It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guantanamo- black hole or vital tool?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
"Five years after the first prisoners arrived at Guantanamo Bay, the detention camp is set for a new phase in the coming months with the start of military tribunals held under a law passed by the US Congress last September.

However, only some 75 of the 395 prisoners there at the moment are likely to face these tribunals, at least in the initial stages. For the rest, there is the prospect of indefinite detention without trial";

news.bbc.co.uk...

"Amnesty International said on this fifth anniversary: "Guantanamo Bay is a symbol of injustice and abuse. It must be closed down.""
I agree. So far Guantanamo has not had much positive media coverage, talk of torture and suicide is quite common- i think the Americans are very hypocritical in even having Guantanamo around and they should close it down for the sake of their image and for the reasons concerning morality and human rights.
What do you think?

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I think there are 395 less killers running around at large, and they should spend the rest of their natural lives locked up.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by GT100FV
I think there are 395 less killers running around at large, and they should spend the rest of their natural lives locked up.

half of those killers are civilians thought to be killers. the other half are there against their will.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   
People complain bitterly about Guantanamo but I'm sure that people would be even more upset if Guantanamo was located in there backyard. Fanatics who are captured on the battlefield have to be interned somewhere until they can be processed. You hardly let these nuts go after there captured.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracymaster

Originally posted by GT100FV

half of those killers are civilians thought to be killers. the other half are there against their will.

I'm sure all of them are there against their will, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be there. US forces didn't just randomly pick up folks and fly them to Guantanamo. Joe sixpack is debriefed in Iraq or Afghanistan. These folks exceded the "minding my own business" standard(i.e. captured during firefights, etc...)

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   

There are hundreds of thousands of convicted murderers imprisoned "against their will" in the US. Maybe we should let them go too.

It amazes me then lengths to which people will go to defend cold blooded killers. Yet, they're quick to jump on the military when they accidently hit the women and children that the terrorists are standing behind while they attack.

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle

There are hundreds of thousands of convicted murderers imprisoned "against their will" in the US. Maybe we should let them go too.

It amazes me then lengths to which people will go to defend cold blooded killers. Yet, they're quick to jump on the military when they accidently hit the women and children that the terrorists are standing behind while they attack.

Do you even know what half of those people are in there for? No? Half of these people are there purely based on suspicion. Someone may have done nothing at all, but because people are suspicious of them, they get locked away for years on end with no hope of a trial.
How can you can prove someone has done somthing if they've never had a trial? You can't, simple as that. But the reality of the situation is that many people there will just waste away for years on end with no hope of justice or a right to a trial- is this America's true system of justice? We lock you away until we can be bothered to do a trial? Some of those people could spend their entire life behind bars for a crime that they've never been proven to have actually done. Yeah, great system- might as well go to north korea

new topics

top topics

join