It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beached Dolphins and Whales; Related to Bird Deaths?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
With all the focus on the strange and mysterious bird deaths being reported around the world, I wondered if there was other strange occurences happening with our animals and decided to check out the sealife. Initial results show that:

Scientists baffled by U.S. stranding of dolphins

Eight Atlantic White-sided dolphins were found on Tuesday, following 23 dolphins, a pilot whale and a seal discovered since January 1 in the hook-shaped Cape Cod region and its maze of sandbars and marshes that are a magnet for tourists in summer.

The number is unusually high, according to the Cape Cod Stranding Network that oversees rescue efforts. It typically averages 200 rescues a year, compared to 31 rescues performed in the last 10 days alone.

Is it possible that whatever is affecting the birds, could also be affecting our sealife and the very sensitive dolphins and whales? Would it rule out an airborne/gas cause? Could it be more suggestive of a geomagnetic/energy field cause either natural or manmade. I think it would be interesting to document any stories regarding stranded and sick sealife that may pop up in the coming weeks.

Upon further searching, it seems a few incidents of beached whales started showing up around mid December 06...
Beached giant whale sent on its way in Vietnam

Whales Beached (Spain)

Whale dead after all (Malayasia)

Watchers powerless to save beached whales(New Zealand)

[edit on 1-9-2007 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I've just read another one. So, they have a connection.

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Whale carcass found in Hood Canal, cause of death unknown

The Associated Press

QUILCENE — A dead gray whale was found in Hood Canal opposite the Navy submarine base at Bangor, and there was no immediate indication of the cause of death, researchers said.

Area residents spotted the carcass Saturday on the east side of Toandos Peninsula, and a necropsy led by John Calambokidis, a biologist with Cascade Research Collectives, was conducted Monday.

"We couldn't find any major external injuries that would suggest a cause of death," Calambokidis told the Kitsap Sun newspaper.

Tissue samples were taken to test for toxic chemicals and disease processes but may yield little information because the whale had been dead for at least a week and a half, he said.

The whale, seen alive near Seabeck in about mid-December and later spotted near the Alderbrook Inn at the south end of the fjord, may have been sick when it entered Hood Canal about the middle of December, Calambokidis said. The first report that it had died was received Dec. 31, but the carcass was not spotted again until Saturday.

"The fact that it came that far down and stayed in Hood Canal suggests there was something wrong with the animal," he said.

Gray whale deaths in Puget Sound and the associated inland marine waters occur mostly from March through June but also on occasion in December, when the whales migrate south along the coast from their feeding grounds in the Arctic.

[edit on 9-1-2007 by Dark Crystalline]

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
How would a geomagnetic storm or changes in the field affect animals? Would it be instant, would it take days or weeks? Could the solar storm cause a delayed reaction from the earth?

We know there was geomagnetic storm right around mid December, is it possible that this is the cause for the all the wierdness happening right now? The mystery bird deaths seems to have started to occur right around the same time, perhaps some species are more vulnerable or sensitive than others??
NOAA SEC Space Weather Advisory Bulletin #06-5: Geomagnetic Storm in Progress
STATUS REPORT
Date Released: Thursday, December 14, 2006

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Animals including both some whales and birds are thought to be able to detect magnetic fields to navigate, so I think it's possible magnetic anomalies could confuse both. I can't think of anything else that would affect such animals without affecting us.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Do dolphins use echolocation? I'm thinking that if these were beached close to where military excersizes were taking place, it could be another Sonar incident.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
It is the tectonic plate shift. The earth is releasing some weird stuff and it has to be rising up slowly from Australia to New York. With several gases being released this has to be the answer. This is very interesting I have to see where this is going, I hope it doesn't manifest itself on humans. And if it is some Government project doesn't this mean that everyone behind the scenes is involved in every part of the world? If those people are that evil may they burn forever....

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
With all the focus on the strange and mysterious bird deaths being reported around the world, I wondered if there was other strange occurences happening with our animals and decided to check out the sealife. Initial results show that:

Scientists baffled by U.S. stranding of dolphins

Eight Atlantic White-sided dolphins were found on Tuesday, following 23 dolphins, a pilot whale and a seal discovered since January 1 in the hook-shaped Cape Cod region and its maze of sandbars and marshes that are a magnet for tourists in summer.

The number is unusually high, according to the Cape Cod Stranding Network that oversees rescue efforts. It typically averages 200 rescues a year, compared to 31 rescues performed in the last 10 days alone.

Is it possible that whatever is affecting the birds, could also be affecting our sealife and the very sensitive dolphins and whales? Would it rule out an airborne/gas cause? Could it be more suggestive of a geomagnetic/energy field cause either natural or manmade. I think it would be interesting to document any stories regarding stranded and sick sealife that may pop up in the coming weeks.

Upon further searching, it seems a few incidents of beached whales started showing up around mid December 06...
Beached giant whale sent on its way in Vietnam

Whales Beached (Spain)

Whale dead after all (Malayasia)

Watchers powerless to save beached whales(New Zealand)

[edit on 1-9-2007 by worldwatcher]

You've brought up some excellent correlations here and we definitely need to be looking at not only the birds but also the dolphins and whales because both are very affected by geomagnetic changes either solar or earth based. From the looks of it, we are going to see more and more news reports of sea mammal beachings and birds fatalities in the days ahead. I think we are seeing the very beginnings of some extraordinary earthchanges where perhaps we've even reached a tipping point on some level but it's too soon to tell which.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Yes, I would believe it is. I believe our Earths Magnetic field is slowing down.. and will soon reverse.. and because it is weak the birds and sea life (Actually, scientist believe we may be the only species to not feel the magnetic field) cannot navigate, or migrate.. or migrate to the wrong area.. get lost and starve.. who knows.. its really sad

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 10:54 PM
link   
hisz.rsoe.hu...

May interest you... another mass animal death... this one in Australia.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
thanks for the links, any new finds are welcomed

I've run across a few stories of large amounts of small fishes washing ashore, but the blame seems to be on commercial fishing, suggesting nets broke, or they were dumped from a boat, but I'm a little wary of those explanations due to the timing and what has been going on.

Small fish wash ashore; source, cause unknown

Several hundred small fish washed up dead on the beach between Lovers Point and Esplanade Park on Monday morning, state Department of Fish and Game officials confirmed.

The officials said it was unclear how the fish, likely sardines, ended up on shore, but it was possible that they were thrown from a fishing boat. Throwing dead fish off a boat would be violation of state law, according to associated marine biologist Travis Tanaka.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I ran across another oddity that may or may not be so odd, but it's odd to me.

Playful Whales Sink Yacht
'A big male humpback whale, a big bull, just nosed up to the boat, and we stood there and looked at each other for about 30 seconds, and then he just sunk and swam under the boat,' Wright said.

'He made a hole about a metre square in the bow of the boat. There were six of them, they all just played around the boat for about 10 minutes.'

and

Ukrainian drunk escapes dolphin gang drowning attempt
Ukrainian emergency workers saved a drunken swimmer in the Black Sea from an attack by a pod of killer dolphins who were trying to drown him.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
ahhh hahahaha.

Killer dolphins???? OMG LMAO!!

Tried to murder a drunken swimmer in the black sea?... lol.
Man. That made my day. Truly the animals of the world are out to get us... have dolphins ever actually killed anyone??

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
dude I have no idea, but it was wierd enough to catch my attention.

and the whale sinking the guy's boat too....

hmmm....revenge???

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
ahhh hahahaha.

Killer dolphins???? OMG LMAO!!

I don't think that is so far out (especially when compared to this site's normal fare
).

First, Orca (the misnamed "killer whales") are in fact dolphins and are superior predators, even when compared to the great white shark. I know killer whales (again a type of dolphin) have been known to drown trainers in captivity, although I'm not sure if this has ever been recorded in the wild. But it's not that far of a stretch to think a pod of killer whales or even dolphins might be able to drown someone in the open sea.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Have not whales and dolphins been beaching themselves for hundreds of years though? It's not a sudden happening by any means. I don't think scientists know why whales and dolphins beach themselves, but there are plenty of theories...

www.answers.com...

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Just a thought, but I'm wondering if it has to do with global warming. Documents have been released saying that 2006 was the warmest year since 112 years ago. Maybe it has to do something with that.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
that's true and one of the theories for the cause of the stranding from the link you provided above happens to be the most logical theory in my opinion to explain all the "coincidental" incidents occurring.

www.answers.com...
A controversial theory, researched by Jim Berkland, a former geologist with the U.S. Geological Survey, attributes the strange behavior to radical changes in the Earth's magnetic field just prior to earthquakes and in the general area of earthquakes. Berkland says when this occurs, it interferes with sea mammals' and even migratory birds' ability to navigate, which explains the mass beachings. He says even dogs and cats can sense the disruptions, which explains elevated rates of runaway pets in local newspapers a day or two prior to earthquakes. Research on Earth's magnetic field and how it is affected by moving tectonic plates and earthquakes is ongoing.

I feel that changes in the magnetic field could be the contributing factor to the "wierdness" we all perceive. Scientists are warning of a crazy solar cycle during which we may come under barrage of magnetic pulses and such...so this could just be the start of it and it may be mistaken for global warming.... anyways I'm rambling on a hungry tummy...I haven't fully considered all factors, but I know I'm not the only one who thinks that geomagnetic forces plays a bigger role in our daily lives than most consider.

Scientists Predict Big Solar Cycle
Hathaway and Wilson looked at records of geomagnetic activity stretching back almost 150 years and noticed something useful:. "The amount of geomagnetic activity now tells us what the solar cycle is going to be like 6 to 8 years in the future," says Hathaway.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
It might be the beginnings of a magnetic pole reversal.

I thought this was an interesting read:

www.pureenergysystems.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
iiiiiiiinteresting

*warning: ludicrous theory with no factual basis is about to be stated*

perhaps there is a link between biological life and the earth's magnetic field. perhaps every living creature needs to use a set amount of this magnetic field. Perhaps humans use more of it due to our overall heightened consciousness and brain power, and the exponential increase of humans is causing it to diminish?

but that's just crazy talk

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Most creatures operate by some sort of earth magnetism. Humans do not. Birds, whales and dolphins have especially strong connections to the magnetic field. Watch the local animals in your area, I'll bet they will know when something happens before we do.

IMO, all this activity is due to changes in the earth's magnetic field. There are LOTS of volcanoses erupting today and the Ring of Fire has had alot of quakes all up and down, from Fiji to Alaska.

On a side note, dolphins can get very aggressive. It's not a generally known fact I guess, but I saw something on Discovery (or some such channel) that told all about dolphin attacks and there sometimes aggressive nature. I would imagine that if they felt changes in magnetic field, they may well become confused, scared and hence aggressive.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join