It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

paradox concerning heaven?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Note: This is directed towards Christianity. I'm not totally familiar with other religions stance on the afterlife. but I'm sure it could tie in with or have relevance with other religions beliefs.

This idea was first proposed to myself while watching the documentary called "The God Who Wasn't There", during an interview with the author Richard Carrier.

During the interview with Richard Carrier the hypothetical situation was proposed that if your dead and you find yourself in heaven, what would happen if your wife and children went to hell instead of heaven? let alone being separated from your family, KNOWING that millions and millions, even billions of people are suffering terrible torments in hell, whether being from the popularly depicted real physical torment, or a physiological torment being separated from gods love.. or just having to suck Satans big greasy cock each and every day. And what can you do about it in heaven? nothing! Regardless of what it is, most Christian denominations will agree that hell is a place of torment.. You would never be able to see some of your loved ones again, and be depressed with the harsh relativity that they are in so much discomfort. In a sense.. wouldn't that be a kind of hell, or at its least.. it wouldn't be a place of "complete bliss", as what it is commonly described as. (i also acknowledge that some Christians believe that individuals are only in hell for 7 years? or till the "end of time" or whatever, but many believe its eternity.)

Just remember this is a hypothetical scenario assuming heaven is real.

Looking forward to seeing the views and opinions of members and see what they have to think, as i am very interested in other insight.
Cheeser.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Other strange things arise when you think of what happens if your wife dies at 35 and you remarry and both you and your new wife die in your 80's. Who do you go to heaven with? If both then what age will you and both your wives be?

What if it was the other way - Your wife and children leave you and never speak to you again (but you still love them). Your wife remarries so are you together in heaven when its all over

What if your wife is an atheist and all your children grow up to be atheists??

In a nutshell, what if who you loved in life didnt love you in heaven, would you be there hanging around like a bad smell or as the OP says what if they were in hell????

G

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Once in heaven we will be overwhelmed by God's love. We will have a greater understanding of things and want in accord to His decisions. We will understand enough to not feel conflicted about these scenarios. Also, there is no marriage union in heaven. These bonds will not exist there.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
NowAmFound i also agree with your post.

Originally posted by cheeser
During the interview with Richard Carrier the hypothetical situation was proposed that if your dead and you find yourself in heaven, what would happen if your wife and children went to hell instead of heaven? let alone being separated from your family

Luke 16
19"There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
22"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23In hell,[c] where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

25"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

27"He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, 28for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'

29"Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'

30" 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'

31"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.' "

Its meaning is you have one life on this planet,be sure to get it right,Gods love in heaven will be absolute bliss,not just love as we know it here,your given a life and opportunities its up to us what we choose when decisions are made.

The best place to start. John 3:16 then be concerned about others,family or otherwise.

or just having to .............*SNIP*................. each and every day.

This wasn`t necessary,do you realize that youngsters frequent ATS?

I hope this is edited.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by cheeser
if your dead and you find yourself in heaven, what would happen if your wife and children went to hell instead of heaven? let alone being separated from your family, KNOWING that millions and millions, even billions of people are suffering terrible torments in hell, whether being from the popularly depicted real physical torment, or a physiological torment being separated from gods love.. or just having to suck Satans big greasy toenail each and every day. And what can you do about it in heaven? nothing! Regardless of what it is, most Christian denominations will agree that hell is a place of torment.. You would never be able to see some of your loved ones again, and be depressed with the harsh relativity that they are in so much discomfort. In a sense.. wouldn't that be a kind of hell, or at its least.. it wouldn't be a place of "complete bliss", as what it is commonly described as. (i also acknowledge that some Christians believe that individuals are only in hell for 7 years? or till the "end of time" or whatever, but many believe its eternity.)

As an old Christian who just uses that title so you can relate to what Jesus really is, IMO heaven is not a classical place where the good people go and the bad peopel burn forever. I would like to debate this, but I fear that either I will die or God will do some countermeasure to prevent it before I could convince anyone of why I feel this is true. Either way, our lives continue.

My opinon is that Heaven is not a place of pampering and seperation from the wickendness of the world. I believe this realm is a spiritual place, but it is not some haven from things a Christian dislikes. God demands of Christians that we love our neighbors. He demands that we find a common ground with people and beliefs we do not agree with. Love is holding one in esteem without a grudge. In essence, to find no fault, or to believe that whatever someone thinks is a part of God.

So, heaven is not a place we go and are seperated from the heathen, but a place we go that exalts us and God. Only those who find true love can be in Heaven, and then cast it upon the earth in the form of the New Earth.

Of course to many this is a fairy tail, but they can't explain why I shouldn't believe in it.

top topics

join