It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

infrared

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Hi, I've seen videos about ordinary video cameras that are somehow adapted to "see" in infrared, making it easier to see some things in the sky that we cannot ordinarily see with the naked eye. My question is how do you modify a camera to accomplish this?
thanks for any and all advice.
Also, if anyone has a link to those kinds of videos I'd love to see.
Thanks again.Text

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This might be of help
video.google.com...

At the beginning you will see about an old way, which might be inderested for you.
Check it out

If you are new to photographing i suggest you not to lose the 4 first track seconds.
Nightvision in broad daylight is the key
hope i was of assistance

[edit on 7-1-2007 by Dragonlike]

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 09:30 PM
link   
And by the way, if it is to start monitoring the skies, try to use cameras of the latest tecnology with excellent analysis. This also gives you validity and do not make the world wonder:
''Is it a bird,
Is it a rocket,
Is it a UFO?''

''No, it's... cloud''

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
i wish i had that camera

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Being someone that has a number of captures under his belt I can attest to the fact that IR (infrared) doe indeed work. But I must warn against using Niteshot (or other IR modes) on 95% of all camcorders as it will ruin the camcorder's ccd's. Only a small majority of 'early niteshot' camcorders are capable of shooting during the daytime without harm. A few of these 'safe models' include:

Sony CCD-TRV85
Sony CCD-TRV75
Sony CCD TRV68
Sony CCD-TRV65

These Hi8 camcorders were manufactured in 1998 before Sony disabled daylight infrared recording. It produces outstanding infrared video will full aperture and shutter speed control while in NightShot mode. Without the IR filter, it also produces superb color video. Sony quit manufacturing camcorders capable of daylight infrared recording in August 1998 and has not manufactured them since.

The above camcorders can be gotten off eBay for anywhere from $100.00-$250.00 (just looked at a listing for a brand new one for a $250 buy it now, which ain't bad)

Now there is a workaround that I use and that is with a screw-on IR filter lense.. for example a Hoya R72 filter... you can go to a stronger IR bandwidth but it gets very dark and grainy.

I'm including probably the most watched example of something caught on IR.
I first observed by the naked eye while there was still enough ambient light. Then as it got darker I switched to NiteShot mode. When you get to the last few seconds you see me switch from NiteShot to regular mode and back again to NiteShot. When switched in the regular mode... the debris was not visible..

BTW.. it's funny. I submit my report and footage to two reputable UFO reporting places and soon they get plastered on youtube and google.. Irony is a weird thing...

www.youtube.com...

The link below is to a 6meg video file of an object captured with a 750nm filter behind a tree that i captured in May of 2006 in the early afternoon. i had been trailing near clouds and chemtrails while using a R72 IR filter when an object popped out. I was unable to see it with the naked eye or thru my binoculars (which are attached in tandem with my camcorder (see below photo).

www.megaupload.com...

Anyway as I get back on subject... the only way you can use a "after 1998" camcorder's NiteShot is to have it professionally modified.. otherwise you will ruin your camcorder if you use NiteShot during the day... read the manual, it even says the warrenty will be void if you do.. So unless you find a pre-1998 model, then the the filters are your best bet...

PRICES: Anywhere from $30.00-$150.00 depending on what the quality is in the glass. And eBay would be your best chance of a one-stop shop and/or explore.

Also type in X-Ray camcorder in the search and you'll pull up all sorts of info (both eBay and Google).

Other threads here that talked about IR are:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

A few external articles on IR and UV:

www.wrotniak.net...
dpfwiw.com...

How to modify a digital cameras CCD's for IR (not for the fumble-thumbed)
geektechnique.org...
www.abe.msstate.edu...
www.jr-worldwi.de...
www.hidden-truth.net...

Don't want to modify.. look here for a nice camera:
www.dpreview.com...

Most of all the above links were courtesy of numerous ATS members and myself from prior threads.

Hope this has been helpful ....

Johnny

[edit on 8-1-2007 by JohnnyAnonymous]

[edit on 8-1-2007 by JohnnyAnonymous]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I dug thru a number of my bookmarks and did come up with another alternative (thats also very cheap) that can be used on almost all Sony Camcorders.
I personally just tried the lens-cap experiment on two of my Sony's (with the NiteShot on) and it worked very well in the daylite (earlier today). I'd like to add that if you do the lenscap (actually a film cap that fits inside the female lens thread), to use a small
tack or needle, as the smaller the hole the better... you will also need to zoom in to hide the viginetteing circular walls (this will make more since as you try it). In a way, your duplicateing the aperture like a old-style pin-hole camera... But it does work and quite well too...

www.x-raycameras.com...

Also for other information check here:

Filters:
www.camerafilters.com...
www.x-raycameras.com...

Workarounds (including modifying the ccd):

www.x-raycameras.com...

Johnny

[edit on 13-1-2007 by JohnnyAnonymous]

posted on Jan, 13 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Strange...

I had a very vivid dream last night that i somehow used infrared to to capture a fleet of UFO's on camera.

top topics

join