It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best ever air to air photo of a Typhoon!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Can anyone correctly identify the cargo plane its taken from? I agree that a 130 seems the most likely but some one on here has to have enough experince with the 130 that they could tell the diff.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH
Can anyone correctly identify the cargo plane its taken from? I agree that a 130 seems the most likely but some one on here has to have enough experince with the 130 that they could tell the diff.

It is, without a shadow of a doubt, a C-130 Hercules.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I think from the look of the walls inside the aircraft and the shape, it's a C-130.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 02:22 AM
link   

similar photo getting around

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Nice pic !

I do think though that the super F-18 looks more menacing that the origional F-18.. How ever, those guys who fly any fast jet have the dream job of every red blooded male!

Hope more people add pics to this thread of similar stuff, as to keep it rolling would be awesome.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
That's not a Super Hornet, its a F/A-18C Hornet. And judging but the symbols and paint I'd say it's not a US jet, looks like it's from Oz.

posted on Jan, 20 2007 @ 11:30 PM
link   
yes west point...and I was saying that i thought the new super hornet looks more menacing than the old version..which is in the picture..

Never mind.

How ever, if you have any cool pics of any aircraft, do add them if you would like to1

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Not a C-130. I've been inside a C-130, actually stood at the rear and studied the sides and the ramp when it was down. Nor have I ever heard of a stationed weapon(What is that operator holding?) at the tail end of a transport. Unless it was a gunship. The C-130 is much wider than that(judging by the proportion of the men to the actual opening.) I also know that the C-130 is wide enough to provision things such as bunk beds, even toilets. The C-130 I was on had a Toilet seat on the left side all the way aft right before the ramp.

The fuselage looks much more narrower. Were there any captions? I might be wrong, what did the site say/captions say?

Also, the AoA does not look that steep at all; as aircraft can stall at any attitude/any speed, I don't think that AoA is that steep. I think the aircraft is only at 10 degrees pitched upwards. If the plane is going fast enough and if the relative wind is coming down close at the plane's path; then AoA won't play much of a factor.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Actually, it's an F/A-18A, from 3 SQN, Royal Australian Air Force. It's a pretty old picture judging by the lack of CIT on the nose.

In the Gulf our Hornet's were fragged as F/A-18Cs, though this was due to the upgrades our Hornets have had. So it is a matter of debate about whether we fly A's or C's, but based on that picture, it is definitely an A at the time.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShatteredSkies
Not a C-130. I've been inside a C-130, actually stood at the rear and studied the sides and the ramp when it was down.

It is a C-130.

Been on more than you've had hot dinners I should imagine and actually flying as well, which is much better than just standing in one.

Also, one of my my Uncle's is a Wing Commander in the RAF and not only has he flown the things for years out of Lyneham and Brize Norton, but he is one of the top dogs in the RAF where Transport is concerned.

You may have seen him on the BBC when the East Timor stuff was kicking off. They interviewed him as the RAF head-honcho in charge of flying in relief. Wing Commander "Bob" Mason they called him... First time I have ever heard anyone call him "Bob"....

It is a C-130. Of that I am as sure as the nose on my face...

Nor have I ever heard of a stationed weapon(What is that operator holding?) at the tail end of a transport.

It's called a Video Camera.....

Unless it was a gunship. The C-130 is much wider than that(judging by the proportion of the men to the actual opening.) I also know that the C-130 is wide enough to provision things such as bunk beds, even toilets. The C-130 I was on had a Toilet seat on the left side all the way aft right before the ramp.

The fuselage looks much more narrower. Were there any captions? I might be wrong, what did the site say/captions say?

The cargo compartment of a C-130 is about 3 metres wide. Looks about right to me on the photo's.

Thing is, if you don't think it is a Hercy Bird (which it is), what the hell do you think it is? There is no other aircraft in the RAF inventory that even comes close to the aircraft shown in those pics.

Also, the AoA does not look that steep at all; as aircraft can stall at any attitude/any speed, I don't think that AoA is that steep. I think the aircraft is only at 10 degrees pitched upwards. If the plane is going fast enough and if the relative wind is coming down close at the plane's path; then AoA won't play much of a factor.

Shattered OUT...

The Typhoon wasn't on station like that. If you study the pics in sequence you can see the Typhoon come from below, maintain position at the rear of the Herc for a few secs and then drop off again.

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I said I could be wrong, which I am. Sorry I trampled your parade.

And I didn't have a video camera to see the whole thing.

That's a big camera all I have to say.

How do you know what that operator is a handling is a camera? He's covering it with his body. I've never seen anything like that on a C-130 at all, so excuse me if I'm not as enlightened as those who have operated on them, flown on them.

I'm not up-to-date on RAF inventory, so don't ask me what they have, and I don't suppose anything, I just didn't think that was a C-130 at first sight. Once again, I did say I could be wrong.

The aircraft to me, does not look like it is maintaining anything above a 10 degree pitch nose-up attitude. Now, once again, I could be wrong. Heck, watching airliners take off, you would think they're doing 30-40 degrees pitch-up, but really they're doing 17-20. From where the picture was take, does not look like that steep of a climb so I would imagine it is quite easy to simply put your nose up and then down, especially with something as agile as a Typhoon.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jan, 21 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   
No parade trampled on chap, but neither did you say that "you could be wrong". You flat out said it wasn't a Herc. I corrected you.

The camera I was referring to is clearly a camera.

The whole thing is being shot for a promo video and the crew in the back on the Herc are doing the filming. You can easily see it is a camera and not a weapons point....

And yes, professional camera's are big.....

Look at Jezza's post on the first page. 4th photo down. If it's not a camera, then dress me up as daffy duck and tickle my testicles....

Better yet, go to the link provided in D4rk Kn1ght's post, which is the 3rd one on the 1st page. Has the whole sequence of photo's there.

There's no need to act so hurt, Shattered....

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 07:12 AM
link   
No, I did say I could be wrong, don't tell me what I did or did not say when it's right in front of me, go back and read the ending of my post, I did say "I could be wrong."

And once again, it does not look like a camera to me. Nor does it look like a weapon's point either. I don't know what it looks like as I've never seen it before and the operator, once again, is COVERING the object. All the photos are taken from behind that point, not ahead.

You came off at me as if I had taken a leak in your wheaties is all. It just seemed like you had been hurt when I had just said (and of course only from MY experiences) that I did not think it was a C-130 and once again, I did say I could be wrong. Read my original post again, it's unedited and does say that I could be wrong because once again, lacking any real experience with the aircraft and having only stood in one it looked like something else than what I've seen.

Granted each Air Force that uses the C-130 most likely has different equipment on board.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 08:29 AM
link   

And once again, it does not look like a camera to me. Nor does it look like a weapon's point either. I don't know what it looks like as I've never seen it before and the operator, once again, is COVERING the object. All the photos are taken from behind that point, not ahead.

Its a video camera on a steadycam tripod, I recognise it.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Canada_EH

Thats not a C-130, the rear loading ramp is of a CH-47 Chinook i think you'll find. I've taken enough chinook rides to recognise this aircraft from these pictures.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   
C-130 ramp.

Chinook ramp.

Chinook ramp.

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I don't think it was a chinook. I don't think the Ch-47's max speed is up to the Eurofighter's minimum controllable airspeed. If that's the truth, then the Eurofighter would most certaintly stall before pulling up to that attitude.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I don't think it was a chinook. I don't think the Ch-47's max speed is up to the Eurofighter's minimum controllable airspeed. If that's the truth, then the Eurofighter would most certaintly stall before pulling up to that attitude.

Shattered OUT...

I'm not sure what the Typhoon's stall speed is.
I would guess somewhere in the region of 120 - 140 knots dirty configuration.

You're a student pilot, have you gotten to the slow flight regime part of the training yet?

With power on you can fly - under good, but somewhat mushy - control quite a bit slower than stall speed with power off.

I've seen 34-35 mph on the ASI (Air Speed Indicator) when flying Cessna 150's - a C model - in slow flight.
Flaps down a notch, a fair amount of power on and a fairly high AOA.
The 150-C stalls about 50 mph flaps down and 51 or 54 (can't remember for sure) mph when clean.

Granted, the 34-35 mph indicated is probably incorrect due to the pitot has a fairly high angle of attack, but the little airplane is putting along nicely and going nowhere fast.

Seems like the Typhoon could do the same.

Perusing the pics I see leading edge slats open, gear up and the flaps probably up.

As far as the Chinook's maximum forward speed goes, probably 120 knots or so . . . which is a guess.

In any event, I agree that the photo was not taken from a Chinook.
It does look like it was shot from a -130.
The C-130 ramp photo I posted could have changed configurations over the years or ramp design hinged on what the expected cargo would be, but it does look similar to the ramp in the Typhoon photo shoot.

[edit on 22-1-2007 by Desert Dawg]

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Jet engines act much differently than prop engines.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 02:11 PM
link   
C-17 perhaps? Oh sorry weve done that. I think it's a film Camera, possibly an Aaton check out the film mag. It's mounted on a tripod which might have a stabiliser. It's not a Steadicam.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join