It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potential health issues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Today I was online looking at army/navy store stuff. I was bookmarking items that I would like to have. In my surfing, I came across something new to me. It's called Moleskin. This is an adheisive padding that can be applied directly to the feet to minimize blisters as well as surrounding existing ones so that you can keep moving. Here is the site where I found the info. www.thewalkingsite.com...

We covered proper footcare elsewhere, but this was not included. I wanted to pitch this thread out there to encompass situations where minor annoyances can become real problems. Reading about plant life that is indigenous to your area will help you to find remedies to ailments if drugs aren't available. Great care should be exercised when studying alternative medicines.

i.e. headaches, weeping willow tree bark can remedy this.
Quinine (an alkaloid) is extracted from the natural bark of Cinchona trees and sold as a prescription drug to treat malaria.
Baking soda, or bicarbonate of soda can be made into a paste and applied to minor burns for fast relief.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
If you get a cut anywhere you should wrap it real quickly so it doesn't get infected. You don't want to have an infected cut when you're lost.

And unlike the Man V Wild show I suggest you travel slowly and carefully. One of the worst situations would be to break a leg or even an ankle when you're stranded.

Plus try to always boil the water you find. You don't want to get any parasites or other nasty bacterias.

EDIT: I hope this is what the thread is about - small problems that can get big. If not - really sorry, didn't understand

[edit on 7/1/2007 by enjoies05]

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Mole skin and mole foam are great and in common use. Getting a blister on your feet can become a serious problem if left untreated. I keep some in my med kit as a standard item.

If you have the fuel, and the time, the boiling water is a great way to make it safe. A good filter, such as the Katadyn, will do the job quicker without fuel.

Before you wrap that cut, clean it and add some Neosporin, or similar salve to prevent infection. Wrapping an unclean cut just makes a cozy place for infection to set in.

I am not certain that most of the folks on ATS would be able to identify a Chinchona tree, found only in South America, but having a good understanding of herbal remedies is a good idea.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Here in Vancouver, we're blessed with a wide array of naturally growing antiseptics, antibiotics and more than a few medicinal herbs and shrubs that if prepared properly can be very helpful. Old growth and calssified as rain forest so we have a bit of a bonus there...

My big concern is, having had pneumonia three times now - staving off a serious bout of it under the worst conditions. The damp is brutal and Vancouver (Most of BC generally) is always damp. Staying dry is a huge priority when it came to my pack. That was one thing.

Knowing the natural flora and fauna was another.

Also having some standard homeopathic remedies in dried or liquid form and knowing how to use em...

The draw back is that many have a very short shelf life and we've taken to using and replacing them quite often. Cold formulas primarily. But truthfully if your diet is crap and stress is high, the effectiveness is diminished greatly and/or entirely as they are reliant on a good diet and much less stress to the immune system. A real brutal emergency would render them virtually useless. Some are even highly dependent on a lot of water intake or liver damage is possible...potable water may not be readily available in large enough quantities.

I'm trying to get a list together of the standard shelf life of some important antibiotics as well. general antibiotics as well as those for skin infections. Again some antibiotics like homeopathic remedies requires water intake beyond what may be possible.

because it's so damp here which makes skin softer and more apt to bruising, cuts, heavier bleeding and blistering...I've really made more effort in the "stay dry" area.

Even moleskin under very wet conditions doesn't prevent blistering of tender water logged tootsies. Better to make sure you have well fitting footwear(that is fast drying and as waterproof as possible without entirely limiting air circulation...) and socks. Good laces that won;'t loosen too much in wet weather causing feet to slip around. Pressure points in shoes and friction against soggy skin is a worry here with the damp.

I've been really busy lately and not able to post much of my stuff here, I'm trying to get it all typed out for posting...good topic and questions.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
enjoies05 you are on the same wave length as me for this thread.
Terapin, I agree about the identification issues, I think if the person can identify some local key plants, it will be another survival tool.
I was pulling some random plants out of the air.

posted on Jan, 9 2007 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Here's some websites that I've come across:

Indian plant remedies

Plant Page Index

small list of plant remedies

Another index of plants

Best option is to find a good plant remedy book that you can carry with you -- preferably of your area, but even in general. Never know if you might have to pack up and move someplace else!

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   
One of the BEST antibiotics around, that will also cure Giardia is good old Garlic. You can keep a cut from being infected, cure athletes foot, fight a common cold, and cook a great dinner with garlic. If you would like more specific info, I posted some links in the Random Survival Tips thread.

(For those of you who don't know, Giardia is the most common problem with drinking unfiltered water. it is caused by a protozoan and results in chronic diarrhea. It is a problem world wide, even in the best of places)

new topics

top topics

join