It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***46000 WU's!!!***

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Genya, I see that you are closing in on your goal of 5,000 work units. Good to see that you will make it before the end of the line. Team ATS is going to make a respectable showing overall.

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spectre
Genya, I see that you are closing in on your goal of 5,000 work units. Good to see that you will make it before the end of the line. Team ATS is going to make a respectable showing overall.

Hi Spectre!!

Nice to "see" you again!! Hope all is going well with you etc??

Yes, I'm now in the "nervous" 900's, each day bringing me a bit closer to the goal - boy!! it takes time, doesn't it (unless you have a SETI farm Spectre!!
) I anticipate another 9 days or so, all being well ... I'll be *sure* to mark this event, no worries (in the 100+WU thread, of course!!)

Yes, the ATS teams are both doing extremely well - I'm "chuffed" we managed to exceed the 100kWU barrier *again*, following our "false dawn" a few weeks ago. What I like is that we've been able to move from 46kWU's (from the inception of the ATS SETI@home team) to double that (and beyond!!) in a matter of months - 12th Dec 2003 brought up the 46kWU, and it was the "exactness" of that figure that made me post it. Of course, "major players" like yourself Spectre (!!
!!) have made this possible - but what a marvellous achievement!!

And the "new" BOINC team is simply storming up the team listings - when we all move over, I'm sure we will be a "force to reckon with"...

Cheers Spectre - always a pleasure!!

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Hmmm.. using SETI to search for ET intelligence is akin to trying to re-invent the wheel, or discover indoor plumbing.

It's like an ant looking around for humans, while sitting on someone's kitchen table, and then concluding that humans must not yet exist since he cannot see them 0.00001 millimeters from his face.

There is much evidence that ET's are here, and have been here for a very long "time". As they fly around your SETI telescopes, they mentally roll their eyes at the ignorance of mankind, which THEY themselves promote for the purposes of control and feeding.

But don't take my word for it, please, continue to crunch all your SETI numbers, it is as helpful as sunday Church

The irony... the people who created the whole concept of SETI are aware of ET's that are already here, but nevertheless they do this to create the illusion that they're desperately trying to find life "out there". Hey, it's working, isn't it? Keeps you preoccupied...

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Hi lilblam!!

Thanx for your contribution to this thread. I'm delighted to see that you truly live by your maxim that "Knowledge Protects: Ignorance Endangers".

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Archive post

SETI@work

90 Active members: 192 inactive members, 217.6 WU per day, 101 428 WU's at Thu Apr 1 19:06:07 2004 UTC

ATS SETI@home stats

101 374WU's, 282 members in 115.400 CPU years at Thu Apr 1 14:09:24 2004 UTC

BOINC

Members 29, Total credit 9190.86, Recent average credit 432.23, at 29th position out of 890 total teams.

Well done ATS BOINC and SETI@home teams!!

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Hi all!!

Another archive post as we approach - I suspect - the end of SETI@home (though still no news on this so far!)

SETI@work

91 Active users: 193 Inactive users, 228.1WU's per day, Total WU's = 102 368WU's at Mon Apr 5 18:25:20 2004 UTC

ATS SETI@home team stats

284 members, 102 319WU's in 116.219 CPU years at Mon Apr 5 13:02:42 2004 UTC

ATS BOINC team

Members = 29, with 20 being active, Total credit = 11 242.13, Recent average credit = 458.12.

Position = 28th out of 898 teams!!

Great work teams - keep on crunching!!

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I just hit 700 work units! Woohoo! I can hardly wait until I get 1000.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyarlathotep
I just hit 700 work units! Woohoo! I can hardly wait until I get 1000.

Way to go nyarlathotep!!

The 1k is particulary nice to receive: after that, certificates get further - and further - apart!!

Thanx for the commitment to the project - I hope you will go on and run BOINC when SETI@home is discontinued?

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Hi gang!!

Latest update as follows:

SETI@work

92 active members: 193 inactive members, 238.9WU's average per day, 103 036WU's total at Thu Apr 8 10:13:31 2004 UTC

World positition 882 in all teams

ATS SETI@home stats

103 019WU's, 285 members, 116.808 CPU years, at Thu Apr 8 08:58:21 2004 UTC

ATS BOINC

Members = 30 (20 submitting data), Total credit = 12556.54, Recent average credit = 475.69, position 28th out of 901 teams.

Great work people!!

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genya
Hi lilblam!!

Thanx for your contribution to this thread. I'm delighted to see that you truly live by your maxim that "Knowledge Protects: Ignorance Endangers".

You're very welcome!

I do have a question... do you guys do this as more of a hobby, a group activity to promote the community on ATS.. or are you seriously hoping that some intelligent pattern will be detected and through this Extra Terrestrials will be discovered? Wouldn't it make sense that if they were out there, they'd already KNOW of our existance, and would only let US know of their existance if they wanted us to know?

When you go to the zoo, do you think the monkeys know you're coming before you intentionally LET the monkeys see you? Are you not the one in control here, due to your freedom and higher awareness? So why do people think the SETI thing is any different than this analogy? We're trapped on this globe like monkeys in a zoo, looking for beings of higher awareness, hoping our telescopes will detect them.

I'd appreciate if you could give me your opinion on these matters.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Hello, lilblam. Let me put my opinion into the ring, for what it's worth.
SETI is for me primarily a great hobby. I compare it to people who are really into race cars. The goal of street racing is to take an ordinary car, tweak it to get the most performance possible out of the platform, then run it against someone else�s car and see how it does. SETI and computers work much the same way for me. Take some ordinary PC and squeeze as much performance out of it as I can to see how many work units I can hammer out in a certain period of time. Since I have moved out of the computer hardware scene at work this is a great excuse to "get my hands dirty" again. The added bonus is the possibility, however slim, that we might detect a signal from an E.T.

The analogy you used assumes that the E.T. signal comes from a race that is more advanced than our own and that the signal would be an intentional message to get our attention. I think that it is equally likely that we might detect some sort of signal that is not necessarily directed toward us but has leaked out across the cosmos from a world that is on par with our development. Nothing would make me much happier than discovering that we are not alone in the universe and that another race was trying to contact us, but I am not going to bet the farm on it. SETI@Home is a good way for me to feel like I am contributing to the search.

ATS has a great SETI team and yes, it does foster a sense of joint effort and community. It certainly gave me a sense of belonging when I was really new to the board and a bit of pride that I could help the team make a good showing in the final tally of work complete. I feel like I have helped some people, at least a little, with some computer problems and made their experience a little more positive.

ATS members in general and ATS-SETI members in particular were uniformly very gracious and kind to me as a new member and made me feel welcome right off the bat. Just as Carl Sagan's book "Contact" had a great impact on my as a youth, ATS and Team-SETI have been very influential in a positive way.

That about sums it up for ole Spectre. See you around, lilblam.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Looks like big things are afoot for SETI-ATS. When I check in tomorrow it looks like we will have stepped up three or four places in the overall list of teams, beating Florida State University, which is impressive. Genya will break into the 5k club and a few other members are rocketing toward that mark, DiRtYDeViL especially. This is just great stuff everyone!

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 02:26 AM
link   
yes spectre , it's good to see our team is still alive and kicking, even after losing some to BOINC and the loss of Publius (who never did read the U2U I sent him.)
congratulations in advance to Genya who is just 2 WU away from his goal of 5000

I managed to reach the 500 mark last week which I know dosn't really compare to you guys, lol, but I'm pretty chuffed about it.
It's also good to see that we are still attracting new members to the team. I noticed 3 when I checked yesterday.
Lets all keep the good work up and get as far up that board as we can

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Oh, Pantha, I hope I didn't give the impression that some contributions were more important than others. 500 is nothing to sneeze at! I remember how hard it was to get there "back in the day." The fact that our relatively small team is passing by universities and large comanies is a testament to the persistence and dedication of all the members. I have switched all my personal PCs over to BOINC and they are working OK, but I sort of regret not working on the original S@H any more. Call it nostalgia.

I predict ATS BOINC is going to kick just as much a$$ as the original.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
no don't worry spectre , you've never given me that impression, it's just that I really admire those that are right at the top of the board for their dedication, I'm a bit in awe of you all.
I still can't make up my mind about changing over to BOINC, it's hard to make the break, but I will have to do it some time soon, I don't want to be left trailing too far behind on the ATS BOINC team board.

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Hi all!!

First, just to say "sorry" for being "off station" for the past three days or so - no problems here, but Easter saw me and my partner visiting her folks and they don't have internet access (nor, indeed, a computer - for shame!)

Well, 5kWU's reached by me on Saturday which was particularly pleasing: I made sure that I downloaded the "cert" before we left to travel the 100-odd miles to the "in-laws"!! I'm now wondering when to change over to BOINC ie whether to run beta/ alpha or wait for the "official" move. At the moment, I'm once again running my cached units down (I inflated these to cover the time I'd be away) so I won't move immediately. I'm being chased predominently by Dirtydevil, of course, who's wading in with 30+ WU's daily. However, Sinchron (where he??) is a tempting "target" and I might just stick around until then. I reckon Bob is "safe" from me, though I think I could catch him in a year or so... Spectre is very much unassailable, of course. Although, if I had another two or three years...

lilblam - thanx for your comments and questions about why we run SETI@home. I think Spectre's answers sum up my viewpoint in fact.

First off, I "found" ATS through SETI@home, rather than the other way round, so I'm quite committed to S@h. Originally, I wanted to see how "fast" my machine was compared with others: S@h was used until comparatively recently as a test (by Personal Computer World) for processing power (they used a "standard" work unit and ran 1% of it on each platform to see how long it took to crunch if I remember correctly?).

However, I mainly run SETI@home because I *can*. That means that I have two relatively fast machines which would otherwise be shut down when I'd finished using them. To *me* that seems a waste of money and resource - that SETI@home can use my machines when I don't require them actually suits my outlook - I generally replace alternate machines every 18 months to two years (in line with Moores Law) and the relative expense of doing so (by running my machines 24/7 with SETI@home) makes the cost seem "cheap" ie �1000 spread over 2 years at 24/7 usage seems cheaper (to me) than the same cost spread over a couple of hours per evening when I email, etc. See what I mean? Yes, there's running costs, like electricity, of course, but this is relatively cheap as you'll know.

I run SETI@home because they mirror my two main hobbies, which are astronomy and amateur radio. Where else could I use the data derived from the worlds largest radio telescope if not with SETI@home? By doing so, along with the 5 million other users who chose to run it, I hope I'm contributing a little to genuine research. OK, I'm realistic and realise that the chances of finding ET through SETI@home are very remote - but, if we don't *try*, then surely we are missing an opportunity that *might* provide evidence of some anomalous signal?

As Spectre has said, certainly the "esprit de corps" expressed in the ATS SETI@home (and BOINC team of course!!) is fantastic. We're by no means "elite" as anyone - and everyone - is welcome to join. However, we are all realists here and appreciate that running the program (either S@h or BOINC) is not to everyone's taste. Fair enough, no harm done. However, for those that do, then being part of the ATS team(s) gives a common interest and a greater goal - the "team" continues to grow, increases the amount of data processed and - possibily - flags ATS to other SETI-crunchers when they browse for a team to join (as happened to me). And that can only be good for ATS and our teams too - what is called a "win-win" situation I believe?

I hope that goes some way to explaining my POV lilblam?? Thank you for your interest!!

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by Genya]

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
1 WU complete in 6 minutes
O yea...

and now on 104 WU's and counting.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Just to record present progress:

SETI@Work

Active members = 94 : Inactive members = 195. 259.6 WU's per day average, Total = 105 732 WU's at Fri Apr 16 19:13:17 2004 UTC. Global team position = 873

ATS SETI@home stats

289 members, 105 726WU's in 119.629 CPU years at Fri Apr 16 18:40:10 2004 UTC

ATS BOINC

Members = 33 (23 active members), Total credit = 15 909.36, Recent average credit = 505.45, 29th out of 922 teams

Cracking stuff - keep "cracking" ATS BOINC and SETI@home teams!!

posted on Apr, 22 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Hi all!

First, apologies if it seems my WU returns have been lower than usual: they have been!
Since Monday, we've had additional electrical sockets/ lights/ gizmos put into the house (finished today) so both machines have been switched off whilst I've been out (the electrician has been interrupting the current occasionally as he's extended the ring main. Anyway, the task is now complete (though *lots* of plastering for me to do to hide his cable runs of course!)

Anyway, I digress:

SETI@Work

93 active memebers: 197 inactive members, 255.0 WU's per day, total = 106 942WU's at Thu Apr 22 19:15:43 2004 UTC

853rd in Global team position!

ATS SETI@home stats

290 members, 106 727WU's in 120.409 CPU years at Wed Apr 21 14:16:07 2004

ATS BOINC team

Members 33 (22 active), Total credit 17086.30, Recent average credit 334.42

29th out of 932 teams

GREAT job everybody!

DirtyDevil is about 12 days away from overtaking me, incidentally - way to go!! I have my sights on Sinchron, of course (where he go??)

Catch ya later people!

posted on Apr, 26 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Hi all!!

SETI@Work

89 active members: 203 Inactive members, 244.7WU's average per day, 107 921WU's total at Mon Apr 26 19:25:56 2004 UTC.

ATS Stats board

292 members, 107 892WU's, 121.456 CPU years at Mon Apr 26 09:36:25 2004 UTC

ATS BOINC team

Members 34 (22 active), Total credit = 18 721.55, Recent average credit = 359.19

29th out of 942 teams worldwide!!

GREAT job people!!

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join