It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Build a Fabricator at Home

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by shearder
Well, people, considering this is not new technology - since it has been around in larger formats, why would it suddenly become a way of creating organs etc just because you can make one and use it at home???

Uhh, I never,(said that), or envision people being able to print out replacement organs at home, but eventually they may be able to cook up some Bacon. Those are done with Inkjet. This is far from that sophistication by far. This new device heralds a new era in this technology where the home tinkerer will be able to help drive innovation and costs down for all. The PC had a product like this in the 70s. You had to solder it all together yourself.

There are some huge ones so why is there no concern that THEY can be used to create organs, replicate etc etc etc??

Why would we have concern over that? It would completely eliminate the need for Organ donation lists.

I can think of a lot of really good things this technology can eventually lead to. Among them, of course is the usual getting rid of hunger, disease,etc etc. Another thing it will do is change economics in such a fundamental and simple way. It will turn our Scarcity Based economy into one Based out of Abundance.

I think we should fear more the larger ones than those which use chocolate unless we replicate our members from chocolate so our otherhalf can "eat" us while we are away? hmmmm...

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

[edit on 12-1-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

OMG!!!

A quote from my fav of Films of all time directed by my fav director!!

DUNE - David Lynch

I guess we are much a like Sardion!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   
You liked the film? I didn't like it that much, but then again I saw the Mini-series first so...

Have you see both Mini-series' yet? I saw those first then the movie with Picard in it and then read the books(I'm currently on God Emperor of Dune).

David Lynch? I thought Frank Herbert wrote it originally?

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:38 AM
link   

You liked the film? I didn't like it that much, but then again I saw the Mini-series first so...

Have you see both Mini-series' yet? I saw those first then the movie with Picard in it and then read the books(I'm currently on God Emperor of Dune).

David Lynch? I thought Frank Herbert wrote it originally?

I have seen the first mini-series, which I thought was terrible in the extreme. They replaced good acting with special FX.

The book Dune was originally written in 1965 by Frank Herbert who subsequently wrote a further 5 books then sadly died back in 86.

His son then co wrote the rest of the available books with a chap called Kevin Anderson.

Personally I think the first book was the best in the series and the subsequent film that was Directed by David Lynch was an adaptation from this first book.

The orriginal film had actors like

Francesca Annis .... Lady Jessica
Leonardo Cimino .... The Baron's Doctor
Brad Dourif .... Piter De Vries
José Ferrer .... Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV
Linda Hunt .... Shadout Mapes
Freddie Jones .... Thufir Hawat
Richard Jordan .... Duncan Idaho
Kyle MacLachlan .... Paul Usul Muad'Dib Atreides
Virginia Madsen .... Princess Irulan
Everett McGill .... Stilgar
Kenneth McMillan .... Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Jack Nance .... Captain Iakin Nefud
Siân Phillips .... Reverand Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Angélica Aragón .... Bene Gesserit Sister
Jürgen Prochnow .... Duke Leto Atreides
Paul L. Smith .... The Beast Rabban
Patrick Stewart .... Gurney Halleck
Sting .... Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen
Dean Stockwell .... Dr. Wellington Yueh
Max von Sydow .... Dr. Kynes
Alicia Witt .... Alia (as Alicia Roanne Witt)
Sean Young .... Chani

But..... Oooppse way off topic now.. Sorry....

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 12-1-2007 by Neon Haze]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by shearder
Well, people, considering this is not new technology - since it has been around in larger formats, why would it suddenly become a way of creating organs etc just because you can make one and use it at home???

Uhh, I never,(said that), My appologies sardion or envision people being able to print out replacement organs at home, but eventually they may be able to cook up some Bacon. Those are done with Inkjet. This is far from that sophistication by far. This new device heralds a new era in this technology where the home tinkerer will be able to help drive innovation and costs down for all. The PC had a product like this in the 70s. You had to solder it all together yourself.

There are some huge ones so why is there no concern that THEY can be used to create organs, replicate etc etc etc??

Why would we have concern over that? It would completely eliminate the need for Organ donation lists. I don't know if its a good idea for man to play god cos it tends to get out of hand imo anyways

I can think of a lot of really good things this technology can eventually lead to. I have to agree with you there!!! Among them, of course is the usual getting rid of hunger, disease,etc etc. Another thing it will do is change economics in such a fundamental and simple way. It will turn our Scarcity Based economy into one Based out of Abundance.

I think we should fear more the larger ones than those which use chocolate unless we replicate our members from chocolate so our otherhalf can "eat" us while we are away? hmmmm...

Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Nah, I won't fear either but just get a little concerned of things that can be used in the wrong way by people with "other" agendas.

Hey, it's all good. I am not taking pot shots at anyone

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Neon, Youre British? If you are then you have to know something, I've grown up on "American" style acting so I have a lower standard than the British equivalent.
Reason why I liked th mini series was that it encompased the book much better and the acting does manage to level out in the second one. As for good graphics, I thought the movie had better effects than Dune. Looked like I was watching a stage theater in some scenes

Nah, I won't fear either but just get a little concerned of things that can be used in the wrong way by people with "other" agendas.

It helps to be specific. Personally I hold to the school of thought that eschews most negative forethought unless so blatantly obvious that no one can ignore(ei Radiation, Instant Death, etc). That is I only eschew it until it becomes hindsight and then I poke, prod and analyze it until I'm blue in the face.

x08

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I'm curious.. In what way will this prevent hunger? While it can print out a hamburger, it still needs the product to work with. Unless you enjoy eating silicone hamburgers. And in such a case. If you're hungry, it means you don't have food. Which in turn means you don't have any "ink" to print your hamburger.

No, my idea is much simpler. The cash is an issue, but the speed of the unit is more of an issue at the moment. If it can speed up and still be accurate... then it'll all be good. BTW. It won't make me rich, but it'll be nice for some extra pocket-money.

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by x08
I'm curious.. In what way will this prevent hunger? While it can print out a hamburger, it still needs the product to work with. Unless you enjoy eating silicone hamburgers. And in such a case. If you're hungry, it means you don't have food. Which in turn means you don't have any "ink" to print your hamburger

That is logical given todays level of tech, though not necessarily correct tracking to the future.

The ultimate conclusion to this technology is to be able to reproduce, pretty much anything from a base compound.

Vivid image of Internet distribution presented by a recent television commercial for UPS. One segment in the commercial shows a young boy ordering a football online and, after peering inside expectantly for a few minutes, catching the ball as it literally pops out of the family “fabber.” Courtesy United Parcel Service

Reduction is a key phrase in science and if you were going to reduce the proverbial 'hamburger' down to a more basic component, what you might see is a lot of atoms. Ordered atoms but just atoms none the less.
Atoms from Bits

This technology may one day be able to take an inert material and synthesise pretty much anything you wanted from it.

Though, please bear in mind that at this stage the technology does not exist, and is not likely to exist for quite some time.

However, this consumer level 3D-printer has the potential to be the forerunner of said technology, in the same way as the worlds first working telephone was the forerunner of 3G mobile phones.

Physics genius plans to make 'Star Trek' replicator a reality

My view is that for this to work, we would need more advanced Nano tech, investment in the future is very high risk, a large gamble, but the gains are huge.

On a side note, the term reduction means down to the most fundamental component. As atoms are not the most fundamental component of reality, and as we move closer to a final theory of everything, eventually we will be able to fabricate absolutely anything and everything.

What’s more?? We will be able to create anything, including limitless free energy from nothing other than just space.

All the best people,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 15-1-2007 by Neon Haze]

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
www.timesonline.co.uk...

IS THE writing on the wall for the brickie? Engineers are racing to unveil the world’s first robot capable of building a house at the touch of a button.
The first prototype — a watertight shell of a two-storey house built in 24 hours without a single builder on site — will be erected in California before April.

A rival design, being pioneered in the East Midlands, with £1.2m of government funding, will include sunken baths, fireplaces and cornices. There are even plans for robots to supplant painters and decorators by spraying colourful frescoes at an affordable price.

By building almost an entire house from just two materials — concrete and gypsum — the robots will eliminate the need for dozens of traditional components, including floorboards, wooden window frames and possibly even wallpaper. It may eventually be possible to use specially treated gypsum instead of glass window panes.

The eastern companies worry? .. Now local construction companies can be added to the list...ahh the wonders of corporate greed

[edit on 1/15/2007 by a1ex]

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 02:40 AM
link   
That will only be used for Prefab housing. I highly doubt we'll ever see houses printed on demand in the near future on the job site.

Anyway, how is this connected to Corporate Greed? If they can lower the prices for houses to near commodity levels, then that would shrink their profit margin, not increase it.

[edit on 16-1-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 02:55 AM
link   

That will only be used for Prefab housing. I highly doubt we'll ever see houses printed on demand in the near future on the job site.

Anyway, how is this connected to Corporate Greed? If they can lower the prices for houses to near commodity levels, then that would shrink their profit margin, not increase it.

You're forgetting the 3rd world market.

I can think of plenty of locations around the world that would bennefit from such a technology.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Oh, so can I. I was gonna mention the 3rd world market, but I thought any mention of Prefab homes would be enough. Have you seen the Prefab power station that also doubles as a house? It's basically a reused shipping container with solar panels and wind turbines on it.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I dont think they will lower prices but in the unforseen future they will sell for same price and save even more on less workforce...thus increasing profit

but in a way youre right not happening anytime soon...

[edit on 1/16/2007 by a1ex]

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Before I start on my mini-rant, I wanted to note that Prefabs are already cheaper than traditional housing.

Originally posted by a1ex
I dont think they will lower prices but in the unforseen future they will sell for same price and save even more on less workforce...thus increasing profit
[edit on 1/16/2007 by a1ex]

Ah yes, the age old "but what about all the Whip and Harness makers that will lose their jobs because of this newfangled horseless carriage!". A rather alarmist sentiment IMHO. I also seem to remember the same sentiment being expressed by Authors in the 80s worried that them Electronic Brains will start taking their jobs away as well as in the 90s the same thing was being bandied about but this time by those "analyzing" the IT sector, saying it would automate itself into oblivion.

The incumbents could do this, but it leaves their rear exposed to small start-ups selling them for much lower prices. This type of price fixing only happens when there is a monopoly attempting to control all the entrances and exits in their 'protected' sphere of influence *cough* MP/RIAA/Apple *cough*

Look at the RIAA/MPAA now. This is the future for just about EVERY industry and there is NOTHING Humanity can do to stop it. The technology this thread is about is based on Open Source designs. This can and will be scaled up eventually and there is really no way to stop it from happening. RIAA has been trying to kill the Computer for as long as they've perceived it as a threat. Look it up, they've tried to inact legislation that would have given them the power to grant the right to inventors to innovate. Any moderately knowledgeably student of economics will realize that this is a recipe for disaster.

Instead of making assumptions as to the motives behind inventions we should be asking questions on how this will effect us in the long run.

How will we live when the only thing that's worth a damn is Knowledge, Time, Electricity and Raw Materials?

What happens to us and our society when Fusion and cheap Space Travel enabled by a Space Elevator makes those last two "hard" commodities worthless? How can you base an economy off of Abundance? You can't because the first rule of Economics is that all resources are scarce, no exception.

Dead end for economic theory. A new one is needed.

Feudalism > Mercantilism > Capitalism > ???

The implications are staggering and no one seems to want to acknowledge it's a very real possibility in the next 25-50 years.

(post by jamesadler removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join