It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pillars in Space Topple.........

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 08:49 AM
link   
The Super cool "Space Pillars" that were photographed dome time ago and brought about amazement from the population may be toppled. According to some scientist who have analyzed satellite and other pictures, they may be done. These Pillars are the coolest looking things to be published and photographed in Space in a long, long time. Is it true are they gone? Read on! Theories as to why?

news.yahoo.com
SEATTLE - They helped open the public's eyes to the wonders of space when they were first photographed in 1995, but a new study suggests the famous Pillars of Creation in the Eagle Nebula might have already been toppled long ago, and that what the Hubble Space Telescope actually captured was their ghost image.

A new picture of the Eagle Nebula shot by NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope, presented here at the 209th meeting of the American Astronomical Society, show the intact pillars next to a giant cloud of glowing dust scorched by the heat of a massive stellar explosion known as a supernova [image].

"The pillars have already been destroyed by the shockwave," said study leader Nicolas Flagey of The Institut d'Astrophysique Spatiale in France.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Absolutely amazing structures like these are a shame to have gone. Whether or not they are truly gone is of course up for debate, however there seems to be a varying degree of validity to that claim by science. I think this is very interesting and would like to hear what others opinions are on this. Does anyone know of any other information on this subject that is of significant relevance?

Related News Links:
hubblesite.org
hubblesite.org
www.skyimagelab.com
www.space.com

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
thank you for your reply and the insight

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Actually I read the article about this and I think it said that they had toppled and reformed several times.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I just felt the need to add a nice pic to the thread.

It really brings home a perception of time when you think about the fact that what we're seeing now is something that may have disappeared so long ago.

We live in such a vast Universe, and I'm sure it'll keep me entertained for billions of years.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Man i just had a look at some of the pictures on that site. Aint looked at pics like that for a while. It makes you think doesnt it? How grateful we should all be to have lived and been part of something so spectacular as our universe its utterly amazing. How petty it seems then that as miniscule as we are compared to the rest of whats out there we still go to war and fight over small bits of land kinda crazy dont you think.

If there is a god then what a man he is for creating this wonderful place i sure will be giving him the high 5 on the way in the pearly gates

new topics

top topics

join