejams]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by QuasiShaman
The war mongering chimp is aiming towards a 3 front war with Iraq, Iran and Syria now. Thats what I took from the last 2/3 I heard. IE WWIII

Also, he is so incompetent he cannot even give a live speech. I wonder how many takes and reedits he needed to get this right!?

Yes, you're right. It's a much better idea to allow Iran to continue to train, fund, and supply the insurgency in Iraq.

And you're also right about the fact that the speech being pre-recorded was somehow a bad thing. It's so much better to be live because....what was that reason again?

Pull your head out!

Look, at this point we have sooo many middle eastern people hating us, our culture, our way of life, our military and our occupation in Iraq that we would have to kill literally 85% of the people to install our way, which at this oint in time is a failing democratic republic.

Why would they want a democratic system like ours anyway?

Look what our America has become. A bitter, divided nation whose own foundation was based on the principles of a transparent government that fears its people. When in fact we have a ultra-secret conspiring government lead by a imbecile that doesn't listen to what the majority of his people, military advisors and own congress tells him.

All the chimp is doing now is trying to preserve his lost legacy. Too little too late. This war is lost!

"w" Has lost the support of the Congress, the people and credibility of the USA in the eyes of the rest of the world.

He is fixing to go down hard! And he wants to bring the whole country down with him!

[edit on 11-1-2007 by QuasiShaman]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky

Agit, As you and I have discussed before, what about the 10's of 1,000's of innocent sunnis that will be slaughtered if coalition forces pack up and leave?

I didnt say they should leave, to be honest, I think they are stuck in a situation where both options open to them have no hope of achieving victory.

We?

yes WE.... As in Australia and the US

To kill enough of them so that the Iraqi army can handle the rest. Also possibly to weed out the sh#t from the Iraqi Army.

problem with killing 'enough' of them, is for everyone you kill, you create another.
And if you just go around killing, your going to kill so many innocents, that your going to create more off nothing as well.
more killing = better security? doesnt work does it.

The new thing I heard that no one else is talking about is Bush's challenge to the Iraqi parliment to allow former bathists back into the political forum. This alone could quell alot of the violence.
What is your logical solution to this mess AgitatedChop?

We, sorry, the IRAQI government just executed their dear leader..
Bathists, arent going to come in and 'help' a shia government.

Im not saying I have the answers,
but jee's.... people should be questioning bush's answers..

because as of late. everything he has done, suggested, touched or talked about since day 1 of his presidency, has done nothing but cause pain, blood shed, suffering and DEATH.

But hey, your right, 20,000 more troops, and bathists back involved.. thats clearly a corker!

[edit on 11-1-2007 by Agit8dChop]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I agree with those that say this is a lonely and embattled guy who can't see the reality of the situation and is prepared to act against the wishes of his generals and his people to try and prove his solution is the only one to follow.

Hitler in '45 springs to mind.

The signs are there, losing all support, delusional objectives, dictating military strategy (and tactics?), removing non-compliant generals, inserting yes-men who won't state the obvious. Hopefully he's got a pistol and a can of petrol ready!

Oh and being filmed in a library was hilarious - adds gravitas and neatly sidesteps his well-known intellectual limitations (oh sorry I forgot, he read Camus on his holidays - GWB the existentialist LOL).

A British withdrawl of 3,000 troops by May is being widely trailed here and although only a rumour it seems to show that even his poodle is prepared to break ranks (Himmler?) as even he can see a dead man walking.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Losing on 2 fronts, 2 puppet governments, 2peoples that hate us, so why not Double that, double the costs, take on Iran, Take on Syria and lose the battle in 4 places! 3000 dead is just not enough for Bushie I guess..he wants more American blood ,and most definitly more Muslim blood.
We can't after all leave our friends in the Middle East to fight their own battles...we gotta sacrifice in their name.

link   

Originally posted by PrepareForTheWorst

I see a lot of people here bashing the war saying what a terrible job Bush is doing...what I rarely see is what would YOU do if you were in control? Would you have us pull out or stay? Maybe something completely different that we have not heard of yet? I am curious as to what you think should be done.

Hope this post finds everyone in good spirits and health.

Me? I have no F'n Clue what I would do.

Please imagine this.

just imagine it, dont question it, just put your self in this position.

You have just murdered 10 people.
your hiding in a sewer drain.
The cops dont yet know WHO did it, but you know eveantually they are going to find out.
What would you do ?

now this has no comparison to the situation i know, but the situation is that unbelievable, and its so out of control.. there isnt anything you CAN do.
You let things get so out of hand, what ever future occurs no, isnt one you can control.
That is what Iraq is. More troops, isnt going to achieve SQUAT.
Pulling out, isnt going to ACHIEVE Squat.

Bush has really opened pandoras box, and the world will for ever look at america as the nation that ruined any chance the middle east had for peace.

What would I do in Iraq?

Jee's, had I of been president I wouldnt of ALLOWED 911 to happen.
I wouldnt of LIED ABOUT iraq's wmd's and the threat they posed.
I wouldnt of sent your sons and daughters to die on a battlefield that i SETUP to make MONEY for my friends.
I WOULDNT of lied for years about the way, continually covering up realities trying to paint a rosey picture when it was getting out of control.

But you expect us to have answers NOW ?

I have no idea what I would do If I was the president of the united states.

one thing I can tell you , is being i have a heart, and a soul... I would of killed myself a LONG TIME AGO, knowing all those innocent americas/iraqi's are DEAD, because of my lies and my greed.
I wouldnt be able to live with myself..
Im amazed this man can.

I thankgod he's your president.. and not mine thats for damn sure.
Howard sucks, but his only problem is he's desperate for attention.
Your leader doesnt mind killing his own citizens to save face.

link   
This really is THE turning point for America. The American people need to pull back from brink, stop the neocon agenda that defies all public opinion in favor of military industrial economics. If it's not stopped this will be WW3. A leader with such a disregard for their own peoples views is catastrophic. Look at Germany in '45.

If the American people 'go along' with this or sleepwalk into it then it's going to be unstoppable. The Draft will follow and it really will be a war for a generation. Baghdad and Iraq will swallow up as many troops as it is fed, let alone Iran, Syria, Afghanistan, Somalia.

It's time to point 'Hey! The Emperor has no clothes!'

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   
The argument of MORE TROOPS vs CUT & RUN can be summarized as follows:

Bush caught his willy in his zipper.

MORE TROOPS: continue zipping up.
CUT & RUN: back the zipper down.

I am all for blaming Bush for intentionally putting his willy in his zipper. That was stupid and he was warned.

When the next Hitler comes along, it will be unfair to compare him to Hitler until after he kills millions of people. I'd rather not wait for millions of people to die before sounding the alarm.

Columbus
The Messenger

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I find this paragraph a little baffling?

Fellow citizens: The year ahead will demand more patience, sacrifice, and resolve. It can be tempting to think that America can put aside the burdens of freedom. Yet times of testing reveal the character of a Nation. And throughout our history, Americans have always defied the pessimists and seen our faith in freedom redeemed. Now America is engaged in a new struggle that will set the course for a new century. We can and we will prevail.

...tempting to put aside the burdens of freedom? Tempting for who?

and a setting the course for a new century? What course is he setting and
for whom?

pleasenote: not bashing the speach, just find that bit a little curious is all.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
We need the troops in Iraq. We need more troops. It is vital that we mantain a presence in the three or four rougher districts of Iraq to stalemate any advance the terrorist may attempt. You cannot ward off these potential attacks by not assuring the people that they are safe. Bush has the responsiblity to win the hearts and minds of the people of Iraq. He must secure peace.

The country has been nearly eviscerated in two wars and years of oil sanctions. The infrastructure in Iraq is not on par to accomodate for mass troop withdraws. If the war in Iraq is to be had and over with, we must send more troops and send a message to these terrorist that we are not playing games with them.

The Iraqi people cannot be safe if US troop presences is diminished. There is no greater deterence against violence than US armoured patrols stepped up in order to accomplish the long standing goal of training and implementing the Iraqi's very own troop presence.

These terrorist must know who they are dealing with. We cannot show defeat, we cannot falter and we cannot allow ourselves as a country to show any weakeness. Iraq is a dividing zone with no homogenous majority. These are countrymen who are herders, nomads and displaced generations. The Kurds will declare independence and will declare a free and independent state of their own.

We cannot afford to risk dividing the house any further. A house divided against itself cannot stand. We cannot pull out and disintegrate what we have bleed for. Stability and sustainablity are key to keeping the heavy hand of the Iranians, Russians, French and British from taking control. The great game never ended and so to must America make a bold stand and take risk which can only secure the vital resources for this controls growth and sustainablity.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soitenly

EDIT

The country has been nearly eviscerated in two wars and years of oil sanctions. The infrastructure in Iraq is not on par to accomodate for mass troop withdraws. If the war in Iraq is to be had and over with, we must send more troops and send a message to these terrorist that we are not playing games with them.

EDIT

Stability and sustainablity are key to keeping the heavy hand of the Iranians, Russians, French and British from taking control. The great game never ended and so to must America make a bold stand and take risk which can only secure the vital resources for this controls growth and sustainablity.

Wars started by whom?

Oil sanctions called for by whom?

The infrastructure isn't upto scratch - now why on earth would that be?

'Send a message' - what message would that be - your troops can't control Iraq whatever the number? Way to go, that'll learn 'em!

Interesting that you're fighting in Iraq to protect it from your allies!!?

'The great game'? do you actually know the origins of that phrase?

You seem to have swallowed the propaganda of your masters and are just trotting it out. Not very convincing.

FOX viewer?

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
3000 of our men and women dead, uncounted numbers of innocent Iraqis dead. Our prez says "We have made mistakes and I accept responsibility for that" sounds like a sufficient admission of guilt to me. I wonder must be going through the minds of parents of fallen, maimed and psychologically impaired soldiers right now...their children gone,damaged forever because of his "mistake". Wouldn't cut it with me.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by XPhiles
It looked pre-recorded, definitely not live and he was reading cue cards.... pathetic... The speech opposes the American people..

i disagreed with his plan as well, but please, to critisize the fact that it looked pre recorded and to bash him for using cue cards for a 20min speech is beside the point and nit picky. its the contents of his address that matter.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 03:34 AM
link   
The B-man looked so old and tired.

This speech was a Sesame Street material.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   
International reaction to the Address

news.bbc.co.uk...

Last Updated: Thursday, 11 January 2007, 08:17 GMT

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Reaction to Bush's new Iraq strategy
International reaction to the announcement by US President George Bush that the US is preparing to send more troops in Iraq.

UK FOREIGN SECRETARY MARGARET BECKETT

The announcement that President Bush has made and the agreement and backup from the Iraqi government and Prime Minister Maliki shows that both are determined to try to come to grips with what is unquestionably a difficult situation in, particularly in Baghdad. We welcome that and we hope that the joint effort to resolve this very difficult security situation which is undermining efforts to put other things right in Iraq will indeed succeed.

AUSTRALIAN PRIME MINISTER JOHN HOWARD
The government supports the new approach outlined by President Bush. It was a very clear, calm and, above all, a realistic speech, but he didn't underestimate the challenge, he admitted some mistakes have been made and made it very clear what is at stake. An American or Western defeat in Iraq would give an unbelievable boost to terrorism.

JAPANESE FOREIGN MINISTER TARO ASO
The Japanese government praises this announcement as additional efforts by the US government to stabilise Iraq.

GEORGE JABOOR, SYRIAN MP
The American president is following a plan which has already failed. Why is he following through a failed plan? It's a plan of confrontation, challenge, accusations against this or that party that is against his Iraq policy. He is doing this in fact because he knows he has failed. As the president of the world's most powerful country, he feels he cannot admit failure. What is needed is for Bush to be humble and see the reality on the ground.

US SENATOR DICK DURBIN, DEMOCRAT
The president's response to the challenge of Iraq is to send more American soldiers into the crossfire of the civil war that has engulfed that nation. Escalation of this war is not the change the American people called for in the last election. Instead of a new direction, the president's plan moves the American commitment in Iraq in the wrong direction.

20,000 American soldiers are too few to end this civil war in Iraq and too many American lives to risk on top of those we've already lost. It's time for President Bush to face the reality of Iraq. And the reality is this: America has paid a heavy price. We have paid with the sacrifice of our men and women in uniform. And we've paid with the hard-earned tax dollars of the families of America.

JAMES CARAFANO OF THE HERITAGE FOUNDATION AND ONE OF THE MILITARY ADVISERS TO THE IRAQ STUDY GROUP
People say 20,000 troops aren't enough to secure Baghdad, that is absolutely true; on the other hand what I heard articulated was that 20,000 troops that are really being used to bolster the Iraqis and hopefully are going to free up a lot more troops to embed with the Iraqi forces and work on training and reforming the police force - that's a good thing; will it work? One of the weaknesses in the president's speech is there really wasn't much discussed of risk; this is a very risky strategy because it is really predicated on not what the US troops, but what on the Iraqis do.

Not what I expected at all. I expected more criticism. This is diplomacy at it's best or worst..Haven't made my mind up yet.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 04:29 AM
link   
My thoughts are kinda all over the place on this now...so here is how I feel.

I feel the most for the soldiers who have to go through murdering other people and watching their friends die. One of my job friends was a medic with a few of his buddies and when he started telling me his old war stories he cried like a child who lost their parents, best friend, and dog all on the same day. This guy was as tough as they come and was pretty smart to boot but some things just can't be forgotten.

He said he still wakes up screaming from the nightmares.

I just wish there was another way....I'm sick of the war and im not even in it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join