It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iphone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
just announced at macworld.
en.wikipedia.org...

img408.imageshack.us...

iPhone is a device announced by Apple Computer during the Macworld conference on 9 January 2007.[1] The device's principal function is that of a quad band GSM and EDGE cell phone. In addition, the touchscreen device also includes functionality found in the iPod series of music players, and runs a version of the Mac OS X operating system. It will come equipped with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

ive been wanting to purchase a new phone for a long time but i was holding off to see if the iphone rumors were true. i cant wait to buy one its looks awesome!

[edit on 9-1-2007 by elitegamer23]

[edit on 9-1-2007 by elitegamer23]

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Saw this on the front page of yahoo in the UK this evening and can not wait.

Seems it is going to be released in the US first as all the carriers mentioned were US and not UK/Europe

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
im not quite sure, but im under the impression its going to be for cingular customers only. if this is true its seems like a bad move for apple. maybe it was their only way to truly have a chance of gettin into the cell phone market. i wonder how much they had to pay for the rights to "iphone" i think someone else owned that name .

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Check out my podcast covering this.

As for why Cingular. They're GSM. As is most of Europe and Asia. They're the 2nd biggest carrier here in the states. For Apple to unveil this worldwide they needed a GSM carrier. Cingular is the biggest GSM carrier in the states. It was a no brainer. Also, they've already worked with Cingular in the past, remember the Rokr?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Verizon deal down the line, but not until the exclusive agreement with Cingular wares off.

-The Big O

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I just came across this article.

Top 5 Worst Things About The iPhone

1) Cingular. They're North America's largest cellular network, so it makes sense for Apple to deal with them. But it would have been far better if Apple had taken on the carriers' chokehold on handset provisioning wholesale, and simply sold unlocked phones.

2) 8GB Flash drive. For many, it will be more than enough, but the iPhone won't kill the iPod until drive sizes start matching the needs of MP3-era music libraries. My fear is that Apple will stick to its guns and stick with Flash media as it grows to 16GB and beyond, but a second-gen iPhone with magnetic storage is an obvious upgrade path.

3) Built-in battery. Apple's bothersome tradition of non-user-servicable batteries continues. There's no reason to do this, frankly, aside from the kind of implied "we're aesthetic obsessives" claim that Apple still gets away with.

4) No 3G. Fast internet is the horse, 3G is one hind leg.

5) With all those features, a QWERTY keyboard stashed within (somehow) would be the perfect way to turn this little beast into Apple's answer to the UMPC: a cheap, fully-featured computing device in addition to a phone and music player. Even a clamshell...

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Wow this phone looks awesome! the deal with Cingular is a great idea, however, in my area Cingular is not very good service. But hopefully that contract is not for too long and another carrier will offer these phones

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Discusssion here as well...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9-1-2007 by TheDesigner]

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Top 5 Worst Things About The iPhone

1) Cingular. They're North America's largest cellular network, so it makes sense for Apple to deal with them. But it would have been far better if Apple had taken on the carriers' chokehold on handset provisioning wholesale, and simply sold unlocked phones.

How would they sell them? In Mac stores? Cellular stores wouldn't carry unlocked phones, at least the center I worked at for a few weeks last summer didn't do that.

2) 8GB Flash drive. For many, it will be more than enough, but the iPhone won't kill the iPod until drive sizes start matching the needs of MP3-era music libraries. My fear is that Apple will stick to its guns and stick with Flash media as it grows to 16GB and beyond, but a second-gen iPhone with magnetic storage is an obvious upgrade path.

Magnetic storage = Possible skipping. 8 GB is more than enough. Add in a flash expansion slot and consumers will be able to upgrade it.

3) Built-in battery. Apple's bothersome tradition of non-user-servicable batteries continues. There's no reason to do this, frankly, aside from the kind of implied "we're aesthetic obsessives" claim that Apple still gets away with.

I completely agree. This is my only gripe with Apples iAnything line.

4) No 3G. Fast internet is the horse, 3G is one hind leg.

3G isn't ready to roll out on a large scale. Backbone vendors need to spend more time upgrading their routers and buying up more dark fiber(whatever is left after Googles Fiber binge that is)

5) With all those features, a QWERTY keyboard stashed within (somehow) would be the perfect way to turn this little beast into Apple's answer to the UMPC: a cheap, fully-featured computing device in addition to a phone and music player. Even a clamshell...

Am I the only one who thinks that added in QWERTY keyboards onto small devices will annoy the hell out of North Americans who generally have larger hands?

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
in related news:

the 6th generation ipod...

x08

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The Nokia N95 owns that!

5 MP Camera,
3.5G,
Wireless,
GPS,
and of course, all of your standard phone features.

Sure, only 160MB of memory, but hey! That's what SD cards are for

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I figured Apple would make an Iphone, which IMO is a tacky
name.

I personally won't be buying one, just as I have not bought
an iPod, I have no wanting or reason to buy an iPhone.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I think the iphone will ibomb.

Apple should of listened to what its own fanboys were saying they wanted the most...and that was a true video ipod...meaning a good looking widescreen ipod with loads of storage.

It looks pretty good...but its a bit chunky for a phone...

This is toted as a all-in-one.....yet the 600 dollar version only comes with 8 gigs.
How much of that is used up by apple related stuff...like OSX? and most people have more then 8 GB's of music. It can play videos...but again, with that relatively small storage capacity you not gonna have a whole lot on it.

But I think the biggest turndown is the $600 price tag...and the price of the 2 year contract...this phone looks a little to......shiny...phones are probably the most abused piece of electronics out there, and I'm sure this thing would survive a few feet fall onto concrete. And after a year the screen will probably be unreadable.

And to top it all off, this wont be available until June, giving other phone makers a chance to capitalize.

BTW, Cisco is sueing Apple over the name "iphone", since it has had it trademarked for some time, and even has a skype phone out with the iphone name on it.

new topics

top topics

join