It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Report: Russia halts European oil shipments via Belarus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This mirrors the situation where Natural Gas supplies were suspended, and the result was that some former Soviet States are now paying more for LNG. Expect to see re-negotiated contracts for fuel between Russia and Belarus.

The re-emerging superpower is flexing its muscles to remind former clients of their place, and to ensure Putins social, defense and space programs are funded.

MINSK, Belarus - A senior Russian official said Monday that Russia has
been forced to stop delivering oil to Europe via Belarus after disruptions to the flow of exports it blamed on Minsk, the ITAR-TASS news agency reported.

Deputy Trade and Economic Development Andrei Sharonov said in an interview with Russian news channel Vesti that oil supplies via the Druzhba, or Friendship, pipeline to eastern and central Europe could not continue under these circumstances, according to ITAR-Tass.

"Now there is a threat to the fulfillment of international contracts between Russian companies and companies in Western Europe and Eastern Europe," he was quoted as saying. "We view this situation as force-majeure, as the onset of unavoidable circumstances."

The Associated Press

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Don't you just LOVE trade wars?

The Russians piss me off sometimes, they think they can bully any one they want, and I know as an American I am not one to talk, but they like us pick on the little guys all the time. I am glad to see the little man kick back at the giant and his arrogant ways.

The fact that they began stealing oil from the pipeline is absolutly fascinating to me. They stole Russias oil! .. The government has balls thats all I can say. When Georgia crossed Russia they waited till it was 20 below and BLEW UP the pipeline into Georgia to freeze her people. That was last year. I would expect some unfortunate events to occure in this country this year.

Also, if Russia does not deliver on her oil obligations regardless if another state stole it from her, she will void the contracts and actually owe money to the states in question for not fulfilling their obligations. Go Russia. Bet Putin is PISSED.

new topics

join