It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Migrations, Noah and the Bible. First thread, be easy!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
actually, most fish would have died. They tend to require specific habitats to live. If the water increased, or decreased in salination it could have led to the death of many.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
Yes, the water canopy theory is used to explain the flood. God's collapse of the water canopy was what caused the flood. Prior to the flood, it had never rained. There was a ground mist in the morning, and springs flowed up out of the ground.

The water canopy theory is also used to explain the longevity of early man and the existence of dinosaurs. The canopy filtered out all of the damaging rays of the Sun, so genetic mutation didn't occur to damage cells and shorten life.

The increased surface pressure allowed man to be much larger as well, also providing the needed bouyancy for gigantic creatures such as dinosaurs. Without the canopy, massive creatures would collapse and suffocate, much the way a beached whale does today.

Wow....
This is a new hight of absurdity for the Christian faith. I don't know where to begin. Should I start with the lack of rainfall prior to the existance of man, or shold I start with the air needing to be buoyant enogh for large creatures to "float" in it.

Or how about I let common sense take over and allow people to realize this theory is completely nuts.

Back on topic though. Many people think of flood legends as the unifying string throughout the ancient world. I don't see how it necesarily applies. Legends and myths often surround disasters. And the largest, most devistating disasters come with exagerations, and extreme myths. Unless there is some evidence that the Incan flood, and the middle eastern flood occured at the same time, there really is no evidence of any connection. Just two cultures that fear floods because many creatures die in them. That's almost a universal thing.

the stories are way to simillar for it to be a coincidence.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Aside from the Sumerian, and Judeo flood stories, I don't see them being that similar. If the world would be destroyed, it would either happen through flood or fire (at least in those days).

Show me how the stories are so similar that it can't be a coincidence. Also, show me a timeline.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

actually, most fish would have died. They tend to require specific habitats to live. If the water increased, or decreased in salination it could have led to the death of many.

Some may have died,but certainly not all. Also, I would think that the temperature differentiation would have been a more likely cause for their death, if anything.

[edit on 9-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
You're probaably right SoT, but nevertheless, aquatic animals would have died during the flood. And afterwards, when the waters receided, there would have been smelly dead fish everywhere.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Or how about I let common sense take over and allow people to realize this theory is completely nuts.

Hallelujah, another free of woo...

When I said, "we", I meant those that use real-world evidence on which to base their view of nature and the world.

There is just toooooooooooo much evidence suggesting the biblical world-wide flood, which many christians hold to, never took place to even bother with elaborate fantastical explanations. They may have a degree of 'truthiness' to some.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Well,who is to say that there weren't rotting dead fish after the water receded? All of this is rather a moot point for me because I don't think that it happened on near the scale that some that are posting here seem to think that it occurred. I don't doubt that it occurred, but I just think that it was more or less proportional to the known world at the time.

I certainly will not rule out a grand scale flood. However,I have felt for quite some time that it was rather small by today's standards. Now, to the ancient man, I am sure that it was quite an event.

Even today,I suppose it would be rather an amazing event. I mean, to have much of the Middle East and Europe under water would certainly be spectacular and terrifying.

[edit on 9-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
here's some similar stories from around the world about a great flood.
Flood Stories

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Reagan, I'm not saying that the flood story is unique, I'm just saying that there are only so many directions a flood story can go. And, anywhere where there's water, there's going to be a flood, with enough time.

Edit: BTW, the Criteria given for similarities in the story were

D = Destruction by Water-(duh)
G = (God) Divine Cause- (again, always a divine cause when it comes to devistation)
W = Warning Given- (hindsite works great in stories)
H = Humans Spared- (again....Duh we're here aren't we)
A = Animals Spared- (see above)
V = Preserved in a Vessel-(Vessel or mountains. If the location doesn't have mountains, then they'd better be in a ship of some kind)

[edit on 9-1-2007 by Rasobasi420]

[edit on 9-1-2007 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
That's fine. i just wanted to point out the oddity of how many places have these similarities. Maybe that's the questioin we should be asking? To me it is just as crazy as why there are pyramids in egypt and in the mayan area. how does something so vast and unique become so closesly related in a time when communication was so limited.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Reagan, I'm not saying that the flood story is unique, I'm just saying that there are only so many directions a flood story can go. And, anywhere where there's water, there's going to be a flood, with enough time.

And lest we forget, most ancient civilisations were based around water, it's sort of the normal thing to do. Therefore it was normal for these civilisations to suffer floods, occassionally a 'mother of all floods' would occur. Which would lead to oral myths.

There are also many common legends of how humans acquired fire, which include it being stolen by a non-human/non-deity male character, on behalf of someone else, from some sort of supernatural being. However, I don't see people attempting to validate a real-world aspect to these myths.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by reaganero
To me it is just as crazy as why there are pyramids in egypt and in the mayan area. how does something so vast and unique become so closesly related in a time when communication was so limited.

While I personally feel the pyramids to be something other worldly myself, I can see how they would pop up around the world naturally, or rather as a natural development of human society. After all, if man wants to build something grand, they want it to be huge, like a mountain. And, since a pyramid shape is the most stable, and natural way to build a mountain, there you go.

Sorry, about the tangent. Please continue as if I'm not here.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
This has cropped up in some discussions before and sometimes repeating an issue is not so bad as it keeps the newer members or people who are getting into this type of website deal with all issues.

I have some theories that make sense and some are from places I have read about.

One thing is the time during Noah's time was climate with rich oxygen, which could have made the animals grow super size let alone the Angel giants called the Nephelin in Genesis 6.

I think the animals taken onboard were ones that had DNA that would for example create cousins of other breeds like for example a Wolf would be kept so that it's bloodline like Noah’s could spread to create other breeds.
Hence for the fact Noah's children were of different races as the DNA then was more switched on so the variety could branch out. One domestic cat for example as of cats of today could produce different breeds, my cat used to make all sorts of different coated breeds from ginger, to Manx, to tortoise shell to white. What mattered was the type of Animal the basics of species.

So in this vast world how were they collected? Before then the world was one continent one big landscape. During the tower of Babel God spread man and split the Earth up so they would not find each other, hence why pyramids from south America to the Egyptian or Chinese pyramids all have something in common which is not only shape but sacrifice and they all hold lost knowledge that God did not want man to find out like opening up portals for Angels to come into our realm.

Ok now people will ask for detailed info which I will try and find but may not right now, something's are just theories I put together from other sources as people do.
Not read them to the max but hope they may help and maybe ask more questions too.
christiananswers.net...
www.christiananswers.net...
www.talkorigins.org...
www.ldolphin.org...

Anyway I am no know it all just here to exapand it a little.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   

While I personally feel the pyramids to be something other worldly myself, I can see how they would pop up around the world naturally, or rather as a natural development of human society. After all, if man wants to build something grand, they want it to be huge, like a mountain. And, since a pyramid shape is the most stable, and natural way to build a mountain, there you go.

While the original pyramids in Egypt may indeed be a product of "exterior forces," I think that the correlating ones in say, Mexico and other locations of South and central America, are products of civilization swap. I tend to think that there was some form of communication or "mixing" of cultures.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Good grief... I go to work come back home and this has gotten away from me.

One thing though, someone who supported the local flood theory said that indeed the bible has become "tainted" and therefore "corrupted"... I just can't believe that you think that an all powerful, all knowing god would allow his word to be crapped on. This is his only way to truly carry his message through the ages, and offer souls salvation. The interpretation problems causes people not to believe... why would he allow that. Please don't say that people should research the hebrew and greek versions cause some people are illiterate or struggle even with English. To me that sounds like god playing games with people. I will not serve a god that toys with his followers. How could god expect people to believe in him if he cannot control not only his church and people but also his own book/word.

[edit on 9-1-2007 by hereticalmind]

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by hereticalmind
. I will not serve a god that toys with his followers. How could god expect people to believe in him if he cannot control not only his church and people but also his own book/word.

[edit on 9-1-2007 by hereticalmind]

Who said anything about God toying with anyone? I certainly did. But if you think that the powerbrokers, namely the"church" is not toying with people, boy, are you ever in for a surprise.

posted on Mar, 4 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Years back when I studied the flood this is what I came to believe;
There was a one world continent prior and immediatly after the flood, genetics being perfect prior to the flood were environmentally damaged to an efficiency of 1/2 immediatly following the flood (based on the ages of the post flood people compared to the pre flood people).. than we see the ages of the post-flood people level off around 400-450 years until Peleg, who would have been at the time of the tower of Babyl... The one world continent at this time was now populated thoroughly by animals and man, than some event happened that split apart the world... Genisis 10:25...
I certainly am very wary of this idea now that I consider myself mostly an unbeliever.. but just wanted to toss in my 2 cents.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
When the Boxing Day Tsunami hit southern India, it struck a small catholic pilgrimage town called Velankani. India's equivalent to something like Lourdes.

I visitied it last year, and talked to a local priest, walking along the beach a year after the event. The waves had rushed in, buildings and people washed away, massive destruction. He watched it all from an upper story verandah.

But, the thing he and everyone else found Miraculous was that the Church was Untouched by the Waves! God had saved the Church!
(The church is actually on fairly high ground and a good deal inland from the sea, but let's not dwell on that too much)

I wonder how that story will be told in a few hundred years time?

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Well after the Flood, there was the tower of Babel. If God confused the languages of the people, then different stories would have been taken with different tribes accounting for myths developing. As far as dispersing, it wasn't too hard since an Ice age followed the Great flood. This lowered sea levels and let land bridges appear. Plus boat building wasn't forgotten! They could still ask Noah ^^. It would only take a few generations to establish various cultures around the world.

posted on May, 11 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by TC Mike
As far as dispersing, it wasn't too hard since an Ice age followed the Great flood. This lowered sea levels and let land bridges appear. Plus boat building wasn't forgotten! They could still ask Noah ^^. It would only take a few generations to establish various cultures around the world.

Are you sure? I thought the great flood only happened about 6,000 years ago or something. The last Ice age was a lot older than that

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join