It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can Illegals mow my lawn but they can't clean my teeth?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I'm just wondering why illegals have free range at any job making 13 dollars or less, i.e. construction, food service business, etc. But they could never hold a job in the US as a Dentist, Doctor, Nurse, Lawyer, Accountant, Police Officer etc.

If people are really for illegal immigration, why not let illegals run for Mayor or Chief of Police.

It is unfortunate how the wealthy of this country have complete control and only allow illegals to compete against the lower class for jobs.

How does the US keep illegals from taking good jobs while encouraging them to come and take poor jobs?

And for the PC Police, the question is, why are there safety nets or glass ceilings for illegal immigrants. Why are they kept back by certain positions such as law enforcement, government positions, legal positions, unions, etc?

[edit on 9-1-2007 by Low Orbit]

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 12:47 AM
link   
its kind of a "don't ask, don't tell" policy

the problem has gotten so big that its easier just to keep illegals out of view of the public.
Jobs such as yardwork and construction are jobs that anyone with any influence (wealthy people, for the most part) would never want to take, so they don't worry about them.

If an illegal immigrant ran for any office, people would begin to feel threatened and action would probably be taken against them.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit
I'm just wondering why illegals have free range at any job making 13 dollars or less, i.e. construction, food service business, etc. But they could never hold a job in the US as a Dentist, Doctor, Nurse, Lawyer, Accountant, Police Officer etc.

I think a big part of the problem is that it's so hard to get an education when you can't legally apply for any assistance, even if you can acquire sufficient fraudulent documents to be accepted into a public college. By the time somebody has managed to put themselves up for a position like that, they'd probably have managed to obtain citizenship either by amnesty or otherwise.

You also have to consider that people who are already qualified for such positions don't usually have to sneak in. You can always grease the wheels a bit if you're already successful. The people who have it worst in Mexico (laborers) obviously are the ones with the most incentive to leave that country.

Fact of the matter is, 13 dollars an hour is a big deal to a working class guy. Construction can pay as much as $30 an hour for a journeyman who joins a union, and it's fairly amazing that Mexicans have gained a hold in the industry so quickly. African Americans in certain times and places have had a great deal of trouble getting into the unions, but the "border brothers" as the union guys call immigrants they recruit, have come up pretty quick in that regard. So although we still have social inequalities to address and underlying flawed policies to fix, I hardly feel like there is a conspiracy only to let in the ones that threaten my job- or like they've had it as bad as it has been for other groups- that just happens to be where the dice fall.

Matter of fact, and I'm a hard guy to upset when it comes to this kind of thing, my little brother, an apprentice carpenter, went to a jobsite a few weeks back (repeatedly) and kept getting the run around... finally one of the journeymen at the site just leveled with him, "The boss ain't gonna hire you. He's only got one white guy and he doesn't need anymore."

And for the PC Police, the question is, why are there safety nets or glass ceilings for illegal immigrants. Why are they kept back by certain positions such as law enforcement, government positions, legal positions, unions, etc?

Because not only is nobody morally or legally obligated to hire them, but really you're not supposed to if they don't have documents. The union will take them, but they'd better get documents from somewhere- where, I don't think the union cares- because their guys can't be paid under the table without screwing the union out of its suplimental dues, etc.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   
If people are coming into the US illegally, they are uneducated and looking for manual labor such as lawn care, construction and painting. You also need a license and permits and cash to bribe local politicians and host of other resources to start a professional business in the US.

And it is not as if these illegal immigrants are stupid. They know what they are doing when they come to the US illegally, so please don't poke fun at them because they don't want to run for president or don't want to become consulting engineers.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I wasn't making fun of anyone, and I am sure they will be engineers when we let them, I still believe there is some sort of government check and balance system to keep them from taking "the good jobs."

If our country will let them do a job they will do it.

Each of the so called good jobs seem to have checks and balances built into it such as Associations that you have to register with, it is very similar to a union without calling it a union, because they are white collar and loathe the concept. If these checks and balances weren't there then illegal immigration could truly be free and all jobs would be up for grabs. I would love to see an illegal compete for a judgeship. Why not?

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
There are immigrants coming across the border to perform jobs that require skill or education. People hem and haw a lot about illegal aliens coming across the border to clean toilets and pick fruit, when they should really be flipping mad about H1B abuse by corporations.

Corporations can get H1b visas granted to foreign workers when they cannot find an American worker to do the job. These visas are usually issued in areas like engineering, science, and marketing. While corporations are not technically breaking the law when they hire H1b workers, they are often bending the rules and violating the spirit of the law. Corporations have continued to bring in H1b workers, who work at lower wages, at times when there are plenty of out of work Americans who would work those jobs. For example, after the dot com bubble bursted in 2001, there were plenty of laid off computer programmers looking for work, yet many corporations stilll used H1b computer programmers. Unlike illegal aliens who come across the Mexican border, H1b workers are working in jobs that Americans really do want like engineering and marketing.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
...my little brother, an apprentice carpenter, went to a jobsite a few weeks back (repeatedly) and kept getting the run around... finally one of the journeymen at the site just leveled with him, "The boss ain't gonna hire you. He's only got one white guy and he doesn't need anymore."

And so that doesn't phase you one bit, eh Vaga? All he's gotta do is just keep on searching till he finds that ever so rare commodity: a crew that'll hire an American guy. In America. Lovely.

So I suppose if illegal immigrants are shooting for all the labor jobs, then it would appear from now on the average American had better go to college lest they find themselves without a fallback position. The blue collar jobs had been the average American's fallback position while they pursued and trained for white collar jobs. But those positions can no longer be considered a fallback when they are not likely to get hired at a decent rate because of illegal labor.

Is it any wonder that the spread continues to increase between rich and poor? Middle class America is on it's way out as illegal labor saturates the market. Simple supply and demand: lotsa people to fill the jobs, and prices stay down.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
And so that doesn't phase you one bit, eh Vaga? All he's gotta do is just keep on searching till he finds that ever so rare commodity: a crew that'll hire an American guy. In America. Lovely.

The reason it doesn't phase me is because he still had another job within 2 days- the all-Mexican site was the rare one, not the other way around. So some scab contractor had to pay prevailing wage because it was a publically funded job, and he decided he may as well temp some union guys because union wages deserve union quality, and he carried over his petty racism into his hiring process. Big deal. It's not as if he was Matich Bros or Granite. He's an ignoramus with no future in this world because his actions place him in a thin minority whos practices will never prevail.
Why be phased by that? Not even my brother was. He cursed 2 or 3 times, had a beer, called his BA to ask what jobs were hot, and went out the next day and got hired on the biggest job in the valley.

So I suppose if illegal immigrants are shooting for all the labor jobs, then it would appear from now on the average American had better go to college lest they find themselves without a fallback position.

That is America's future. America cannot sustain its position in this world just building cars and houses anymore. They key to America's future lies in the fact that we have the resources and the ingenuity to realize new ideas faster and better than most nations, and if we will devote ourselves to fixing our government's approach to education, economics, and other related matters, the average American of tomorrow can and should have a 4 year degree and a 60K+ sallary creating and producing things that everybody needs and nobody else can make.

Illegals are boarding a sinking ship and we're not even bothering to check their boarding passes. A lot of what immigrants do is in industries that America isn't all that competitive in and may not always be able to support. To me, the logical thing to do in that regard is to crack down on employers to ensure same wages for the same job at a level acceptable to citizens, thus removing the competitive advantage offered by illegals and ensuring that citizen labor is more marketable to employers than immigrant labor, and that immigration will be controlled by the surplus demand for workers. Not only will that protect our workers, but it will raise the standard of living for immigrants not only by giving them better wages when they can find jobs but by deterring people from coming here only to be disappointed at the lack of reliable employment. It will also prevent America from artificially supporting industries it can't sustain in the long term, staving off the possibility of a sudden drop in employment among immigrants, which would be disasterous for them and this country.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
Unlike illegal aliens who come across the Mexican border, H1b workers are working in jobs that Americans really do want like engineering and marketing.

There is a mighty big difference between someone who swims across the Rio Grande or treads through a desert to find work and someone who earns a college degree and applies for a visa in America. Personally, I also find it hard to sympathize with anyone who relies soley on programming and people should have seent he bubble coming.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Low Orbit

?

Because it'd be discovered that you were hear illegally if you tried that.

How does the US keep illegals from taking good jobs while encouraging them to come and take poor jobs?

If a job has any kind of serious background check, it will probably discover that you aren't an actual citizen. Further, the really good jobs generally require some kind of secondary education. Most illegals try to keep a relatively low profile and don't go to college.

Of course, that depends on how you define 'good'. Union jobs can be great jobs, with decent pay and really good benefits. And, from what I understand, illegals can get those jobs too. Why do you assume that they aren't, infact, in some of those jobs?

They might not be dentists, but they might've been able to get certified to be a dental assistant and clean people's teeth, etc.

Why are they kept back by certain positions such as law enforcement, government positions, legal positions, unions,

It'd be pretty stupid to allow illegals to have those kind of jobs. Hell, its stupid to allow them to have any kinds of jobs. TRuth is, no one is allowing them to do it. THey are commiting fraud, and their fraud works well enough for some types of jobs, and not well for other types. The only thing dictating where they work is their own determination of how likely it is that they will be found out to be illegal if they take it.

I think that your title for the thread says it all:

"Why can Illegals mow my lawn but they can't clean my teeth?"

They can not mow your lawn, they are hear illegally. There is no rule or law permitting them to do this. Its just that its immpossible to prevent someone from buying a lawnmover and picking some guy off the street corner to mow someone's lawn.

THe people running those businesses aren't even necessarily looking for an illegal. They go to where there will be men waiting to be picked up for some labour for the day (just look prostitutes). The person picking them up doesn't care if they are illegal or not, while he does figure that they probably are illegal.

But no one is saying 'illegals, you are permited to do this, but not that'.

Originally posted by kaptain disfunct
If an illegal immigrant ran for any office, people would begin to feel threatened and action would probably be taken against them.

Action should be taken against them, they should be arrested, thrown in jail, and then when their sentence is up they shoudl be deported. Or at least deported off the bat.

That should happen for anyone that is openly saying that they are hear illegally.

[edit on 10-1-2007 by Nygdan]

new topics

top topics

join