It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fred Fielding to Replace Harriet Miers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Fred F. Fielding, a former 9/11 Commission member, will be named as President Bush's new White House Counsel to replace Harriet Miers, whose resignation is effective January 31. No Senate confirmation hearing is needed on the appointment.

www.foxnews.com
According to Time magazine, which first broke the story, Fielding was the candidate chosen by Bush Chief of Staff Josh Bolten and was considered the best choice for an expanded role for the counsel. Fielding was previously White House counsel under President Ronald Reagan and deputy White House counsel for President Richard Nixon. He also served as counsel on the Bush-Cheney presidential transition team in 2000 and 2001 and most recently was a senior partner in the Washington law firm of Wiley, Rein & Fielding.

"The key for the administration is going to be drawing the lines on these boundaries of executive privilege and access to documents and congressional oversight — drawing the lines around the really important issues and trying to be a little more flexible on the others," the former colleague said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Looks to me like they're bringing in the big gun to do damage control. The article says he held the same position in the Reagan administration.

I wonder if he was involved in the Iran/Contra scandal? If so, he should have lots of experience at this sort of thing.

Related News Links:
www.time.com

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
This makes me laugh, what is going on with Mr. bush, I thing Bush has a think for Nixon, I think that he surrounding himself with certain people that remind him of Nixon and other pieces of historical eras in politics give Bush the feeling of doing something that other presidents could not accomplish.

Another Nixon-Reagan Corpse Dug Up For Dubya

Bush new and not so fresh appointees.

Did he was CIA? Or not, anyway supposedly he helped lot of Reagan Administration criminals not go to prison.

So if he been brought up to reassure mr. Bush that he too can get away with it.

[edit on 9-1-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Sorry double post.

[edit on 9-1-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
It's strange isn't it? I mean bright young things are coming up through the system all the time. People with fresh ideas and approaches to tired, old problems. Ambitious men and women with a strong grasp of technology, media savvy with a head for current events and being churned out of all the big name institutions. And yet this administration just seems to cast its net further back to pick up old guard from GB snr. days, Reagan and even Nixon!

What is it with old men and power? God save us from powerful old men and bring in the new blood!

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Yeah marg,

The Time article linked at the bottom of the story really falls all over itself trying to be fair, and ends up being laughable as well, imo. It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic for our country.

For example:

An official who has been briefed on the impending announcement, which could come as soon as Tuesday, called Fielding "the ultimate Washington lawyer-insider — he's the man to see."

"He's the guy who helps you defend your position, stick to your principles, but tries to work out a reasonable compromise," the official said.

Is that pleasing all of the people all of the time? I thought it wasn't possible. Maybe its fooling all of the people all of the time. That seems to be more in line with this administrations goals. Principles, what principles?

This one was a doozer, too:

Fielding was persuaded to leave his lucrative position as a senior partner in the Washington law firm of Wiley, Rein & Fielding with "an appeal to patriotism" and an assurance that he would not just be the President's lawyer but would be deeply involved in Congressional strategy and negotiations, the official said.

Makes it sound like he will be calling the shots for the President, Rove style. That's just what we need. Accountability? Nah, that's for patsies and stooges like Scooter Libby.

Now comes the real meat and potatoes:

"The key for the Administration is going to be drawing the lines on these boundaries of executive privilege and access to documents and congressional oversight — drawing the lines around the really important issues and trying to be a little more flexible on the others,"

The really important issues, like the ones that could get the President impeached and thrown out of office to face criminal prosecution.

Break a leg, Triple F. My advice? In the immortal words of the signature of a fellow ATSer (which one escapes me at the moment), "Act confused, show surprise, deny, deny, deny!"

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kickoutthejams
It's strange isn't it? I mean bright young things are coming up through the system all the time.
What is it with old men and power? God save us from powerful old men and bring in the new blood!

I got the feeling that has to do with the elites in power; they are the old timers that have been ruling our nation going from administration to administration through the years.

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Yeah marg,
Fielding was persuaded to leave his lucrative position as a senior Makes it sound like he will be calling the shots for the President, Rove style. That's just what we need. Accountability? Nah, that's for patsies and stooges like Scooter Libby.

I think Bush love to surround himself with controversial men that has been in tough situations and come out of it looking clean.

Perhaps he is afraid of what the new congress is going to do and needs some personal advises from somebody that has been able to bail out worst kinds before when it comes with the dirty politics in Washington.

posted on Jan, 10 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Yah know,

I look at my last post, and,.... we are talking about legal representation for the man holding our highest government office in a time of crisis. It pains me greatly that I can't help honestly feeling he has completely sold us all the way down the river to ruin. Not just him, but in hindsight, the three administrations before him, as well. On purpose.

One of my Bible study discovery questions last week was:

1. Read Romans 13:1-7. God is sovereign over the nations. All governments, whether good or bad, God aligns to His cosmic plan. What does the Apostle Paul instruct us to do in this situation?

Romans
Chapter 13

1 Let every person be subordinate to the higher authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been established by God.
Therefore, whoever resists authority opposes what God has appointed, and those who oppose it will bring judgment upon themselves.
For rulers are not a cause of fear to good conduct, but to evil. Do you wish to have no fear of authority? Then do what is good and you will receive approval from it,
for it is a servant of God for your good. But if you do evil, be afraid, for it does not bear the sword without purpose; it is the servant of God to inflict wrath on the evildoer.
Therefore, it is necessary to be subject not only because of the wrath but also because of conscience.
This is why you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, devoting themselves to this very thing.
Pay to all their dues, taxes to whom taxes are due, toll to whom toll is due, respect to whom respect is due, honor to whom honor is due.
NASB

The discussion went on about respecting those holding office. The jist seemed to be that they were holding the hammer and if they didn't like you, you were in trouble. Nobody wanted to go to jail, right?

I just had to speak up and say that I believe this country is governed by the Constitution. I respect the Constitution and the offices and obligations it creates. I believe in the freedoms it provides me, a Citizen of the United States of America by heritage and by birth.

One of those freedoms is also an obligation to take part in the political process in this country, to vote and to voice my opinion and share discourse with others on the issues that affect us all. I have the right and the responsibility to consider the decisions made by those who hold office in this country, and to engage in and contribute to the process by which those decisions that affect us all are made.

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

I am truly sorry I disagree so stridently with the decisions made by the man holding our nation's highest office. My conscience leaves me no other choice. I can only try harder not to be so harsh about it. There is so much riding on these issues for our country that I feel compelled to voice my concerns in the strictest possible terms.

Seems to me, the higher authority, under God, in this nation, is supposed to be the will of the people.

[edit on 10-1-2007 by Icarus Rising]

top topics

join