It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outcome Of Nutrition Research Tied To Corporate Money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Research on drinks such as, juice, milk, and soft drinks was four to eight times more likely to show favorable health results if it was sponsored by the food industry. This as opposed to research done with no corporate financing. This suggests that nutrition research is tainted by special interest. This also shows the potential problem with ethics in the scientific community. Such as studies of blockbuster painkillers that ignored findings that would have made the product look bad. The conflict of interest with medicines will effect those who take the medicines. Conflict of interest with the food industry will effect everyone, as we all eat.

www.boston.com
Scientific research on soft drinks, juices, and milk was four to eight times more likely to yield health results favorable to companies if it was sponsored by the food industry than research with no corporate ties, a study released last night found. The report suggests that nutrition research, like drug research, may be tainted by special-interest dollars.

Scientists from Children's Hospital Boston evaluated 111 beverage studies published between Jan. 1, 1999, and Dec. 31, 2003, and found that industry paid for some or all of a majority of the research, a finding that surprised even Dr. David Ludwig, a veteran nutrition researcher who presided over the Children's study. The Boston scientists, whose findings appear in the online journal PLoS Medicine, emphasized that they're not accusing individual researchers of scientific skulduggery, but also acknowledged that they don't have a definitive explanation for their results.

The ethics of scientific research has been a hot topic in classrooms and laboratories during the past few years, stoked by revelations that some studies of blockbuster painkillers ignored findings that would have made the medication look bad. And previous scientific reviews have shown that drug studies supported by pharmaceutical companies are more prone to side with industry than studies sponsored by government or universities.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Any one who has looked into the large food and drink industry will not be surprised by this. The food industry has been accused of making their processed foods so it actually makes you want to eat more. To argue the ethics of the industry to me seems almost futile. As I see it there are almost no ethics in the food and drug industry. The report I think got it right when it said we all must eat. Many of us wont get by too long without the drugs the doctor who gets his information from the drug companies says we must take. So it becomes a balancing act to keep us thralls with just enough money to feed our selves and take the drugs we must to stay alive. Unless you're in the inner circle.

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
www.usatoday.com
today.Reuters.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk

[edit on 9-1-2007 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Good find RedGolem. Thanks.

Of course, it's no surprise.

The report suggests that nutrition research, like drug research, may be tainted by special-interest dollars.

...previous scientific reviews have shown that drug studies supported by pharmaceutical companies are more prone to side with industry than studies sponsored by government or universities.

:sigh:

The more things stay the same.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Wow thanks for the complement !!

Yes it seems things never change. No matter what the almighty form of currency will always have the last word. And those in control are being devious and underhanded to get what ever few pennies those of us have. However on the other side there have been some cases of the government forcing the corporations to pay for the problems they have created. Just commenting because there might be a glimmer of light out there.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Found this today:

On Nutritious Drink Studies, Consider the Funding Source

Slightly different, and interesting.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Nothing new in the west.

lovely how cleptocrats are trying their best to get everything into their greedy clutches and then proceed to ruin it. if people continue their mindless worship of authority (including science) this civilisation will fall hard on its nose, it's only a matter of time.

people tend to forget that stupidity actually carries the death penalty.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance

people tend to forget that stupidity actually carries the death penalty.

Long,
That is a very good statment.
I might want to use it some time.

posted on Jan, 14 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
"Milk does a body good," is one of the biggest propaganda campaigns of our time! In truth, milk just like another "big pretender," fluoride, is bad for you. Check it out yourself.

Click here: PCRM--Health--Milk: No Longer Recommended or Required
www.pcrm.org...

Sadly, many who read these reports will completely refuse to believe any part of them, or even be curious and investigate further. I know from experience how hard it is to shake off the fuzzy reality that been created for us and think for yourself. But I feel this sort of passive compliance is cowardly, even lazy.

My own Husband is a perfect example. He doesn't believe anything outside the mainstream "official version." He's not an ignorant person by any means, but his narrow mindlessness is a constant source of aggravation in our marriage. Although I used to be just like him, now I just don't understand how he and most other people can refuse to see the truth when it's "hiding" in plain sight!.

" Open your mind and your eyes will follow."

Click here: PCRM--Health--Milk: No Longer Recommended or Required
www.pcrm.org...

top topics

join