It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Gas like smell in NewYork?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I forgot to mention that local radio is reporting that the local authorities are anticipating opening the area to the public around noon, CST.

I will report back this afternoon on the latest from the Austin, Texas area.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Are these events linked???

The following occured 154 days ago on the 15th of August this 2006...

Strange Odor Leads Several to Hospital on Staten Island

NEW YORK (AP) -- More than 100 residents of Staten Island and about a half-dozen in Queens complained about a gas odor permeating in their neighborhoods on Tuesday.

The U.S. Coast Guard, as well as fire and utility officials, were trying to locate the source of the odor. Mariners in the area also called about a strange, gaseous smell.

About seven people were transported to area hospitals after complaining of headaches and nausea, said Lt. Thomas Kane, a spokesman for the Fire Department.

Kane said the calls began around 9:30 a.m. and continued into the late afternoon.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Txhunter67
I forgot to mention that local radio is reporting that the local authorities are anticipating opening the area to the public around noon, CST.

I will report back this afternoon on the latest from the Austin, Texas area.

These are 2 seperate events (so far) so have started another thread for it..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Bloomberg: "The city's air censors are not indicating elevated levels of natural gas."

this quote made me laugh out loud.

perhaps they should look in a dictionary and take note of what the difference between 'censor' and 'sensor' (which is hopefully what they meant to say) is

[edit on 8-1-2007 by justyc]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur

The smell this time is definitely not the same as the last smell incident. That one was more of a maple syrup kinda smell.

There was a smell problem a few months back in Queens and Brooklyn that resulted in a few people getting sick I think.

I got the Owls Head Sewage treatment plant about 8 blocks away...I wouldn't be able to smell Gas unless the Methane decides to move over and gives some other smell a chance to get by.

You would figure the idiots in this city instead of wasting all that methane gas and making the area smell like one big fart would stick it in big tankers and run our buses,and city vehicles on it.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
SkepticOverloard, what do you mean by a rumbling? earthquake type of rumbing? A sound?

This is getting wierd!

[edit on 8-1-2007 by sensfan]

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Still no idea of where this came from,.

NJ fire departartment say they have has no reports of gas leaks in there areas,

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
How can a smell spread across multiple cities? There must be some hella-strong wind going on there. Anyways, nothing on CNN yet.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
time for me to come clean. I hadn't pooped in a few days. Atkins thing. Anyway, yesterday was my daughter's 4th birthday and we had a sundae making party at FAO Schwartz and I had myself a nice bit of ice cream and a milk shake. What ensued was a most unpleasant cleansing.

I lit several matches.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by justyc
perhaps they should look in a dictionary and take note of what the difference between 'censor' and 'sensor'

Yes... typing too fast was also watching the news.

The rumbling was an odd false alarm... but everyone in the building had a brief panick as the HVAC which is normally never off, kicked back in and rattled everything quite a bit... and caused a second short burst of foul odor.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
..News reporters headed toward NJ are saying the smell is less the further they get from Manhattan..I'm hearing that it's starting to smell strong in the Wall Street area..

Nothing to worry about, its just the stench of dirty money and corrupt business-deals

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Is a smell or scent measurable by instrument? Has this been done in New York? I got a wild conspiracy theory about this incident, but if this smell is already confirmed as "really being there" it falls dead.

We already know that microwave weapons, that makes your skin feel like burning but not really hurting you, do exist. I was thinking a test run for something similar but with odors.

its far fetched i know... but they have so many strange projects going on, who knows?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   

On December 26, 2005, dozens of people at a St. Petersburg, Russia Maksidom home supplies store were sickened when gas suspected to be methanethiol was released. The store had received letters threatening to disrupt business during the holiday gift-giving season. Three other stores belonging to the same chain found boxes with glass containers and timers that also might have been rigged to release the gas.

en.wikipedia.org...

-- Boat

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
maybe it was the first successful test run of Project Blue Beam/H.A.A.R.P. lol make everybody think they are smelling gas... i mean, the air sensors there didnt pick up anything.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Wasn't it over the summer or last spring that there was similiar incident in NYC, a "sweet smell" that couldn't be explained??? I'm pretty sure it isn't the Staten Island story that I'm thinking of but of another Manhattan incident...anyone recall this and what the outcome turned out to be???

strange story non the less, hoping that it's nothing and that this "not dangerous but unknown odor" isn't really dangerous and the source will be found soon.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Someone on another board raised a rather chilling possibility, that this could be a "test" by terrorists to see how far an airborne element could travel.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Or a "drill" by authorities.

They were quick to disclaim any danger.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
Wasn't it over the summer or last spring that there was similiar incident in NYC, a "sweet smell" that couldn't be explained??? I'm pretty sure it isn't the Staten Island story that I'm thinking of but of another Manhattan incident...anyone recall this and what the outcome turned out to be???

strange story non the less, hoping that it's nothing and that this "not dangerous but unknown odor" isn't really dangerous and the source will be found soon.

we had the maple syrup smell a while back. someone posted a link to that.

I thought the syrup smell could have been a test of some kind and this would also fit that bill but the truth is, the winds and weather are so unpredictable that I can't see how it would really be that necessary to test the spread outdoors. inside? sure.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nightowl
Someone on another board raised a rather chilling possibility, that this could be a "test" by terrorists to see how far an airborne element could travel.

Originally posted by loam
Or a "drill" by authorities.

They were quick to disclaim any danger.

Well, last time we had a suspicious smell here in NYC the same theories were given. It's very difficult to explain these things because of the size of the area. New York City (particularly Manhattan) is so dense for such a wide area that pinpointing an odor is simply impossible.

The problem, for both terrorists and authorities, is that any "test" done would prove nothing. You can't test how fast an airborne pathogen will spread in NYC because there are simply too many variables. Wind speed, wind direction, when reacting with the wind tunnel effect created by the skyscrapers... humidity and cloud cover, subway volume would determine the speed of it spreading through the tunnels... a test today is not a test tomorrow.

Oh and WW... believe me... there is no sweet smell eminating from Staten Island

[edit on 1/8/2007 by Djarums]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join