It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids kicked off Bus...For Speaking English

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
NEWS LINK

Imagine sending your kids off to school, but when they get to the bus they are told they can't get on because they speak English.

That's right, English.

Apparently this was a 'non-english' speaking school bus.

Amazing.

Edit: Applied ex tags.

[edit on 10-1-2007 by intrepid]

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
They said the route for non-English speaking students.

Do they have non-English speaking classrooms too?

A complete non-English cirriculum?

What do these students do after/if they graduate?

non-English college? non-English jobs in a non-English town?

Why bother coming here you just want to be wherever you came from?

That school should be shut down.

DONT EVER LET THE GOVERNMENT EDUCATE YOUR KIDS!

No good can come of it. Only well formed government minds.
Is that what you want?

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
OK, this a problem with the school district and the county that has to do with the distribution and regulations of how the school district deals with their students, including bilingual if they also happen to provided that service.

The outrage mother in question is out of the boundaries of the school for her children when she moved, in many counties you are responsible as a parent to do the changes needed if you move out of county school jurisdiction.

Here in my neck of the wood we have schools that only transport bilingual students that do not means only Spanish speaking children but also Koreans, Japanese, Pakistanis you name it.

I used to work for the school system in the county next to my and they even have concessions to allowed teachers to have their children in the county where they work as long as they provided the transportation.

The job of the school district is to provide access to schools to everybody be English speaking to any other children that doesn't speak the language.

But the mother in question have a problem with moving out of the school jurisdiction, meaning that her children may fall now on another school district with their own bus route that covers where she lives at.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Well, it did say that school bus was for kids "learning English", so at least they are making attempts to learn it.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The members of this school board should be tied up in the village square and shot.

Yes, I know that sounds drastic, but I'm serious. Not even thinking about the English speaking Americans denied a ride, these people are pigeonholing non-English speaking people into a life devoid of accomplishment. The sooner and younger kids are exposed to a new language, the faster they learn it. And English remains and will remain for the foreseeable future the language of success in America. By accomodating other languages, schools are only harming the childrens' future prospects.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Do we not have a National Recognized Language ??? WOW; is about all I can say to this ... Last time i checked this was a free COUNTRY FREEDOM OF SPEECH ... I can speak JIBBERISH .. if I so choose ...

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by rocknroll
Well, it did say that school bus was for kids "learning English", so at least they are making attempts to learn it.

Seems like a half-assed effort. Since when has immersion been a hinderence to language acquisition? College kids pay big bucks to go to language camps for months at a time or take trips abroad specifically for immersion. Whatever excuse they have is bull. The government schools just get our kids used to accepting bull as gospel.

From now on any question my kids ask that I cant answer Im going to tell them its the governments fault.

"Why cant I go to school where I want?"
"The government doesnt want you to."

"Why do bad things happen to good people?"
"The government says there are no good people honey.
Unless you work for the government."

"Why dont they just get jobs daddy?"
"The government says they dont have to. They get paid to have babies."

"Who pays them daddy?"
"Why, we do honey. Your mom and me and anyone else with a job pays them to have babies. And if we dont, the government puts us in jail."

"That doesnt seem fair!"
"Oh, but the government makes sure everything is fair."

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Seems like a half-assed effort. Since when has immersion been a hinderence to language acquisition? College kids pay big bucks to go to language camps for months at a time or take trips abroad specifically for immersion. Whatever excuse they have is bull. The government schools just get our kids used to accepting bull as gospel.

From now on any question my kids ask that I cant answer Im going to tell them its the governments fault.

"Why cant I go to school where I want?"
"The government doesnt want you to."

"Why do bad things happen to good people?"
"The government says there are no good people honey.
Unless you work for the government."

"Why dont they just get jobs daddy?"
"The government says they dont have to. They get paid to have babies."

"Who pays them daddy?"
"Why, we do honey. Your mom and me and anyone else with a job pays them to have babies. And if we dont, the government puts us in jail."

"That doesnt seem fair!"
"Oh, but the government makes sure everything is fair."

APPOLOGIES FOR THE RANT .... but ROCK ON BROTHER

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Oh this ticks me off.

What if kids were kicked off the bus for speaking spanish to each other? LAW SUIT!

When immigrants LEGALLY come here they are required to learn basic English. There is no reason for a school bus where English isn't allowed.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   

So what happens when they learn English though?
They have to start walking?

It's kind of silly, I also imagine that not having an official language in the United States is part of a nationwide problem.
English should be the official language, or, in about 20 years it can be Spanish.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It gets even better here in South Australia if your going to university and you come from a non-english speaking country you are given more time to complete exams than someone born here, even if you speak and read english perfectly.
Steam is coming from my ears just thinking about it.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I am amazed how this issue and the thread is taken out of proportion.

Actually it has nothing to do with speaking English or not.

It has to do with misinformation from the part of School and the mother for no notifying her change of address and not falling anymore in the jurisdiction of the school her children attended.

the district points out, that particular bus route serves one of three language academies. The one at Phalen Lake is for Hmong students learning English.

The bus happen to go through her new address because it seems that the children of perhaps both counties that are bilingual are to take that particular bus to get to special classes hold in one of the counties.

The district also discovered the Armstrongs no longer live in the Phalen Lake School boundary because they moved last year.

So even though the district apologized, if they want to still go to Phalen, they are going to have to get their own ride.

At least the school district is nice enough to allow her children to still go to he same school even if she has moved out of the jurisdiction.

It has nothing to do with her children not been able to speak English and it has to do with taking the wrong bush to attend the wrong school.

Get a grip people.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 12:54 AM
link   
YEAH ! some one finally go it

You have voted marg6043 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

my faith in ATS is restored

i hope this story gets the attention it deserves

as a warning to make sure you put your kids on the correct bus

if you move , and do not tell the school , it is pretty stupid to expect that the bus that turns up at your new house will be the correct one ... esp as you now live in a different school district

its the kids i feel sorry for .... having such fooking stoopid parents

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

It has nothing to do with her children not been able to speak English and it has to do with taking the wrong bush to attend the wrong school.

Get a grip people.

Yes you are correct regarding this particular story, though in this country (Australia) people of non english speaking backgrounds do receive special treatment/preference through our education system.

Heres an example, An australian born resident gets one hour to sit for an exam and scores 80/100.

An oversea's student of non english speaking background gets an hour and a half to sit the same exam even if they speak/read/understand english perfectly and score 90/100.

After both students have finished their schooling and prepare to join the work force they both apply for the same job. The student from a non english speaking background gets the job due to his/her higher grades.

Where does equal opportunity for all start and reverse discrimination begin. Yes immigrants do need a hand up when starting a new life in another country but not at the expense of the rest of the community.

Sorry if ive wandered off topic but the op's original story does raise other issues even if it has more to do with the parents screwing up than any discrimination on the county's behalf.

It definately is an issue here in Aust even if its not in the US.

Oh and btw Marg the image of children riding the wrong bush will haunt me for ever.

[edit on 11/1/07 by mojo4sale]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Its the mothers mistake. More then likely the school bus driver was stopping there to pick up the old students who moved out and these people moved in. Thinking they were the Hmong speaking students.

Non-event and no foreign language immigrant takeover of america conspiracy here.

posted on Jan, 16 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I don't believe this! I think that bus driver should be fired.

top topics

join