It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft to cut swastikas from software

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 11:45 PM
link   
AHA! Proof that there is a Nazi connection here!

SEATTLE, Washington (Reuters) -- Microsoft Corp. said on Friday that its latest version of Office software inadvertently contained a font featuring two swastikas, and said it would offer tools to remove and replace the offending characters from the program.

The swastika, which was made infamous by Nazi Germany, was included in Microsoft's "Bookshelf Symbol 7" font. That font was derived from a Japanese font set, said Microsoft Office product manager Simon Marks

www.cnn.com...

I've been looking for these sorts of things for a long time, and here it is!

Does anyone know where to get this font?

There are alot of ways to subliminally advertise thing using fonts. Anyone remember that thing you can type in wingdings that shows the twin towers being stuck down by the planes?

If they didn't put it there on purpose, I wonder how it got in there. Who makes the designs for these graphical fonts anyways?

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Wait...I'm confused...How does a swastika accidently get included in a font set? Someone has to draw it...

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Wait...I'm confused...How does a swastika accidently get included in a font set? Someone has to draw it...

Well then, that means that it was no accident...

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I think it's all Bull#. There is Sooooooo many fonts/characters that are included, or can be downloaded from Microsoft. Anyone can make something dumb out of what they find. Not to mention he/they said that was used by a religion to show buda's foot steps

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The swastika is not a symbol of evil.... The nazis used it but the original meaning of that symbol was four Ls. They stood for different things in different cultures but normally it comes out like this. Life Love Liberty Laud.... It has been found in several ancient cultures and in no way did they use it to represent evil.

The Iron Cross is the same thing. Its really a Maltese Cross. A religious symbol. Hardly evil sounding to me.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:01 AM
link   
SWASTIKAS ON WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER!!!

*Note*

Nazis didnt think that they were evil by themselfs..

They thought that they were the defenders of freedom against Jews and Communism..

Just like Americans today think that they are defenders of freedom.. Against Moslems and Terrorists/Communists..

(Btw, both use EAGLE as their symbol..)

[Edited on 13-12-2003 by FULCRUM]

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NinjaoftheNight
The swastika is not a symbol of evil.... The nazis used it but the original meaning of that symbol was four Ls. They stood for different things in different cultures but normally it comes out like this. Life Love Liberty Laud.... It has been found in several ancient cultures and in no way did they use it to represent evil.

The Iron Cross is the same thing. Its really a Maltese Cross. A religious symbol. Hardly evil sounding to me.

i've argued this before and even though people do choose to be offended and create drama over this crap the fact one guy has ruined this symbol for the world as so many people want to get offended over every little thing and now we have whackos thinking MS is full of nazis and that bill gates is hitler Jr.

christ people get the # over it! not everything is a conspiracy! even a broken clock is right twice a day, better than most of you are at this conspiracy stuff. lots of speculation and circumstantial evidence and not one of you can really prove any of these conspiracies you all cry about.

if one wants to think that someone is against, even if they are not agaisnt them they will never be convinced otherwise. you all choose to buy into these theories because you want to, not because they might be true but because of underlying subconcious hatred and resentment for other people, things and companies.

you are the masters of turning molehills into mountains.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:07 AM
link   
It saddens me that this is the level of crap this board is descending into.

The Swastika is a buddhist symbol and was used for a LONG time before the nazi's adopted it, of course certain fonts are going to include it, its actually a lucky symbol and was used in many different languages as a character, hitler adopted it because it seemed like a symbol of national unity.

Fulcrum, those were randomly generated shapes as i tell you time and time again.

This proves nothing about a link between MS and the nazi's, bill wasn't even BORN when the nazi's were frogmarching across europe.

Yet again, Facts are the enemy of "the truth"

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling

Fulcrum, those were randomly generated shapes as i tell you time and time again.

Nerdling,

I knew that from the very start,

Even before i posted that shyte..

But still..

They were swastikas..

(Btw, i actually like swastikas.. sadly most people dont.. just look at it.. very powerful sign it is..)

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   
where the hell did you get that. [hate-site-nolink]?

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:25 AM
link   
ok i'm going to be civilized and break this concept down for you people and i hope it gets into your skulls...

any symbol can have any meaning however the one you think it has the is one YOU give it, which means you want/choose for it to have either a good meaning, a bad meaning or an indifferent meaning.

here's an example, gay bashers call gay guys fags. gay guys call each other fags (i've heard this first hand so i'm not assuming this happens) the word sounds exactly the same so what changed? the meaning, it had two different meanings. gay guys calling each other fag has a different meaning from a gay basher calling them fag. ut the word is the same!

one mans spiritual symbol is another mans symbol of hate.

you choose to think of this symbol in a negative way which means you want it to have a negative meaning. but is the symbol itself evil? no, its like a gun, you can use a gun to defend your home, shoot at beercans or kill people. how you choose to see things is the way you want them to be but this doesnt make things so. the symbol itself has no meaning, YOU give it meaning.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
where the hell did you get that. [hate-site-nolink]?

www.micetrap.net...
www.micetrap.net...

Via google image search..

And btw,

STFU!

Your shyte aint funny..

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

My perception of this symbol is one of power.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by FULCRUM

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

My perception of this symbol is one of power.

ok but is that power you perceive it to hold good, bad or neutral? or does it represent power in a general way to you? i'm kinda curious as you seem to be one of the few who arent boohooing over this symbol.

personally i'm not sure how to view the symbol as i never gave it much thought. i dont see it everyday so it has little or no meaning to me.

another question for you is, do you think of this as a symbol of power because its imposed over a flag? what if you saw it without a flag or any background at all? would it change how you see it? sometimes such changes make all the difference. admittedly the colors are striking but by itself it would look stark and bland.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
It saddens me that this is the level of crap this board is descending into.

It's a legitimate discussion Nerdling. Do you think ATS has a problem with it's content? Maybe you need to bring it to the Mods attention. Complaints

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Is it good, bad or neutral..
(I know that im supposed to say that it is evil..)

But i really dont feel that way..

And it is Swastika in all of its shapes that presents 'power' to me..

Not just the 'Nazi' flag..
(It just has the most striking colors..)

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The small swastika in the Hindu one looks like the Nazi Symbol the most...because usually the Nazi swastika was 'tilted' like that. True, the Nazi's did steal alot of symbols from religions (such as Christianity and Judaism.) Some one obviously drew it and included it in production, because Microsoft programs go through alot of steps and stages before production...obviously not an accident...

Dunno about this one..

The Iron Cross (See avatar) was also stolen, as said above...Nazi's can't make anything for themselves..huh..

-wD

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Is it good, bad or neutral..
(I know that im supposed to say that it is evil..)

But i really dont feel that way..

And it is Swastika in all of its shapes that presents 'power' to me..

Not just the 'Nazi' flag..
(It just has the most striking colors..)

you're suppose to say whatever you think and feel. i dont want a certain response from you other than your own thought heart felt opinion. i was just asking if you felt this symbol of power had a good bad or no connotation to you.

now how about some answers for the questions i've asked you? no tricks, no double speak here.

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Ill say:

Its symbol of absolute power to me, and i get good feeling from it so..

I guess that its 'good' to me..

That is what i think and feel.

Im not just too happy about telling you this, as i can already imagine about half of the members jumping to walls over this..

posted on Dec, 13 2003 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Ill say:

Its symbol of absolute power to me, and i get good feeling from it so..

I guess that its 'good' to me..

That is what i think and feel.

Im not just too happy about telling you this, as i can already imagine about half of the members jumping to walls over this..

well to hell with them. you spoke your mind as is your right and if they dont like they should bite their tongues (and figners) and at least respect your right to say whatever you want.

you think its a good symbol to you. i understand why and i cant say i disagree with you in how you see it. i dont see any power in it so i cant say i share your view but i dont see it as bad so dont thinki'm being negative here. merely because i am not a person who looks for power or looks to power, i simply live my life in a simple way, power complicates things in my opinion but more power to you (pun intended).

NEVER be afraid to say what you feel on here. these people thrive on you not speaking up and voicing yourself. they want you to feel intimidated and threatened by them. when you say nothing or dont say whats on your mind they WIN and you LOSE.

they can disagree all they want but be not afraid to say what you want.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join