It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Facility Could Detect Earth-like Civilizations Around 1,000 Nearest Stars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Here is some exciting stuff.

www.sciencedaily.com

Astronomers have proposed an improved method of searching for intelligent extraterrestrial life using instruments like one now under construction in Australia. The Low Frequency Demonstrator (LFD) of the Mileura Wide-Field Array (MWA), a facility for radio astronomy, theoretically could detect Earth-like civilizations around any of the 1,000 nearest stars.

"Soon, we may be eavesdropping on signals from Galactic civilizations," says theorist Avi Loeb of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics (CfA). "This is the first time in history that humans will be capable of finding a civilization like ours among the stars."

Loeb and Zaldarriaga calculate that by staring at the sky for a month, the MWA-LFD could detect Earth-like radio signals from a distance of up to 30 light-years, which would encompass approximately 1,000 stars. More powerful broadcasts could be detected to even greater distances. Future observatories like the Square Kilometer Array could detect Earth-like broadcasts from 10 times farther away, which would encompass 100 million stars.

What are the odds we will pick something up among those 1,000 stars?

How about when we can detect broadcasts from 100 million star systems?

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
This would be awesome. First to prove once and for all we're not alone in the universe and then to let that sink in.

Our technology seems to be moving so fast these days nothing amazes me anymore. (Except for life and everything in it
)

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   

This would be awesome. First to prove once and for all we're not alone in the universe and then to let that sink in.

Well I hope that the fundies will stop their BS about God and how humans are specials and that the earth was created in 7 days... Hope they wake up to the real world.

And I hope that the scare-mongering people in the government will not use that as a scaremongering tactic to bring a world government.

Because after the ``threat`` of terrorism is over, they need a new threat, maybe China, maybe extra-terrestrials... To continue and finish their new world order.

From Steven Greer about an alien invasion hoax:

Since 1992 I have seen this script unveiled to me by at least a dozen well-placed insiders. Of course, initially I laughed, thinking this just too absurd and far-fetched. Dr. Rosin gave her testimony to the Disclosure Project before 9/11. And yet others told me explicitly that things that looked like UFOs but that are built and under the control of deeply secretive 'black' projects, were being used to simulate - hoax - ET-appearing events, including some abductions and cattle mutilations, to sow the early seeds of cultural fear regarding life in outer space. Like the movie Independence Day, an attempt to unite the world through militarism would unfold using ET as the new cosmic scapegoat (think Jews during the Third Reich).

After all, government disinformation agents may be under the 2012 phenomena and hype after a contact with ETs... the hype of the gloom and doom... And I heard that under the Lucifer program, they will try in summer 2008 to ignite Jupiter as a new sun... They may spin it into a sign of god or something like that.

I may make a topic about that...

[edit on 9-1-2007 by Vitchilo]

new topics

join