It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***46000 WU's!!!***

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Hi folks!!!

I've just checked the ATS group on SETI@home and it's showing 46000 WU's exactly at 18:34:57!!

I thought that was quite a nice milestone - well done, all you number-crunchers!!

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 02:43 PM
link   
now if we could just get more people to pertisipate

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by baked

....we'd be up to 50000 in no time at all!!

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Genya

And well done, too, for the fantastic increase in membership as well everybody!! Couldn't believe the increase in ATS SETI stats - now showing as 48607 WU's at 14:36:31 in 63.091 yrs with 181 users. 50kWU's by Christmas, anybody??

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:06 AM
link   

And well done, too, for the fantastic increase in membership as well everybody!! Couldn't believe the increase in ATS SETI stats - now showing as 48607 WU's at 14:36:31 in 63.091 yrs with 181 users. 50kWU's by Christmas, anybody??

I think we can hit that by christmas!

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   

10 days - 1393 work units remaining??Shall we start a "book"?? What odds are we quoting baked??!!

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I would consider participating...

would someone explain to me exactly what this is... in laymans terms ?

seriously, and also, how much of my computers resources would this take up, would I have to leave my computer on all of the time ?

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Elevated...there are two options you have after installing it. One, is to have it run only in a screensaver mode. The other is to have it run all the time (it says it doesn't eat up much system resources in this mode) I have it set for screensaver mode and i keep my computer running most of the time.
As for an explanation on the program itself. SETI recieves radio signals from space with various antenna arrays (Aricebo,PR is one of them). The amount of data they collect would take hundreds of years to sift through using a few computers, so they designed this coordinated computing effort to look for any signal that might be repeated or different than any of the rest. This is the Holy Grail of ET searchers.
By distributing the work load, they have multiplied their computing power by each person that downloads and runs it.

[Edited on 12-16-2003 by darklanser]

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Cool !!! I would love to join in, however, the computer that I am usually on is my work computer, so I don't want to do that.

The computer at home is really my Gal's, I'm not sure how she would react to me doing this, I'll talk to her tonight... she's pretty skeptical when it comes to ET's and UFO's !

we'll see, wish me luck !

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 07:38 PM
link   

10 days - 1393 work units remaining??Shall we start a "book"?? What odds are we quoting baked??!!

On 12/12/03 we had 46000, which started this thread.
Today is the 15th which is 3 days later and we have 48,642, that = 2642 done in 3 days.
Wait

How did that happen??
Someone must have joined with an azz load of points.
I honestly forgot Christmas was so close, I still am thinking I have a month....damn.
Well, now that I think about it, it would take some major number crunching to make it.
I am putting out close to 15 wu's a day. so you can count me for atleast 150 wu's

L8R
Baked

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I'm thinking about putting SETI@home on a Windows NT workstation with about a half gig of RAM so I can really start cranking out some WUs. Right now I do 1 a day, 3 if I leave the computer on all day and night, which doesn't happen often. I want to start using a faster system, or multiple systems and decode more stuff. I want ATS to find something.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:32 PM
link   
i'm not trying to quash your joy, but do you ever think that this linking of computers into a psuedo neural net is like a precursor to "skynet"? or the "trapper-keeper" of south park? a test program to work out some bugs for a big brother info-gathering scenario?

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:37 PM
link   
billybob,

there you go raining on the parade again!

LOL!

I gotta hand it too you man, you see through the numbers.

From my limited knowledge of computers I doubt there is a secure machine on the net anywhere. Many are saying that the future is distributed computing like the Seti project is a good example of, but I have to agree with you that there are security concerns etc.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by billybob
i'm not trying to quash your joy, but do you ever think that this linking of computers into a psuedo neural net is like a precursor to "skynet"? or the "trapper-keeper" of south park? a test program to work out some bugs for a big brother info-gathering scenario?

I've thought about it, but if that's the case it's really no different than using a Microsoft product on your computer, or having your computer connected to the internet. Some spywares can not be gotten rid of.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by THENEO
billybob,

there you go raining on the parade again!

LOL!

I gotta hand it too you man, you see through the numbers.

From my limited knowledge of computers I doubt there is a secure machine on the net anywhere. Many are saying that the future is distributed computing like the Seti project is a good example of, but I have to agree with you that there are security concerns etc.

HAHAHA! fun, eh? i'm not sayin', i'm just sayin'.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Would they not just use windows update to watch us.

If they really want in to my machine they will get in it.

I trust my lil nerd friends to tear these programs apart and look for stuff like that.

I'm sure for every person that puts one in a program there is a person that looks for them in the program too.

xn

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Anyone ever wonder how one person could finish like over a 100,000 WUs?

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 08:57 AM
link   
No doubt!
Must have one hell of a computer or computers.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by xn

Good question!! Reading peoples profiles on SETI can be illuminating!!

I remember one guy (no, I can't recall his details unfortunately) was an Administrator at a LARGE college/ University in the States (*that* narrows it down a bit!!
)

Anyway, he had access to 4000 - FOUR Thousand - networked computers that we on the campus and had installed SETI by default on every machine. Then, he left a message on each machine informing the students if they wanted to "remove" it (rather than install it - and - hey presto - he was processing about 4000 WU's every day. Rather humbling, I thought...

Here, I'm using two networked machines from home - both P4 - 2.0GHz and 2.6GHz - which return about 10 WU's a day. They are left on continually and the program runs in the background. Having a cable modem menas that they conect automatically too, so, barring SETI server hanging (it does!), then the process is fairly automatic.

*My* SETI user profile will explain a bit more if you're interested!!

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by xn

Could be a group using the same username. I think that's possible. So if 20 or 30 computer buddies are sharing the same username, it would look like one person is cranking out the W.U.'s.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join