It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Because It Was The Right Thing To Do

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Heres another story about some civilians fro my area who are being honored by the Nassau County (NY) Police Department for saving lives and helping people:

www.newsday.com...

Nassau police honor civilians

BY JOSEPH MALLIA

[email protected]

8:41 AM EDT, October 2, 2007

Nassau police Commissioner Lawrence Mulvey on Tuesday will honor civilians who in recent years have come to the aid of victims and assisted the police in arresting robbery suspects.

Mulvey and County Executive Thomas Suozzi will present the Commissioner's Award to the civilians in a 7 p.m. ceremony at police headquarters in Mineola.

One of the civilians, Thomas Knabbe, stopped to give a ride to a woman and a small boy whose sport utility vehicle had broken down on the Northern State Parkway, on Oct. 10, 2005.

Knabbe became suspicious of the pair because boy spoke only Spanish and the woman spoke only English. Also, Knabbe found it odd that the woman asked to be dropped off at a Wantagh Parkway exit.

Instead of following the woman's request, Knabbe brought the pair directly to the Sixth Precinct, where officers determined that the boy was the subject of an Amber Alert because he had been in the SUV when it was stolen from the Bronx. The woman fled but was quickly located and arrested. The boy, Jay Polanco, and his family, will be at the ceremony Tuesday to see Knabbe receive this award.

The other Commissioner's Award recipients will be honored for bravery in aiding victims, helping a police officer who was being attacked, and detaining robbery suspects so the police could arrest them.

One civilian aided a swimmer who was unconscious in the incoming tide off Lido Beach.

Three came to the aid of persons in burning vehicles.

Two detained bank robbery suspects while disregarding risks to their personal safety, and were injured in scuffles with the suspects.

One civilian came to the aid of a police officer being assaulted by a suspect on Ring Road at the Roosevelt Field Mall.

The following recipients will receive the Commissioner's Award: -- Anthony Kremmidas, Bethpage -- Carl Ramirez, Lido Beach -- Robert Adler, Island Park -- Thomas Knabbe, Westbury -- Kristie Mondo, Huntington Station -- Joseph Forte, Levittown -- David Sistrunk, Uniondale -- Julian Huertas, Westbury

Everyday people will risk their lives to save others and do to the right thing. You dont have to be in law enforcement, fire/rescue, the medical profession, etc to save lives although they do it more often then the rest of us. Thats why I take the time to thank a cop or a firefighter/EMT when I see one as their jobs are mostly thankless. I have a rule that I will buy a cop or firefighter their meal(s) if I see them on line at a fast food place or restaurant.

[edit on 3-10-2007 by ChrisF231]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join