It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was the Bible's Goliath a real creature?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Hello All,

If you use the premise that the bible has some historical fact, and you start looking to ascertain the veracity of the stories within you come across some odd bits of information.

It doesn't take a stretch of imagination to see Shaquille O'neal the American basketball player as Goliath. but the biblical accounts say that goliath was much bigger than Mr. O'Neal.

Toward that end I came across this site that gives some thought provoking evidence.

www.burlingtonnews.net...

Are there any biomechanics scientists on this list that could give us an idea of the biggest a human style bone structure could be?

3-7 meters tall? That's unbelieveable....

hrxll

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Goliath was a giant among men. The Bible never gives his exact dimentions. It could have been a 7 foot guy really well built who was the best fighter their army had to offer. Andre was called a giant, but he wasn't 3-7 meters tall. Just huge compared to others.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 03:53 PM
link   
HOLY CRIKES!!!

good topic

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 06:08 PM
link   
i've heard of these guys...always thought if they did exist it would have ben alot easier for them to have built the pyramids, stonehenge etc....

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 10:44 PM
link   
"Show about Giants on the History Channel" thread is one big huge database on the nature and finds about and dealing with Giants.

(on 2nd page fo the topics lists in this forum)

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by exdog
HOLY CRIKES!!!

good topic

I was excited until I read the part about the femur being a reconstructed sculpture. What happened to the original...and where are the skulls? That would be awesome to see!! A gigantic humanoid skull !

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I looked up some more info on the giants found in the Euphrates Valley region.

This site has a bit more info. > www.stevequayle.com...
(specifically about the photo above)

It sounds unbelievable. I have lived with my family at Ain-Tell for more than 14 years at the very spot where King Nebuchadnezzar had his headquarters after the battle of Charcamish, where I dug the graves of kings� officers and found their skeletons like sponge, and when you touch them they become like white ash, with spears and silex and obsidian tools and ammunition laying by.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Goliath was a giant among men. The Bible never gives his exact dimentions. It could have been a 7 foot guy really well built who was the best fighter their army had to offer. Andre was called a giant, but he wasn't 3-7 meters tall. Just huge compared to others.

I found this in a bible dictionary:

GOLIATH

Based on the figures in the Bible (1 Sam. 17:4), Goliath was at least 9 1/2 feet tall and perhaps as tall as 11 feet. The magnificence of Goliath's armor and weapons-- his bronze coat of mail, bronze greaves, bronze javelin, spear with an iron spearhead, and huge sword-- must have made him appear invincible.
(from Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary)
(Copyright (C) 1986, Thomas Nelson Publishers)

Just imagine the sheer size of Paul Wight (Big Show) the wrestler, 7'2". Now imagine Goliath standing next to him at at least 9'6", he would dwarf the Big Show.

Kevin Nash and the Big Show against Goliath, that would be cool.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 11:34 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Yes Goliath was a real creature, created by God, and God didn't liked those Giants, and God killed them too (Nephilim) even though they build the Refaim (of which is also spoken in the Bible) which looks like Stonehedge, in Israel.

I know a lot of people have already answered in this topic but just wanted to give my view

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeenBekkemaa
Yes Goliath was a real creature, created by God, and God didn't liked those Giants, and God killed them too (Nephilim) even though they build the Refaim (of which is also spoken in the Bible) which looks like Stonehedge, in Israel.

I know a lot of people have already answered in this topic but just wanted to give my view

If I understand what you're saying, the omnipotent Judeo-Christian god created something he didn't like? so he destroyed them, or let them be destroyed?

If that is the gist of what you're saying, how did you come to that conclusion? Not being critical, just very curious..

If you wish to please U2U me.

Thank You.

hrxll

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Wasn't there another thread on this a couple of months ago? I remember seeing that site with the monolithic bones there. Interesting Info. It's hard to say really what or how they came to become as big as they were. There are very very few accounts in history of these people. It could be one of many things. Abstracts of Nature, Decendants of the Annunaki, Hybrids etc etc. And the liklihood of one ever finding out the truth is far and few between.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Hi All. New Member Here,

This is a very intriguing topic. I'm a strong Christian who used to disregard things from the Bible that sounded extreme such as Goliath being a real giant. But as I've grown and learned to look outside of what they teach in school, I've realized that lots of stuff in the Bible that seemed only figurative or whatever, probably actually was true. Obviously in school, we are never taught about the possibility of huge people such as the ones we're talking about, but it is estimated that we know only about 10% of our history and/or the history of the world with any accuracy. An excellent site to go to would be www.anomalies-unlimited.com... Here you can find many examples of things of our past that we cannot begin to explain, but only theorize on. They all have pics to go along with them. I think it's kinda cool discovering these things, because it reestablishes a sense of fantasy, mystery and unknown that we tend to lose as we age.

[Edited on 15-12-2003 by SimpleTruth]

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Thanks for that. This link points to the statues of the Reptile Race (from heaven) that first enslaved neanderthal man with the god spark...(according to the oldest mythos of man... pre-biblical Sumerian mythology)

www.anomalies-unlimited.com...

If you believe that sort of thing I mean. As for why we don't know our own history??? The Church destroyed the records...plain and simple. Making it hard to believe anything else.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 02:34 AM
link   

So let me get this straight.

The all knowing God, the creator of all, Creates these giants, and kills them.

Why would god create them knowing all well that he would hate them, so he kills them?

Errrrrrrrrrr...that does not make sense to me.

The average hight of humans those days was shorter than it is now, so im sure andre the giant might have appeared as a giant to them.

Deep

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by exdog
HOLY CRIKES!!!

good topic

I would love to get my hands on a chicken leg that big!

Seriously: Anatomically impossible. How in the world could giants have existed in a region of the world where food was scarce, except for the well to do? The Romans thought the Germanic tribesmen were giants, due to their high protein diets. I'm no doctor, but I don't think a people could become "giants" on a diet of locusts and sheeps cheese.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 08:06 AM
link   
So let me get this straight.

The all knowing God, the creator of all, Creates these giants, and kills them.

Why would god create them knowing all well that he would hate them, so he kills them?

Errrrrrrrrrr...that does not make sense to me.

Deep

Hi. Why would God create something and hate it? That is a very good question. It wasn't because of the fact that he was a giant that God despised Goliath, it was because he was evil, and God hates evil. Plus, Satan and his fallen angels are free to roam Earth. They are constantly trying to mess up/influence God's creations. It is possible that Goliath was something more of Satan's design anyway. So God's hate comes from how certain people such as Goliath have become evil, not from how He originally created them. I hope that clears something up?

Also, about people being shorter in the past. I believe you are right, but I think that's only true for some races such as the Anglo Saxons or many caucasian descents. There have always been races of tall peoples. Especially in Africa, and who knows where else.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The fossil leg bone you see in the picture is actually not a real artifact. Nobody found it. It's a sculpture.

In fact, the information on the picture says that it's a sculpture and not a real human bone. Physically it's not thick enough to support a human that would be that tall (well over 15 feet tall.) The height limit on human giants seems to be around 9 feet tall, and their systems are fragile (the bones break easily for one thing.)

The other observation I'd like to make regards human reproduction and giants.

Now... I'm sure it's exciting and erotic to think of it, but if you've got someone with a male reproductive organ that's the size of your arm and he's fully aroused and he wants to insert ALL of it in your body -- frankly, most normal sized people of that time would Run Away Very Quickly.

If he got rough, you wouldn't survive. If he's on top, he'd crush you or smother you -- IF he could achieve arousal.

So, if you were building a giant the bone proportions would have to be much different. For a good ecological example, take a look at the eohippus ("dawn horse") skeletons and then take a look at a modern horse skeleton. They're very different in size and structure and a modern quarterhorse couldn't mate with little eohippus.

Same problem with the idea of human giants.

Ah yes. For a good example of the thickness needed for a 15-20 foot tall biped, take a look at the T-rex skeletons. www.jpaftermath.com...

You'll find that all other bipedal dinos of the same height had leg bones of about the same thickness. That sculpted femur would never have stood the weight.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:12 AM
link   
This might not be related, but...... according to a newspaper article these beings as in I suppose Goliath did exist along side man as we know them.

In a missing book of genesis(don't bite me yet I am looking of links to this alleged book and references in Genesis) There did exist theses super humans who were tall and stronger Goliath seems to fit that genre.

The flood was them done to wipe out these giants or so it was written. This apparently also explained the out of place artifacts.

I am still looking into it, if it was true certainly would answer how some civilisations did things others can't yet still fathom out how.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeenBekkemaa

Oops!

I missed your post. Mine said the same as yours sorry. Nephillim that was the word I was struggling to find.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join