It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some diamonds are forever, and others are OUT OF THIS WORLD!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   

www.physorg.com...
Infrared synchrotron radiation at Brookhaven National Laboratory was used to discover the diamonds' source.

"Trace elements critical to an 'ET' origin are nitrogen and hydrogen," said Haggerty. The presence of hydrogen in the carbonado diamonds indicates an origin in a hydrogen-rich interstellar space, he and colleagues believe.

/snip

"Conventional diamonds are mined from explosive volcanic rocks [kimberlites] that transport them from depths in excess of 100 kilometers to the Earth's surface in a very short amount of time," said Sonia Esperanca, program director in the National Science Foundation's Division of Earth Sciences, which funded the research. "This process preserves the unique crystal structure that makes diamonds the hardest natural material known."

Very interesting Theory. I guess the only way to confirm it is to go out there and start some Interstellar Diamond mining expeditions.

I found this statement really interesting as well.

Approximately 600 tons of conventional diamonds have been mined, traded, polished and adorned since 1900. "But not a single black/carbonado diamond has been discovered in the world's mining fields," Haggerty said.

[edit on 9-1-2007 by sardion2000]

[edit on 10-1-2007 by sardion2000]

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 10:37 PM
link   
That is interesting.
This statement from the article seems pretty wild too.

The new data support earlier research by Haggerty showing that carbonado diamonds formed in stellar supernovae explosions. Black diamonds were once the size of asteroids, a kilometer or more in diameter when they first landed on Earth.

And they are only found in two regions , Brazil and the Central African Republic.
I guess they are mostly used for industry, but there are a few jewelers that have tried to cut them, and promote them.
One selling point:
Some diamonds are forever, and others are OUT OF THIS WORLD!

Very cool story, thanks for the info

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Hey thanks for that. I'm gonna change the title of this thread to that if you don't mind.

I wonder how much damage a pure black diamond asteroid would do to earth? I wonder how many of them are still out there?

I believe that artificial black diamonds have already been created, it'll be interesting to see how they stack up against each other(anyone with experience in the issue out there?)

[edit on 10-1-2007 by sardion2000]

join